Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Service Require - ECM6805

Views : 27177

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2010, 17:57   #31
GSMGuy
Master Member

Cheers Clan, so I take it the inj pump is on the inlet cam??

Blinking items did not arrive today, as sat delivery is extra So Mon now...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 23:12   #32
Multiplex

Correct, injection pump inlet cam, vac pump exhaust cam.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Multiplex For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 13:23   #33
rocky

Hello, I havent been on this forum in a while, whichc is good cause my car has been goingwell. I have a 2003 V70 D5.

I had the same problem and my volvo garage went through all the motions during the Christmas Holidays 2008.

The up shot to the problem, was alledgedly the Catalytic Convertor. When I accelerated over 2000 - 2500 rpm, the engine would drop into limp mode, occasionally I would have had alot of white smoke.

It started off it happened now and again but got to the stage where the car was dangerous to drive as it was happeneing evvery time i pulled out at road ends or overtook etc. The garage swapped out various components, to do with the trubo and air flow meters but the cat fixed it. I have not had the problem now in over 12 months.

The cost to repair was in excess of a grand which I was not happy with but least if fixed the problem. Hope this helps for you.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 21:19   #34
Multiplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Hello, I havent been on this forum in a while, whichc is good cause my car has been goingwell. I have a 2003 V70 D5.

I had the same problem and my volvo garage went through all the motions during the Christmas Holidays 2008.

The up shot to the problem, was alledgedly the Catalytic Convertor. When I accelerated over 2000 - 2500 rpm, the engine would drop into limp mode, occasionally I would have had alot of white smoke.

It started off it happened now and again but got to the stage where the car was dangerous to drive as it was happeneing evvery time i pulled out at road ends or overtook etc. The garage swapped out various components, to do with the trubo and air flow meters but the cat fixed it. I have not had the problem now in over 12 months.

The cost to repair was in excess of a grand which I was not happy with but least if fixed the problem. Hope this helps for you.
Was this logging the fault code ECM 6805 - Turbo Boost Pressure?
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 15:47   #35
RobI

If it is the turbo, how can it be so infrequent (if that is not such a difficult question)?

I get this every 500-600 miles for example. As mentioned, I don't drive the car hard but if I do accelerate hard it is ok. The error occurs 'mostly' in 2nd/3rd gear low rev (1000-1500) rpm with moderate accelerator applied so the turbo is not really spinning hard. I'll try and so if I can repro the problem by accelerating up hill in a high gear/ low speed as that seemed to lead to the error the most - not sure if that info is any use...

I still wonder whether it is a leak somewhere which opens up once in a while but I'm not remotely qualified to know where or how to look. Can leak tests be certain to prove the pipes are ok?

The trouble is I have no other reference to know whether my car is driving normally but other than this occassional error it appears ok. I've only had the car 13 months on a 54 plate and half the time now I've had this problem.

The other thing is whilst a turbo replacement is I suspect the course of action Volvo recommend next, what guarantee will they give to that fixing the problem i.e. if it turns out to be something else? It's one thing to spend a lot of money to repair the car but its another to spend that to try and repair a fault.

Has anyone else cured this with a catalytic convertor replacement - I wonder whether that produces the same ECM code?
RobI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 21:00   #36
GSMGuy
Master Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88190

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 14:02   #37
johnsons31

Default exact same symptons

hi mike

we have been having the exact symptoms you describe for over a year now - have posted previously but had no help - we have v70 awd d5 163hp 2004 - nearly everytime i pull away up a hill from a standing start or sometimes joining motorway so need extra power than just poodling along it goes into limp mode - so have to stop, turn off & on again, then cleared. sometimes does this 3 times a day, sometimes not for a week but can make it happen to order. never first thing in the morning when cold. nearly always in afternoon when has been driven, stopped & started again. drove to germany twice this year doing 80 on the autobahn all day and not a murmer.

anyway, dealer we bought from (independant volvo) had tried various things then sent to local volvo service who said need to change turbo. have already paid out for other repairs/investigations, how do i know a new turbo will fix it.

how can it drive fine at top speed for hours but can't make it up a hill.

have told dealer that i will live with it rather than paying out more in the hope that a cure will be found.

its great news that you have cured yours but we dont have the option of fixing ourselves so are at the mercy of the garages. we are in the same business as you and also have the same work ethic - how come we are the ones labelled as cowboys?

anyway, any words of advice greatfully received
johnsons31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 23:34   #38
G4WJH

Default Urgent Engine Management Service required

Hi all....have just posted similar concern....and then found this thread.

I've been advised it seams turbo related - but have you seen the thread about it being linked to the catalytic converter? I'd have never have thought - but seams to have cured the problem (think I'd research the turbo route first - least expensive!!!)

Regards
G4WJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:10   #39
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
30774597 £52.50 ,
consists of boost valve , Bracket , some nice staniless steel pipe and silicon vacuum pipes ... Primarily for D4204T but visibly the same as the D5 boost valve ..
Thanks for this advice!
Has anyone tried this as a direct fit for the original D5 one? The pics in Vadis differ a little. Is the electrical plug a straight fit?
My turbo nozzle control governor has a leak in its membrane, and I rather pay £50 than £110
(There's a new one for sale on the Dutch equivalent of Ebay, but he wants 90 euro's for it (excluding shipping), getting the V50 one at the local Volvodealer will be probably be cheaper...)

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:29   #40
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have seen these solenoid valves for sale on ebay for as little as £10 for a 163bhp D5 ( second hand of course ) , why not try one of the breakers in the UK like Salvo group and most of these breakers advertise on ebay just offering one wheel nut off the car for £1 to get the exposure . Some of them can be quite reasonable in their prices and of course there are also quite a few cowboys who think they can sell an 8 year old part for more than the cost of a new one .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote