Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS/DSTC Service light keeps coming on.

Views : 2172

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2022, 18:57   #1
Squire

Unhappy ABS/DSTC Service light keeps coming on.

My 2012 V60 D4 diesel keeps throwing up the ABS/DSTC light up on the dashboard. My local indy, all ex Volvo dealer technicians have been unable to trace/find the fault.

Vida identifies the fault to the nearside front, the sensor has been replaced twice and the front wheel bearing has just been changed. I only managed 11miles before the light came on, and another further 6 miles after stopping, turn engine off and restart, to clear the light, the distances covered can vary from a few miles to tens of miles till it comes on again.

I've only had the car since Nov '21, now getting very disillusioned with it but can't sell with this fault but can't afford to sell and lose money in the sale of it or keep throwing money at it! Trouble is I do really like the car

Any advice gratefully accepted,

Martyn
Squire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:11   #2
RDesign4Life
Master Member

If the ABS/wheel speed sensor has been changed then have they tested/checked the cable/wiring? I had an Audi A2 years ago that regularly threw ABS faults and it was moisture ingress to the cable connecting the sensor that caused it.

I feel your pain and don't understand how so called mechanics have managed to make it acceptable these days to charge us for randomly replacing items and not fixing things instead of actually being competent and identifying the ACTUAL fault before removing and replacing things.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:23   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Could be one of the rings that the sensor reads.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 20:14   #4
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Could be one of the rings that the sensor reads.
Yes on BMWs the ribbed ring can corrode causing similar problems not sure if Volvo design is same or not but worth checking.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 20:26   #5
Deck1ng
Master Member

[QUOTE. My local indy, all ex Volvo dealer technicians have been unable to trace/find the fault.

Wouldn’t these guys have been able to identify worn/rusting/missing ABS sensor rings
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 21:51   #6
Squire

Thanks for the replies and I can agree with all of them. Vida had the times and mileages logged so I would have thought that with the erratic mileage and times a thorough examination of cables/wiring etc would have been done when the bearingbwas stripped out and replaced.

I have sent them a strongly worded email and am waiting a reply. To be fair when watched the sensor change they did appear to do a thorough job and not rush it. I was not present during the bearing change. As far as I'm aware, correct me if I'm wrong but them bearing has a magnetic ring mounted in it and works on the Hall effect on voltages in magnetic segments of the ring, the voltage pulses picked up by the sensor. My dealings with Rover 75 ABS is that if one of the segments is damaged or rust particles stuck to it it can throw a fault light on, iirc there are 48 segments on the Rover 75 magnetic rings. Also any dirty or damaged cable connection pins can give a problem.

I've just done 37 miles this evening and no light has come on, it "may" be possible that things need to settle in, but tbh I can't really believe that, but willing to see what happens.
They at least know I'm not very happy with them at the moment, but I don't know of anymore Volvo indys near Walsall.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 21:13   #7
Squire

Thumbs up Update

Latest update since my last post is that I have now covered 300+ miles since the nearside front wheel bearing/hub was changed and no abs/dstc warning lights have come, apart from the two times shortly after the bearing change I mentioned in my earlier post.
I am now, somewhat cautiously optimistic that the fault has been rectified and, for what it's worth, my opinion is that it was the bearing/hub that was at fault.

Hopefully it will remain OK and I'll be happy with that and get back to enjoying the car again.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Martyn.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 16:51   #8
Squire

Unhappy Spoke too soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
Latest update since my last post is that I have now covered 300+ miles since the nearside front wheel bearing/hub was changed and no abs/dstc warning lights have come, apart from the two times shortly after the bearing change I mentioned in my earlier post.
I am now, somewhat cautiously optimistic that the fault has been rectified and, for what it's worth, my opinion is that it was the bearing/hub that was at fault.

Hopefully it will remain OK and I'll be happy with that and get back to enjoying the car again.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Martyn.
Looks like I spoke too soon, after 356 miles with no light coming on it's come back on again and after a reset within 1.1 miles has come back on!!!
Anyone any ideas anyone, it's had two sensor changes and a new front hub/bearing!
Getting more than a bit fed up with it now as it's so erratic. Back to square one!

Thanks, Martyn
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 21:26   #9
Squire

Angry

After the last episode of hissy fits of abs and dstc lights coming on things quietened down until today after some 290 miles, on a drive out around the Staffordshire Moorlands the abs/dstc lights has been coming on like a strobe coupled with the city safe service required light.

Getting very fed up with this car now and if and when it's moved on there will be no mire Volvo's for me!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 21:52   #10
Squire

Default The saga continues!

As per the title, I've now had the nearside abs cable changed, so far so good but only done approx 150 miles since the change on Aug 31st. Got to rack up some miles and see what happens