Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Security questions

Views : 2018

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 22:24   #1
Ovlovdriver

Default Security questions

Im not trying to spam with all the questions , just wanna be ready for when i do get an amazon
I remember as a child being able to open the draft windows, stick my arm through the gap and un pop the door, is there a way i could "lock" the window?
I already have plans to fit a push button start, but is it worth fitting any other security features?
s60 2.4t, 2.0t, s70 and v70, s40, 240, 122s
Ovlovdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 22:37   #2
loon

you need not worry
volvo was ahead of you here, you need to push in a button to turn the latch, on later models there is a threaded button that needs unscrewing before the button can be pushed in,

you could fit a braker switch to the low tention lead form the coil to the dizzy
the live wire is in armoured cable to prevent hot wiring, so nothing to do there
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 22:39   #3
Ovlovdriver

is it worth investing in a stoplock? or is the steering wheel too big?
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 22:46   #4
loon

iv never used one so i wouldnt know, but the other type that clamps around the wheel and passes through it like a bar has caused a horn ring to get damaged on a car iv seen
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 22:49   #5
Faust
Master Member

I use an Autolok 2000 on my Amazon... its a 'half' disc lock type.

It's a bit big really: I have to have it pointing down rather than up as you're supposed to as it bangs on the screen if I try and fit it correctly (this is on a 14 inch diameter MotoLita wheel rather than the 16 inch (I think) standard steering wheel).

I also have an kill switch for the coil wired in to the ignition system - I'm not saying where though!
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 22:53   #6
Ovlovdriver

i've read about so many security wise mods you can do but i want to stick to the basics, and electronics(i assume a killswitch is leccy) isnt exactly my area of skills
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 23:17   #7
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovlovdriver View Post
i've read about so many security wise mods you can do but i want to stick to the basics, and electronics(i assume a killswitch is leccy) isnt exactly my area of skills
Never used to be my area either mate, but installing a switch is really easy.

Snip the relevant wire, install a spade terminal either end, connect to a switch and the job's a good 'un!

I'm sure a forum member local to you would be happy to give you a hand - if you're near Nottingham give me a shout.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 23:35   #8
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

Definitely I'd go for the disklok type anti-theft device and the kill switch. Don't forget the old favourite which costs nothing and takes no expertise to do: put the rotor arm in your pocket!

Compared to modern cars with immobilisers etc, it is an easy car to get into and hot wire or screwdriver away and attractive to be stolen to order, banger raced or stolen for scrap or parts so it is worth taking security of any older vehicle very seriously.

There'd be nothing more heartbreaking than investing lots of time, money and blood sweat and tears, and dare I say a little love only to have some rather unpleasant person take it all away.
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 23:50   #9
Ovlovdriver

well even my current cars im over protective. Im in an upstairs flat and constantly pop my head up when sat next to the window other than that i think i'll prep for what you guys have said. i've seen alarms around for £100 that go off when someone sits on the seat but they seem a bit too good to be true
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 00:05   #10
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

All good ideas. My two-bits: In a few amazons I've installed a breaker switch that cuts power to EVERYTHING by interrupting the line from the battery to the starter. I discovered by accident that it fits exactly into the hole where the coil sits - just above the gas pedal (who would know?). I can operate it with my foot whenever I leave or get into my car. Security, yes, but at the time I was equally as concerned with electrical fires while driving. I've had to use it once for that purpose. Nice too when I'm working on the car.

Coil is mounted on the inner fender, and yeah that electrical tape does look pretty bad, never had any shrink-wrap.

I saw one exactly the same in an automotive shop recently, so easy-enough.

See pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0104.jpg (204.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0105.jpg (265.3 KB, 34 views)