Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loud bang when driving, loss of power and weird noises

Views : 1297

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2023, 08:35   #1
lowaaa

Question Loud bang when driving, loss of power and weird noises

Hi there, I have a Volvo v60, 2016, D4, Manual

Yesterday I was driving and smelt a diesel smell in the cabin, I thought it was from the air outside so I ignored it, I was doing 50mph, and all of a sudden a loud bang came from the front of the engine and I lost power, and whenever I accelerated it just sounded like the car was a straight piped diesel.

There were no warning lights and when checking with an OBD scanner, it gave me no errors.

I checked under the car when I got home, and noticed no leaks, no black fumes from the exhaust, literally nothing seemed wrong. Although it seems theres no exhaust smoke coming out of the car at all, especially on cold start. But, neither the front.

I did notice that the intercooler tube was loose, so I tried placing it back in place and even taping around it, in case air was flowing out/in but no luck. Still the same noise.

I at first thought the exhaust or the dpf blew and theres a hole which is causing me to lose power, but I didn't see no exhaust smoke at the front of the car, especially on cold start. And I genuinely do not see any holes in the exhaust, at least from cabin to the back of the car. Can't really see into the engine bay if the exhaust / manifold is fine.

I am starting to think it may have something to do with the fuel injectors, but after looking online, it seems the fuel injectors wouldn't cause a noise like this.

Please see the video below on start-up and around 1minute I rev. Has anyone heard this before or have a clue on what's going on?

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/5sTLs049yHw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by lowaaa; May 12th, 2023 at 08:38.
lowaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lowaaa For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2023, 10:01   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

the engine sounds fine i would say check all turbo pipe work and check the inter cooler for splits / leaks.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2023, 13:51   #3
lowaaa

I think I found the cause, it's this golden pipe. On the other end (at the back) it seems to be going no where and theres no flexible pipe there, whilst also dumping fumes out into the engine bay which is why it was smelling weirdly in the cabin.

Anyone know what it's called? From what I've found online it's an egr pipe? and whats the best way of removing the broken one and replacing it before I go disassembling the engine bay?

goldenpipe.jpg

goldenpipe2.jpg

Last edited by lowaaa; May 12th, 2023 at 13:55.
lowaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2023, 14:00   #4
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Yes that's an EGR hose. The ribbed design is supposed to make it flexible enough to absorb engine vibration/movement so that it does not split. Clearly that design approach doesn't work fantastically well.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2023, 14:57   #5
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowaaa View Post
I think I found the cause, it's this golden pipe. On the other end (at the back) it seems to be going no where and theres no flexible pipe there, whilst also dumping fumes out into the engine bay which is why it was smelling weirdly in the cabin.

Anyone know what it's called? From what I've found online it's an egr pipe? and whats the best way of removing the broken one and replacing it before I go disassembling the engine bay?

Attachment 147953

Attachment 147954
I was told this is a common failure point on the D4 engine, mine didn't go bang and I didn't have power loss, but it was split (at a weld I believe) and leaking diesel fumes. Should be readily available to replace.

Tags
exhaust, fuel, v60d4, weirdnoise