Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0l Petrol buying advice

Views : 360

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2019, 15:29   #1
big yinn

Default V50 2.0l Petrol buying advice

Hello, new member with a few questions.

I'm in the market for a new (to me) med size estate and the V50 looks like it could fit the bill nicely.
My budget is £3.5k and I'm after 2.0l petrol manual 2008 or newer, SE or SE Lux spec is preferred.
I've ruled out a diesel, mainly because it'll mostly be doing short local journeys and a max of 20 miles in one run, 6000 miles a year is fairly normal for my cars. The isle of wight isn't particularly big, so long runs will be the exception. I can't be doing with clogged DPFs and an inability to get a regen cycle to complete.
I've seen some nice cars on '08 plates onwards on Autotrader that are well within budget.
Is there anything in particular that i should be looking for?
From what I've read the engines are pretty reliable, but are there any other nasties that I should look out for?
I'm aware of a number of recalls, for fuel and p/s hoses and that the air con condensers are a bit fragile.
I'm pretty competent with the spanners and after a bit of a mare with a 2005 Renault Scenic and its random electrical faults, I'm keen to avoid electrical maladies.
I look forward to hearing your advice. Thanks
big yinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 17:00   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I believe the Aux belt tensioner design was changed a couple of times due to chirpy aux belt, not really a massive issue though.

Also the highlighted purge valve can need replacing if engine not idling properly. There are videos on youtube of Mazda 3 owners doing this. Pretty straight forward.

Otherwise engine is easy to work on, service etc. Loads of space around the front and back of engine.

Last edited by T5R92011; Oct 24th, 2019 at 17:06.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 17:43   #3
big yinn

Excellent, thats a good start. Thanks!
Im pretty competant at most things, and if access is good, all the better!
big yinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 19:29   #4
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by big yinn View Post
Excellent, thats a good start. Thanks!
Im pretty competant at most things, and if access is good, all the better!
a little prone to rocker cover oil leaks.. as said easy to work on so not a big deal. can be finicky with spark plugs from what I've read so stick with volvo ones if you need to change them. engine mounts go bad probably earlier than one would expect. can get all three oem for £2-300 and pretty easy diy to change. expansion tanks crack... £30 diy change is easy...
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 21:04   #5
M4ss4

I had an 05 1.8 v50 a while back. Was not too bad on fuel and didn't have any issues with it at all in my 2-3 yrs ownership.

Mine was a 1.8 duratec unit shared with the focus. Was a timing chain rather than a belt so fairly sturdy and was far more refined than the 2.0 duratec I had in a x reg momdeo many years ago..

I loved mine but always wished I had gone for an R design facelift model. Really why I have a c30 now too
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote