Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New volvo s90 t8 owners update

Views : 716

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2023, 15:45   #1
redbrock

Default New volvo s90 t8 owners update

Hi
I purchased the S90 T8 recharge new late Oct 22 It was bought with the heart like all my cars. As on this occasion I was visiting to look at another model.
The deal was excellent and as depreciation is bottom of my list of priorities due to me historically keeping a car from new until its scrapped. Depreciation just does not bother me.
I currently also own a 1962 Volvo which seems indestructible and is hence a keeper although now tucked up in the garage and rarely used.
During the first week of purchase I could not initially get the doors to open on the fob having to revert to the manual method using the key blade hidden in the fob. This was sorted quickly by the dealer and the explanation given to me was a automatic update that had gone wrong.

I cannot comment if this was correct or not as I know nothing about these matters.

Being retired and doing small mileages I very rarely use it in petrol mode apart from the odd long journey and to date have topped it up 3 times in 5 months

I use the more expensive E5 petrol on reading of issues in keeping E10 petrol long periods when not being used.

Saying that my electricity Tariff (I charge at home only) is 36p per KWH and at the time of purchase I could not get a EV tariff from my supplier.

This is now changing and home charging costs will drop considerably for me.

At 36p PER KWH based on the 18 KWH batteries fitted and a average range on these of 36 miles. the cost per mile on Electric is approx. 18p per mile.
So not a great deal cheaper than petrol but as mentioned my Electricity is dropping on the now available EV tariff making the difference in price per mile tilt much more in favour of electric.

Things I like in no order of preference

Its finish and styling.
Its comfort
Its sound system
Its safety systems (or most of them at least)
its 0 to 60 Acceleration, its the quickest Volvo I have ever had and I've had a few.
Its optional packs (it had almost all available)
Its price as it was substantially discounted.
Its extended warranty and service plan.

Things I do not like

Its VED at over £500.00 per annum for the first five years
Its propensity to slam on the brakes automatically when reversing carefully out of my drive if a car passes even when nowhere near entering the road.
Its lane depart system when overtaking on dual carriage ways which is now always switched off.
It not having a dipstick or spare wheel.
As mentioned at the beginning all my cars have been keepers and this hopefully will be my last as I only now do about 5k per annum.
That is as long as it does not become uneconomical to keep running.
I hope this gives a snapshot of owning a S90 T8
redbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redbrock For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 16:35   #2
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Yup VED is a bit of a ****take, very few cars avoid the 'luxury' tax now, low tax targeted to full EVs.

on the rear exit from drive way my missus finds this happens to her, strangely not to me, we must have different approaches to reversing, anyway if you did not know a simple tap on the rear screen you can disable the rear auto brake.

There is no issue with LDW if you indicate before overtaking

36p a unit still provides a reasonable improvement over running petrol.

I've not moved to an EV tarriff yet, hoping to tie it all in with solar and home battery, might even just do a big battery over solar to be honest and use cheap electric all day.