Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Estate Petrol 2.0L Auto - Fuel consumption

Views : 611

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2016, 12:27   #1
Gary168

Default V40 Estate Petrol 2.0L Auto - Fuel consumption

Hi, just joined the forum having just purchased a Volvo V40 SE 2.0 litre automatic petrol engine. Having had a diesel car before I was wondering what fuel consumption I could expect from the Volvo.

I planning a 400 mile trip on motorways soon and just wondered what other people MPG other people get on this sort of distance.

Hope to hear something back soon.

Thanks
Gary168 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary168 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 12:39   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

My 2.0lt manual averages 32mph. This is fairly consistent with 'normal' mix of driving and an average right foot.

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to be mad to hang around here, but it helps. Good helpful chaps on here. Enjoy.

Last edited by ITSv40; Apr 29th, 2016 at 12:41. Reason: welcome note.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 13:47   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Thumbs up 32 mph !!

OMG! It must be a real drag to only average 32 mph all day!

My old abused phase 2 wreck of a diesel does 44 mph of short tripping and big booting and diesel is about 15% cheaper than petrol on the other side of the ENGLISH Channel. It cost more in fuel terms to run my Twingo 1.2, even with its 12 valves, VVT unit AND turbo mod fitted by the last abuser.

If you are an oily type and want to get the max range from a tank of gas, even the flammable type, then you might try the following:

1/ Learn to drive for Max range, with slow rate of speed changes, low turbo vane rpm's and correct use of the gears. With an Auto box slow acceleration is not as important as with a Slam-junk manual box.

2/ Get the weight down! Go on a diet and avoid taking passengers like the plague. Think about leaving the tool kit in the garage or at a friends, forget the spare and carry a can of tyre weld, but don't forget you may need a new tyre, so keep a good used all season in the garage or friends.
I only ever fuel up to half a tank when practical, as the mafia run my local fuel stations, so it's all the same price.

3/ Never run the tyres under pressure, although using a Mituibashing 50 psi is one silly idea.

4/ Change to a German or Dutch standard full synthetic 0w30 (A3/B4), but keep the revs low to avoid going into boost range (Turbo speeds up after 2 to 2500 rpm and they are not efficient at their biblical max boost range. More than 3000 rpm is a disaster in gas guzzling terms!

5/ Change the box oil or Auto fluid back to Volvo OEM 75w80 if possible AND add one tube of Liqui Moly box additive to reduce friction.

6/ Fully service the car as the Volvo God's intended AND check for hidden fault codes like MAF sensor, fuel press regulator

7/ Clean the intake and EGR as per Volvo instructions.

8/ I you are still not happy, change the oil to a Synthoil Longtime 0w20 (A3/B4) or similar.

9/Try and plan any longer trips correctly in traffic, navigation and even downwind terms.

10/ Boast here with Pic's and fuel station receipts!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 29th, 2016 at 13:50.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 13:50   #4
spursfatboy
Spursfatboy

Howdy chap. I've a 2002 v40 SE auto as well. I'm averaging 30 mpg with a mixture of town driving and a/mway miles, not always with a light foot.

But, I recently went down to cornwall, 230 miles roughly from home on just over half a tank.

Sfb

1999 Phase 1 V40. 1.8 XS Petrol Auto - Dead
2000 Phase 2 S40 2.0 XS Petrol Auto - Mucho Dead, via giant tin operner
spursfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 18:48   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
OMG! It must be a real drag to only average 32 mph all day!
Perfection should never be rushed. Slowly does it, still gets there in the end.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: