Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key Fob Battery Life

Views : 4605

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2014, 13:40   #11
Welton
Premier Member

I've had my car for 5 years, it was 4 years old when I bought it, there's only one key and I haven't changed the battery so I reckon it's the original at 9 years old and still works fine in fact the key fob has the greatest 'range' I've ever seen on a car; I can 'plip' the car from massive distances away. Once I tried to unlock the car as an experiment from a distance and it worked....it was so far away I had to lock it again as there was no way I'd reach the car on foot in time.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 14:54   #12
Weejada77

It's great to hear that a lot of other people's keys still work as well as they did when they first came out of the factory.

Anyone else got the same, or similar issues? And has anyone worked round said problem at all?

V50 2.0D Manual 2004 (December) 54 Plate
Weejada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 15:06   #13
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

I just re-read your information from the start. You'll be pleased to know my batteries don't last as long as many others!

From what you've said about this affecting both keyfobs, you'd be very unlucky to have two faulty ones. I'm not saying it can't happen but I'd still be looking at the one thing that both fobs have in common, the batteries.

Have you tried a completely fresh stock of battery from a different source?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 16:26   #14
Weejada77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
I just re-read your information from the start. You'll be pleased to know my batteries don't last as long as many others!

From what you've said about this affecting both keyfobs, you'd be very unlucky to have two faulty ones. I'm not saying it can't happen but I'd still be looking at the one thing that both fobs have in common, the batteries.

Have you tried a completely fresh stock of battery from a different source?
Thanks Missing Lincs. I have bought various batteries (Energizer, Duracell, etc) from various sources. The only thing which must be causing the issue is the keys themselves but as you say, it is pretty unusual for both to be faulty?!

Old May 1st, 2014, 16:45   #15
jeffmasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weejada77 View Post
Thanks Missing Lincs. I have bought various batteries (Energizer, Duracell, etc) from various sources. The only thing which must be causing the issue is the keys themselves but as you say, it is pretty unusual for both to be faulty?!
i had a look on vida last night but could not find any info on how the keys work but it could be a issue with the car. some key fobs talk to the car when you lock or unlock and change its code each time if there was a fault with the car could mean the key is having to talk to the car for longer due to missed or corrupted reply's form the car.

maybe a good place to start is cleaning the alarm module and cem connections.

or find a local member with a dice to check the car for any codes.
Old May 1st, 2014, 16:57   #16
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

I think a car fault is unlikely. There is no interaction between the car and fob, you press the fob button, it transmits a signal. The rolling code part happens in the fob. If you press the fob too many times out of range of the car, the two become out of sync. Hence you see topics about re-syncing.

My next suggestion would be to try and measure the current flow from the battery to the fob. This will need a good multi-meter and some inspiration. You need to know if the fob is drawing current all the time or drawing too much current when it operates. Another check might be to look for a radio signal from the fob when no button is pressed. There are devices that will check for this, garages sometimes have them to test the operation of fobs.
Old May 1st, 2014, 17:52   #17
IainG
Premier Member

Hi Weejada77

Quote:
Thanks IainG for the thread. I have had the keys apart rather often due to the need for replacement batteries. So am pretty familiar with all the bits. Out of interest, where did you get the replacement switches?
I bought 10 from RS (RS Stock No.516-079)

If you get stuck give me a PM (I have some left)!

Iain

Last edited by IainG; May 1st, 2014 at 17:58.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 21:41   #18
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

VIDA shows a repair bulletin for the keyfobs. I can't find a part number for the repair kit but it looks like the switch membrane and another part is replaced. The other part appears to the the latch for the key blade.

Car manufacturers don't issue repair bulletins unless there is a known problem so it could be worth asking a dealership if there's a potential problem with your keyfobs?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:28   #19
Weejada77

Thanks IainG, we have an account with RS at work so I might give them a try.

Missing Lics, I'll try and get a decent multimeter as suggested and see what is going on when operating the keys. I'll also track down one of the radio things you mentioned. As far as the repair bulletin goes, doesn't sound like that should affect battery life?

Old May 2nd, 2014, 13:36   #20
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weejada77 View Post
As far as the repair bulletin goes, doesn't sound like that should affect battery life?
I presume its a simple refurb of the fob but I don't know, that's why I suggested contacting a dealer, you could also ask if they know of any issues which might cause the poor battery life?