Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 water ingress after rain - no sunroof! Help!

Views : 4624

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 22:34   #11
cdight

Default Looking for help with the exact same problem

Did anyone end up finding the solution to this? I feel like I'm going insane.

After rain the carpets/padding behind the pedals starts getting wet.
At its worst it was about 4cm of water over the top of the rear carpets (as its the lowest point) but on both sides. Drivers side was just plain water, passenger side was water mixed with coolant.

I took out everything and dried it out. The coolant problem was due to the dreaded heater core (used the easy fix connecting the pipes with hose and 4 hose clamps). I even replaced the AC-Drain for good measure (since i was down there). Seeing that someone mentioned the roof rails as a entry point I took both off and lightly sealed the screw holes and surrounding bracket.

I have no sunroof, have checked the windshield and A-pillars and there is no problem there, I completely cleared out the wiper drains under the cowl and checked their functionality...all good, though I noticed one of the elbow clips on the Cowl (over the blower intake) had snapped so I replaced it thinking that was the problem, water coming in through the air ducts). For good measure i even used window/silicone sealant around the area on the windshield as I figured that was the logical entry.

I put everything back together and took it to a do it yourself carwash to test running water over the windshield / roof/ front door with different pressures and everything stayed dry!!!

On top of the world, I went home and had a beer leaving my car comfortably out in the nights rain. Woke up the next morning to find the damn carpets soaked up by the pedals again.

Please someone, point me in the right direction...

But if someone tells me to check the Sunroof drains I might just explode

Last edited by cdight; Mar 2nd, 2020 at 22:51.
cdight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 22:57   #12
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdight View Post
Did anyone end up finding the solution to this? I feel like I'm going insane.

After rain the carpets/padding behind the pedals starts getting wet.
At its worst it was about 4cm of water over the top of the rear carpets (as its the lowest point) but on both sides. Drivers side was just plain water, passenger side was water mixed with coolant.

I took out everything and dried it out. The coolant problem was due to the dreaded heater core (used the easy fix connecting the pipes with hose and 4 hose clamps). I even replaced the AC-Drain for good measure (since i was down there). Seeing that someone mentioned the roof rails as a entry point I took both off and lightly sealed the screw holes and surrounding bracket.

I have no sunroof, have checked the windshield and A-pillars and there is no problem there, I completely cleared out the wiper drains under the cowl and checked their functionality...all good, though I noticed one of the elbow clips on the Cowl (over the blower intake) had snapped so I replaced it thinking that was the problem, water coming in through the air ducts). For good measure i even used window/silicone sealant around the area on the windshield as I figured that was the logical entry.

I put everything back together and took it to a do it yourself carwash to test running water over the windshield / roof/ front door with different pressures and everything stayed dry!!!

On top of the world, I went home and had a beer leaving my car comfortably out in the nights rain. Woke up the next morning to find the damn carpets soaked up by the pedals again.

Please someone, point me in the right direction...

But if someone tells me to check the Sunroof drains I might just explode
front footwell does sound like ac drain pipes, but you changed all that.. its not getting in via the drivers door seal?? that kind of failure might only show up with heavy rain and high wind, hence the car wash not yielding. sustained jetwasher might identify it. or look for water marking near sills
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 06:19   #13
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Windscreen check- is the bonding okay push glass from inside car does it move
Door seals
Roof rails
Shark fin
I’m in process of doing Mini Countryman bmw could find it once carpets out to dry water tested found 2 door seal the fault
If I were you I’d remove all seats carpets to get dry then test it for leaks
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 08:35   #14
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I've not read the full thread, but mine was blocked somewhere between the sunroof and the wheel arch. Was leaking in from the top of the A pillar. Covered the top of the car with plastic overnight down to the windscreen wipers, next morning driver's side full of water again. So clearly blocked lower down and was backing up to the sunroof.

Took an air compressor to the sunroof drains, blew out the blockage, and it's all flowing freely again.

You may need to remove the cover under the windscreen wiper arms to get access to those drains.

Incidentally, I suspect that the carpets are plastic lined near the surface, as the water was pooling on the surface, and they seemed to have dried out well with a microfibre cloth and a couple of days driving with the blowers on full heat pointing into the foot well. So I don't think the foam underneath will be sodden. (I hope I'm right.)

You would be able to test yours by leaving it somewhere under cover in heavy rain. If there's no ingress, check the drains again.

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 3rd, 2020 at 08:39.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 21:01   #15
cdight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
front footwell does sound like ac drain pipes, but you changed all that.. its not getting in via the drivers door seal?? that kind of failure might only show up with heavy rain and high wind, hence the car wash not yielding. sustained jetwasher might identify it. or look for water marking near sills
Thanks for the help,

Yeah, the AC drain in on the passenger side (i have a left hand drive V50).

Drivers door seal is a bit torn up (still okay I think), but it still wouldnt really explain why its wet up around the pedals...unless i'm missing something?
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 21:11   #16
cdight

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
Windscreen check- is the bonding okay push glass from inside car does it move
Door seals
Roof rails
Shark fin
I’m in process of doing Mini Countryman bmw could find it once carpets out to dry water tested found 2 door seal the fault
If I were you I’d remove all seats carpets to get dry then test it for leaks
Thanks for the help.

I pushed the glass from the inside with a friend inspecting from the outside, with no noticeable movement. I did notice a little dampness in the far (almost impossible to reach) corner of the drivers side windshield. I´ll see if I cant get better access to it (without a full dash removal).

Roof rails have all been lightly sealed on the bolt threads in the holes.

Haven´t even thought about the shark fin (roof tilts slightly downwards at the rear so i figured gravity should do its thing....but I´ll check it out just incase )

We had the front foot well carpets out (driver and passenger) when we took it to the car wash. After 15mins of high pressure water over the roof, windshield and drivers door everything was still dry.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 21:20   #17
cdight

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
I've not read the full thread, but mine was blocked somewhere between the sunroof and the wheel arch. Was leaking in from the top of the A pillar. Covered the top of the car with plastic overnight down to the windscreen wipers, next morning driver's side full of water again. So clearly blocked lower down and was backing up to the sunroof.

Took an air compressor to the sunroof drains, blew out the blockage, and it's all flowing freely again.

You may need to remove the cover under the windscreen wiper arms to get access to those drains.

Incidentally, I suspect that the carpets are plastic lined near the surface, as the water was pooling on the surface, and they seemed to have dried out well with a microfibre cloth and a couple of days driving with the blowers on full heat pointing into the foot well. So I don't think the foam underneath will be sodden. (I hope I'm right.)

You would be able to test yours by leaving it somewhere under cover in heavy rain. If there's no ingress, check the drains again.

Thanks for the help.

I dont have a sunroof and have removed the Cowl and cleared all the drains at the base of the windshield. I havent thought about the wheel arch but I´ll remove it see if I can find something back there.

The water seems to be coming in from the pedals (or above the pedals) soaking the carpet/padding behind the pedals and then runs/drips down into the drivers footwell....from there it flows through the airduct hole under the drivers seat into the back (the floor slopes downwards into the footwell behind the driver... it gradually built up there soaking the foam and eventually when the foam couldnt take anymore it went over.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 22:46   #18
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdight View Post
Thanks for the help.

I dont have a sunroof and have removed the Cowl and cleared all the drains at the base of the windshield. I havent thought about the wheel arch but I´ll remove it see if I can find something back there.

The water seems to be coming in from the pedals (or above the pedals) soaking the carpet/padding behind the pedals and then runs/drips down into the drivers footwell....from there it flows through the airduct hole under the drivers seat into the back (the floor slopes downwards into the footwell behind the driver... it gradually built up there soaking the foam and eventually when the foam couldnt take anymore it went over.
from that description it feels like windscreen and running down bulkhead. I don't see how else it's going to originate in drives footwell/pedalbox
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:

Tags
leak, water, windscreen