Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket fuel pump for the T4

Views : 2625

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 13:13   #1
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Thumbs up Aftermarket fuel pump for the T4

My pump has been making odd noises for a while (as if the flow is inconsistent or something). However I can't find an original replacement anywhere close, the supposedly equivalent pumps offered by other companies have suspiciously low flow rates, I believe for a T4 the flow rate should be at least 150 lph @ 3 bar.

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone stating that they fit a Walbro GSS342 255 lph unit without any problems. I think it was 960kg? However I see that it lacks the little green pipe on the side, which as I understand throws the fuel into the fuel sender canister thing, and fuel is then picked up from there. Won't this cause any problems? Any other recommendations, maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: gif gss342.gif (46.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg oem.jpg (85.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by ww1dm1; Jun 2nd, 2016 at 15:42.
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ww1dm1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 19:04   #2
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post
My pump has been making odd noises for a while (as if the flow is inconsistent or something). However I can't find an original replacement anywhere close, the supposedly equivalent pumps offered by other companies have suspiciously low flow rates, I believe for a T4 the flow rate should be at least 150 lph @ 3 bar.

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone stating that they fit a Walbro GSS342 255 lph unit without any problems. I think it was 960kg? However I see that it lacks the little green pipe on the side, which as I understand throws the fuel into the fuel sender canister thing, and fuel is then picked up from there. Won't this cause any problems? Any other recommendations, maybe?
It doesn`t cause any problems because the inlet is offset on the bottom of the pump so it is roughly equal to where the green spigot is by the time the filter plastic part is added.

The size hole on the offset inlet 342 is about the same size as the centre std. inlet.

The actual whole plastic pot (canister thingy) sits on the bottom of the tank and squashes up on the springs as you tighten the large ring nut on the top of the plastic pot. So the std. pump sucks in fuel through the filter actually from the bottom of the tank!.....so it can get clogged easier?

When the fuel is low the green spigot on the side of the std. pump takes over as it keeps the plastic pot filled with fuel so no hesitations when pulling away or going up steep hills.

On the 342 the offset inlet keeps the plastic pot filled anyway so fuel is there throughout but it is slightly higher than the std. and so does not drag up the crap and fill the filter so much.

I believe their are three filters around the the large filter and one has a one way valve in it to keep fuel in the plastic pot for when needed.

When fitting the 342 the bottom filters are kept but the one supplied is modified so not to use the gauze part ....

These are std. fitment to Subaru`s and they only use one filter so no problems at all.

The Walbro 342 keeps the plastic pot filled with fuel so no problems but keep the offset spigot to the rear of the tank as the std. Volvo one is.

Up to you what you fit but the 342 is reliable and supplies sufficient fuel for turning up the boost etc......and most of all cheaper than the Volvo Dealer one which i think they only sell the whole thing with the pot etc

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Jun 2nd, 2016 at 19:07.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 23:14   #3
S40 T4 LPG

My pump has been whining for about 60,000 mls.
So I am posting on this thread so I can find this useful info more easily when I need to change it.
S40 T4 LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 10:15   #4
ww1dm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40 T4 LPG View Post
My pump has been whining for about 60,000 mls.
So I am posting on this thread so I can find this useful info more easily when I need to change it.
Well, the T4 pump is a loud bugger, so it might be normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
It doesn`t cause any problems because the inlet is offset on the bottom of the pump so it is roughly equal to where the green spigot is by the time the filter plastic part is added.

The size hole on the offset inlet 342 is about the same size as the centre std. inlet.

The actual whole plastic pot (canister thingy) sits on the bottom of the tank and squashes up on the springs as you tighten the large ring nut on the top of the plastic pot. So the std. pump sucks in fuel through the filter actually from the bottom of the tank!.....so it can get clogged easier?

When the fuel is low the green spigot on the side of the std. pump takes over as it keeps the plastic pot filled with fuel so no hesitations when pulling away or going up steep hills.

On the 342 the offset inlet keeps the plastic pot filled anyway so fuel is there throughout but it is slightly higher than the std. and so does not drag up the crap and fill the filter so much.

I believe their are three filters around the the large filter and one has a one way valve in it to keep fuel in the plastic pot for when needed.

When fitting the 342 the bottom filters are kept but the one supplied is modified so not to use the gauze part ....

These are std. fitment to Subaru`s and they only use one filter so no problems at all.

The Walbro 342 keeps the plastic pot filled with fuel so no problems but keep the offset spigot to the rear of the tank as the std. Volvo one is.

Up to you what you fit but the 342 is reliable and supplies sufficient fuel for turning up the boost etc......and most of all cheaper than the Volvo Dealer one which i think they only sell the whole thing with the pot etc
I see. So how does the stock pump work, again? Normally fuel is picked up from the bottom of the tank, through the black spingot and filter, but when the pump starves then the green spingot comes into play and fuel is picked up from the canister? Somehow I thought that fuel is sucked through the filter and poured into the canister through the green spingot, and then picked up from the canister by some less visible intake on the pump. When I think of it now the former explanation makes more sense.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 13:10   #5
960kg
Premier Member

The T4 pump to me isn`t any louder than any other X40 pump as i had 3 models at one time and there was no difference to me.

Before i replaced my T4 pump it was making noises though and it was like a crazy wasp in a bottle and it would change tone ....it was clearly knackered.

When replacing with the upgraded 342 the similar noise was so much quieter than the std. pump but still discernible...perhaps due to it`s higher delivery rate or i was used to listening out for it?

Old Jun 5th, 2016, 00:52   #6
windy millar

http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/walbro-i...-grj235-volvo/

This is the genuine replacement pump and from recent experience of the same issue, I would say it is worth every penny more simply due to the ease of changing over.
windy millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 18:14   #7
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy millar View Post
http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/walbro-i...-grj235-volvo/

This is the genuine replacement pump and from recent experience of the same issue, I would say it is worth every penny more simply due to the ease of changing over.
It does depend what you want the car for?...to increase it`s bhp or just use as a std. motor.

You are better off with the up rated pump for more performance.

Some 4 or 5 years ago when i had my `98 T4 the std. pump GRJ235 was a captured part only available from Volvo and not on the actual open market and also it came in the plastic pot thingy complete with the fuel level sensor some £300 to £400.

I suppose since the early x40 being old hat now and the new x40 being different pumps then they sell off the old stock online etc?

Old Jun 6th, 2016, 23:46   #8
windy millar

The bottom line is that it is the genuine pump for the car and lasts for well over 100,000 miles, if you intend to tune the nuts off it then maybe an uprated pump is the way to go but after the faff of the uprated pump I fitted to mine, a straight forward swap over is priceless. I ended up fitting the genuine pump into mine and it was done in less than an hour.

When I fitted the uprated 342 it would start to hesitate occasionally when the fuel was below 1/4, wasn't particularly happy with that so I tracked down the original pump.
windy millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 09:58   #9
960kg
Premier Member

For anyone wanting to still fit the Walbro GSS342 you get no problems at all if you stick to the rules of fitting.

The engine will not misfire under a low tank as the pickup position is the same as the std. pump if you fit correctly.

You still have to use the std. filter on the bottom of the 342 as it has the valve to keep fuel in the pot!

The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 13:03   #10
ww1dm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
For anyone wanting to still fit the Walbro GSS342 you get no problems at all if you stick to the rules of fitting.

The engine will not misfire under a low tank as the pickup position is the same as the std. pump if you fit correctly.

You still have to use the std. filter on the bottom of the 342 as it has the valve to keep fuel in the pot!
What are the rules of fitting, though? Is there a guide?

Tags
fuel pump, gss342, walbro