Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Minor Collision

Views : 1523

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2023, 01:16   #21
baggy798
🤍💙💗

See? I told you there was no damage!

The trim on the sides could be old age. Not the sure what those rubber things hanging down each side are but they've been there a while based on the muck.

That bracket being bent but the aluminium bumper being straight as a die is an anomoly. Should it not also be kinked as it has no spring to it? I don't believe the tailpipe has been damaged at all. If any car hit that your bumper would be crimped bad. Did you take pictures of their car?

Is your neck ok? 😉💸💸💸

Clean all the muck off the bumper and let's see if there's any scuffs. Do you have any pictures of the back of the car prior to the bump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby
As stated previously by someone on here, as soon as the other party reports it, you are obliged to tell your own insurance. They will always see you as a risk as you were involved in an accident even though it was not your fault.
Pretty sure that if there is no damage to your car and importantly no dash cam footage, then they can go whistle. Otherwise, what is stopping scammers getting hold of your reg number in a car park, phoning the police to say you hit and ran to get a crime reference number, and then putting in an insurance claim?
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 20:17   #22
Forrest
VOC Member

Well, I think Baggy may be right on this one. I have had a good look in daylight and it really does look like just paintwork and a couple of broken fixings on one side which can probably be Araldited.

The other party have had their car checked privately and they just need a new radiator and some minor bodywork.

For better or worse we have agreed to keep it out of the insurance behemoth. I’m getting a price for the paintwork from someone I know and the other party will settle up with me.

Given the absence of any structural damage I shall be happier removing and refitting the bumper myself. I can then make sure those rubber bits are correctly reattached to reduce the risk of long term corrosion.

Yes, I know it’s a minefield out there but occasionally two lots of decent people have the misfortune to collide and the opportunity to be honest adults about it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 20:50   #23
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

They were indeed fortunate with whom they collided, 'Forrest', many others may have taken advantage of the situation. In turn, the indications are that you too were lucky in making the (unfortunate) acquaintance of a decent couple in this way. I do hope that your faith in them proves justified.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 22:14   #24
Forrest
VOC Member

I took the bumper off today. This is very easy, although instructions specific to the 960/V90 seem impossible to find. There are four (two each side) 16mm flanged nuts holding the main metal part of the bumper to the main support brackets at the back of the car. These are accessible from underneath the car. There are also four (two each side) 10mm hex screws that hold the sides of the bumper to the car. These are accessible via the two cubbyholes on either side of the boot floor. You then pull the sides out so that the plastic positioning pegs are clear of their holes and slide the whole bumper back and off the rear brackets. I positioned a large piece of cardboard to deposit it on to avoid any further damage. I found the fastenings all came undone very easily. I only used a 3/8” socket set.

Those sealing strips are very weird. They fit to a moulding at the front of the bumper, then on to part of the bracket that attaches the sides to the car and then onto a separate thin piece of plastic that is attached with one spring clip. They are not Volvo’s usual robust design. One of my thin bits of plastic is broken. It is part number 9151316. I can find no reference to them being available as a spare part. I’m trying Areldite.

The bigger problem is that the bracket that bolts to the side of the car on one side has parted company from the bumper. It is attached by seven plastic studs in a process known as “staking” where the ends of the studs are pressure/heat pressed permanently to attach the bracket to the bumper. I’m enquiring via a friend in the trade whether glue will be a suitable solution to this.

So, in a nutshell, the ideal solution would be if someone has a spare, good condition, paint code 428 960 Mk2/V90 Mk 1 rear bumper that they would like to sell me. It would just bolt straight on.

Other options are a good condition replacement in another colour which I could get painted to match or, in a pinch, trying to glue the original back together and getting it painted.

960 bumpers currently available on eBay seem both expensive and quite grotty. So it might be a case of doing the best I can with the existing one until the right replacement comes along.

The good news is there is no sign of any damage to the car under/behind the bumper so it really is just a case of sorting the bumper out one way or another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8032.jpg (96.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8033.jpg (108.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8035.jpg (58.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8034.jpg (179.9 KB, 14 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: