Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A/C condensation pipe location ?

Views : 3457

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2014, 18:09   #1
AndyMcc

Default A/C condensation pipe location ?

Hi posted recently about water in the interior light however it's never just rains but pours !
Rear carpet behind the drivers seat in wet. I've done some research and everything suggests it's the A/C elbow which clogs up. I've just been out and turned on the A/C, footwell blower, and after a minute I could see water collecting in the lower part of the rear air displacer thing ( that plastic defuser thing below the driver seat )
Am I right in thinking this elbow is on the right hand side of the centre consol almost below the clutch pedal ?
Where abouts under the vehicle does the water drain ( so I can check its clear )
My car doesn't have a sunroof.

Cheers,
Andy.
AndyMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 11:53   #2
AndyMcc

Yeap the elbows blocked. Carpets out and wet.

Does anyone know where it drains out under the car ?

Andy
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 08:21   #3
gswede

The ac drains through the plug found beside the clucth pedal.
If its been blocked and the rear is now flooded, I can tell you there is NO drain.

You have two options.

1.Remove all interior and carpet, massive job but carpet will dry quicker

2. Remove rear seats (easy only a couple of bolts in front of rear seat, behind plastic cover), pry rear end of carpet up, scoop water out, squeeze as much water out of the foam underneith carpet as possible, leave a piece of wood under carpet to pry it up as you leave a domestic heater blowing in under carpet for a couple of days, make sure you at least keep two windows open during this operation.
When everything is dry, get a drill out, make a 3mm hole at lowest part of footwell, so if it happens again, water will drain out of car.

If your car is pre 08` model, go by the dealer and get the new upgraded drain plug for the AC, it seats better and wont come off as easy.

Most people that have ac drain into car, its because of the plug coming loose.

Finally, get the interior air filter changed and the use a can of AC vent canal cleaner, follow can instructions to circulate its contents through the vent canals. This is cruicial as the environment inside the car with mould having been formed inside ducts etc can be very detrimental to your health and respiratory system.

Do not haul your kids in the car until sorted!!!

Beware that right hand drive cars can be prone to CEM corruption when changing interior air filter. Do leave job to proffesionals, if you can find one. At least google the issue.
My God how I hate these cars...

Last edited by gswede; Jul 21st, 2014 at 08:24.
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 10:38   #4
AndyMcc

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully sorted now. The car is MY 2009 so the elbow is the up graded one. The elbow comes out of the body work by the front exhaust box bracket and under the silver heat shield on the right hand side . My heat shield was pushed right up against the outlet effectively blocking the exit. I have bent the heat shield away and water flowed out freely. The black flex tube between the elbow and upper fitting has been put back and I've run the car with the air on on. Water now drips from the external part of the elbow, no leaking inside from the fittings or vent, problem sorted.
The carpets have been removed, washed and are currently drying outside. I'll be replacing the filter tomorrow. Excluding the drying time the job takes about 2hrs.
Happy it's sorted not not good for a 5 yr old car with 66,000 on the clock.

Andy
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 11:50   #5
gswede

Sure sounds like you got this under control, good job.
You might want to snap some pictures for future reference and sharing the experience as this is a common problem.
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote