Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 606832

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2017, 18:50   #1521
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardXC60 View Post
I agree entirely and I am clutching at straws over this fuel consumption.

Worryingly since the EGR replacement last week it is even worse! A two day trip to Honiton last weekend, both directions in the dark, 330 mile round trip, average speed 50mph 33.6mpg!

That's two up plus a Jack Russell and an over night bag. This weekend it's a 360 mile M25/M40 run to Birmingham, we'll see if leaving the dog at home improves the fuel consumption!

Next week I am going to chuck it back at the dealer with some accurate fuel data and ask for Volvo to comment on this car's undue thirst.
Ironically the 360 mile round trip to the Midlands without dog and overnight bag returned an average speed of 56mph and a fuel consumption of 36.3! I am convinced that in a D5 I would have managed well over 40mpg on such a trip.

Has anyone else found that their engine temperature is running higher and the climate control requiring turning down since the latest EGR fix?

I am wondering if a software upgrade at the same time may have been missed.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:39   #1522
Arianne
Premier Member

Not quite. The engine certainly gets up to normal operating temperature much, much faster once the fix has been applied. Very noticeable.

But the climate control is fine and the engine never runs beyond the centre line. I would get yours checked again.

This week there is a little letter from a Volvo owner in AutoExpress magazine. He took his car, doesn't say which one, to a dealer and they quoted £3,000 for a major fix for his EGR problem. He then took it to an independent who, the article says, stripped it down and cleaned it for a lot less (didn't give the cost which I thought was a shame). Car now running fine.

To folk with VEA engines built prior to the proper fix, get them resolved before the warranty runs out. I know from my dealer that they charge Volvo about £700 - £800 for the warranty work. But whether that's the same for a private repair billing is open to debate. And some dealers might not be so honest if they think the workshop can load up a pile of additional work onto the unsuspecting owner?

Arianne
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:49   #1523
Mdog251

Default Amber check engine 2 months before warranty ends

Hi just joined the forum as the check engine light on my Xc60 D4 came on last week. Horrified to see so many posts re this fault. Car has been in the garage a week & they have changed the inlet manifold on the advice of Volvo technical. Not sure if this is a modified one like the latest fix mentioned here. Service manager tells me it's only guaranteed until end of April when warranty expires. Car has only done 19000 miles & I don't do short journeys so it warms up properly.

Has anyone had an acknowledgement of the fault from Volvo that reoccurrence will be looked on sympathetically? I like the car but it's got to go if this keeps happening. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Mdog251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 08:36   #1524
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog251 View Post
Service manager tells me it's only guaranteed until end of April when warranty expires.
Has anyone had an acknowledgement of the fault from Volvo that reoccurrence will be looked on sympathetically?
This does not sound good. If Volvo adopt his 'policy' there is going to be trouble.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Mar 2nd, 2017 at 08:39.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 09:22   #1525
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Does seem strange. On my old XC60 one of the DPF sensors went just before warranty expired and it was relaced FOC by Volvo. They extended the warranty on that part, but only that part, for another year.

Unfortunately the other sensor broke about 3 montha after the Volvo warranty expired
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 13:34   #1526
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Not quite. The engine certainly gets up to normal operating temperature much, much faster once the fix has been applied. Very noticeable.

But the climate control is fine and the engine never runs beyond the centre line. I would get yours checked again.

Arianne
I had the "proper"/"definitive"/"final"(?) fix carried out about a month ago after 2 previous fixes. I agree that the car seems to get up to temperature a bit quicker than before but difficult to be 100% sure. I was starting to get concerned that the mpg had dropped, and have only managed about 37.5mpg over the 2 tanks since the fix. However, when looking back over my previous Fuelly measurements, this lower mpg has occurred over the last couple of winters, with it being better in the spring and summer. I have also being doing a bit more driving in traffic (average speed 19mph over the last 2 tanks!), so I'm not convinced that the lower mpg is due to the EGR fix.

I agree that it would be worth getting the most recent fix done before end of warranty. My D4 VEA is just out of warranty now, and although I got a reassurance from my dealer that Volvo tend to look favourably at such issues out of warranty, I've extended the warranty for another year. I think there is too much that can go wrong with modern cars (see recent thread about auto gearboxes). For peace of mind, the extended warranty makes sense to me if not changing the car imminently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 16:04   #1527
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I had the "proper"/"definitive"/"final"(?) fix carried out about a month ago after 2 previous fixes. I agree that the car seems to get up to temperature a bit quicker than before but difficult to be 100% sure. I was starting to get concerned that the mpg had dropped, and have only managed about 37.5mpg over the 2 tanks since the fix. However, when looking back over my previous Fuelly measurements, this lower mpg has occurred over the last couple of winters, with it being better in the spring and summer. I have also being doing a bit more driving in traffic (average speed 19mph over the last 2 tanks!), so I'm not convinced that the lower mpg is due to the EGR fix.

I agree that it would be worth getting the most recent fix done before end of warranty. My D4 VEA is just out of warranty now, and although I got a reassurance from my dealer that Volvo tend to look favourably at such issues out of warranty, I've extended the warranty for another year. I think there is too much that can go wrong with modern cars (see recent thread about auto gearboxes). For peace of mind, the extended warranty makes sense to me if not changing the car imminently.
Normal for an engine to lose up to 20% efficiency in cold weather. All new Volvo VEA engined cars except the current 60 series have electric radiator blinds.

Roy
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 16:09   #1528
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog251 View Post
Hi just joined the forum as the check engine light on my Xc60 D4 came on last week. Horrified to see so many posts re this fault. Car has been in the garage a week & they have changed the inlet manifold on the advice of Volvo technical. Not sure if this is a modified one like the latest fix mentioned here. Service manager tells me it's only guaranteed until end of April when warranty expires. Car has only done 19000 miles & I don't do short journeys so it warms up properly.

Has anyone had an acknowledgement of the fault from Volvo that reoccurrence will be looked on sympathetically? I like the car but it's got to go if this keeps happening. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Not been normal in the past for Volvo UK to deny responsibility over a known issue. Remind the dealer of the trade descriptions act which gives rights over a lot longer period than 3 years. (or change to a better dealer)

Roy
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 19:35   #1529
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I've extended the warranty for another year. I think there is too much that can go wrong with modern cars (see recent thread about auto gearboxes). For peace of mind, the extended warranty makes sense to me if not changing the car imminently.
Can I ask how much they quoted you for a fourth year warranty? I took mine in for the "final final" fix last week and two of the staff at the dealer looked blank when I asked the question and couldn't give me a price. And considering the Volvo website asks you to contact your dealer, that was somewhat frustrating.
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 20:21   #1530
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
Can I ask how much they quoted you for a fourth year warranty? I took mine in for the "final final" fix last week and two of the staff at the dealer looked blank when I asked the question and couldn't give me a price. And considering the Volvo website asks you to contact your dealer, that was somewhat frustrating.
I was sent the Volvo Extended Warranty application form about 2 months before the 3 year manufacturer's warranty ran out. It doesn't come from the dealer, but directly from Volvo (or in fact the warranty company runs the warranty for Volvo). It was £395 up to 4 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first). It was £445 for 4 years and up to 80,000. I don't think the dealers sell the extended warranty, but I could be wrong.

No doubt I could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but I preferred to have the "Volvo branded" warranty, although not sure that makes any difference!
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post: