Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo cant diagnose problem, but suggest fuel pump

Views : 741

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2022, 20:40   #1
R50dym

Default Volvo cant diagnose problem, but suggest fuel pump

Hi Everyone

I have a 2011 s60 d3 (163)
A couple of months back the car a couple of times on different dates cranked but didnt start. I would leave for a minute and try again and it would start.
The car then had a stalling problem where id pull out of a t junction for example and it would just cut out.
This got worse to the point where it was doing it every 200 meters, cutting out but starting back up fine.
Took to volvo, code read fuel pressure regulator. But upon test driving it the car behaved. They suggested a fuel filter change, the old one was filled with muck.
After this the car is behaving for a few weeks. No stalling.
Then one afternoon the car didnt want to start. Cranks but no start. AA came and it read no codes but the fuel pressure was down to 8 bar, then dropped to 0 bar.
He used some fuel spray which got it going a bit but ofcourse its just the starter spray.
After not getting it to start it went back to volvo. More diagnostics but no codes. They even got it to start and managed to start it perfectly and drive it with no problems for a few days making the issue harder to find.
They have suggested a fuel pump but they cant assure me that this is 100 percent the problem. I went to collect the car today. Didnt want to start. The tech guy tried about 4 times with a small interval of 3 minutes between the 3rd and 4th try and it just about started up.
But again they have advised the best thing to do at this stage is the fuel pump.

From the symptoms does this sound about right?
Its a needle in a haystack with no codes showing up as they cant seem to get to the bottom of it. Spending 800 odd quid on something if it wont be the issue will be extremeley unlucky though.

Thank you so much if anyone could give some wisdom 🙂
R50dym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2022, 21:34   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R50dym View Post
Hi Everyone

I have a 2011 s60 d3 (163)
A couple of months back the car a couple of times on different dates cranked but didnt start. I would leave for a minute and try again and it would start.
The car then had a stalling problem where id pull out of a t junction for example and it would just cut out.
This got worse to the point where it was doing it every 200 meters, cutting out but starting back up fine.
Took to volvo, code read fuel pressure regulator. But upon test driving it the car behaved. They suggested a fuel filter change, the old one was filled with muck.
After this the car is behaving for a few weeks. No stalling.
Then one afternoon the car didnt want to start. Cranks but no start. AA came and it read no codes but the fuel pressure was down to 8 bar, then dropped to 0 bar.
He used some fuel spray which got it going a bit but ofcourse its just the starter spray.
After not getting it to start it went back to volvo. More diagnostics but no codes. They even got it to start and managed to start it perfectly and drive it with no problems for a few days making the issue harder to find.
They have suggested a fuel pump but they cant assure me that this is 100 percent the problem. I went to collect the car today. Didnt want to start. The tech guy tried about 4 times with a small interval of 3 minutes between the 3rd and 4th try and it just about started up.
But again they have advised the best thing to do at this stage is the fuel pump.

From the symptoms does this sound about right?
Its a needle in a haystack with no codes showing up as they cant seem to get to the bottom of it. Spending 800 odd quid on something if it wont be the issue will be extremeley unlucky though.

Thank you so much if anyone could give some wisdom 🙂
Have they put a pressure gauge on the fuel feed from the TANK pump to the main High pressure pump and found it to be about 5 bar when you are trying to start it ? ? they should know how to diagnose basic problems like this . that's what you pay them for and they should keep the car until its fixed . let them decide if it is the main pump , and if it is not dont let them charge you for a pump you don't need .
Old May 6th, 2022, 22:14   #3
R50dym

I would assume they have? I was told they have tried everything with it and they check everything.

Would that also be what the AA used, which read the pressure?

I find it frustrating that its in the best place it can be whicb is its own brand garage with volvo techies yet they cant confirm the problem 😫

I had to pay a fee for the diagnostics as well even though they couldnt find the fault and are going on the info ive goven with what the car has been doing.

I mean cross fingers a new fuel pump will solve the problem.
R50dym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 15:35   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R50dym View Post
I would assume they have? I was told they have tried everything with it and they check everything.

Would that also be what the AA used, which read the pressure?

I find it frustrating that its in the best place it can be whicb is its own brand garage with volvo techies yet they cant confirm the problem 😫

I had to pay a fee for the diagnostics as well even though they couldnt find the fault and are going on the info ive goven with what the car has been doing.

I mean cross fingers a new fuel pump will solve the problem.
they cant change the pump unless they have proved it faulty .. who knows what they are doing ...

Tags
5 cylinder engine, fuel pump, no fault codes, not starting