Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to the XC90 fold, bye XC70

Views : 6519

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2019, 20:42   #21
CondorXC90

Parking sensors for the fronts need a loom and the volvo sensors - the loom attaches to the control box in the rear and the sensors into the bumper.
Definitely not worth over £800!!!

There are independent companies who will come to you to fit front sensors - google Dolphin parking sensors as an example - or just generally google front parking sensors xc90 and a number of such companies pop up. You could also buy a wireless set built into a numberplate surround for under £50 ......wiring is simple and no bumper cuts needed - will help your tight parking in Brighton albeit not perfect and not OEM.........

You could call FRF in Swansea and ask for a price for the loom and sensors and get a decent indy to fit them? worth checking out the pricing if you want the OEM front sensors

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 21:03   #22
JRL
Master Member

I assume the £800 quote included a car attached to the front parking sensors? Seriously...that is complete madness. Shop around, as said above there are many companies who will fit sensors for you at a fraction of that price.

As for the lights, I have to say I am not impressed with the Xenon's fitted to my car and talking to my mechanic I get the same impression from him. He sees a lot of older cars coming in with Xenon headlights that simply do not work properly.

LED's are the future, if I was you I would be doing some research in that direction if you want to improve your headlights.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 23:00   #23
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
LED's are the future, if I was you I would be doing some research in that direction if you want to improve your headlights.
I remember when Halogens were the future.

Xenons were the future 10 years ago and now??

Where will LEDs be 10 years from now?

Replaced by lasers?

Honestly, align the lamps properly and they work well, Whether Halogen, Xenon, LED or Laser....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 15:38   #24
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

LED's are the future - one new cars - they will never be a upgrade for halogen as they needs specifically designed optics.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 22:16   #25
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Are you honestly saying that you have paid £120 for someone to replace two CR batteries in the car's key fobs????
Sorry, that should have read £12,- Am not technical and willing to spend money to get everything in order yet indeed £120 would be sheer stupidity that even I could not justify ;-)

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlainBrighton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 22:20   #26
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondorXC90 View Post
Parking sensors for the fronts need a loom and the volvo sensors - the loom attaches to the control box in the rear and the sensors into the bumper.
Definitely not worth over £800!!!

There are independent companies who will come to you to fit front sensors - google Dolphin parking sensors as an example - or just generally google front parking sensors xc90 and a number of such companies pop up. You could also buy a wireless set built into a numberplate surround for under £50 ......wiring is simple and no bumper cuts needed - will help your tight parking in Brighton albeit not perfect and not OEM.........

You could call FRF in Swansea and ask for a price for the loom and sensors and get a decent indy to fit them? worth checking out the pricing if you want the OEM front sensors
That is quite helpful and thank you so much for your input, Condor ! Not OEM is not a dealbreaker, not having front parking sensors would be. Will have to check with my local Volvo Indie if they are comfortable with this The wireless set in a numberplate surround sound just about right !

But just for my own understanding as me being a non-native English speaker is challenging at times: loom is a wiring loom ? Just 4 genuine Volvo parking sensors and they would then connect to the same system that works for the rear ones ?

Old Jan 27th, 2020, 22:32   #27
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I remember when Halogens were the future.

Xenons were the future 10 years ago and now??

Where will LEDs be 10 years from now?

Replaced by lasers?

Honestly, align the lamps properly and they work well, Whether Halogen, Xenon, LED or Laser....
When being over in the Netherlands one of the bulbs died and I set out to have a struggle with the headlights ... pleasantly surprised when I noticed that with removing the clips I could take out the whole headlight unit. Have replaced the with Osram Nightbreaker Laser and although I have a serious question mark over their claims of brightness and distance, the pattern is now evenly spread so happy with that for now. But on the bendy West Sussex and East Sussex roads I still find the performance of halogen a bit challenging ..... and from what I read before here, LED is not road legal in the UK or the EU, right ?

As Volvo is particularly popular in the Netherlands, I managed to source 4 Camulus 18" alloys with Michelin Lattitude tyres with a lot of thread on it and also have Continental Winter Contact tyres on the Camulus set that is under the car right now. Costed roughly £180 so quite a steal !

If you need to source a second set of wheels, do give www.marktplaats.nl a go (equivalent to Gumtree) for all kinds of 17" and 18" wheels.

Further managed to source a great set of Thule roof bars so that is another box ticked.

Also got in contact with Marshalls in Bishops' Stortford who were quite willing to stamp my newly acquired service book with the 8 services they have performed already. Since the last service was in January 2018 at around 90K (car has now done 100K) I will go there and have the car serviced at the same time bringing 8 liters of Castrol Edge 0W30 which they are willing to put in.
Just wondering now if I can have the lights programmed to stay on after locking the car, what other functions can be programmed on the remote fobs ?

Last but not least, has anyone got an idea if this might work on my car ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-Full-...g/401324029497

I have an engineering friend who is quite handy and hoping to ask him if this could be fit to the car, perhaps even taking away the need for the parking sensors ..... :-) Come to think of it, he might be able to help me fitting the loom and sensors or the wireless kit in the numberplate surround CondorXC90 recommended !

Old Jan 30th, 2020, 18:16   #28
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Just wondering now if I can have the lights programmed to stay on after locking the car and what other functions can be programmed through the remote fobs ? Anyone who knows ?

Cheers !

Old Jan 30th, 2020, 18:32   #29
nickoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainBrighton View Post
Just wondering now if I can have the lights programmed to stay on after locking the car and what other functions can be programmed through the remote fobs ? Anyone who knows ?

Cheers !
Not sure about programming the lights to stay on, but do you know about the 'home safe' lights function, where you pull the left stalk towards you before leaving the car... this will leave lights on for 30 secs after you lock the vehicle.

Apologies if this is not what you were thinking of.
nickoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickoso For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 00:03   #30
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoso View Post
Not sure about programming the lights to stay on, but do you know about the 'home safe' lights function, where you pull the left stalk towards you before leaving the car... this will leave lights on for 30 secs after you lock the vehicle.

Apologies if this is not what you were thinking of.
Sounds pretty good and helpful on the dark drive of my girlfriend in the countryside ! I was not aware of that at all.

One other thing I will ask at Marshall’s tomorrow if they can program my mirrors so they will fold automatically once locked !

Thanks again, Nick !