Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc70 2006 rumble from haldex

Views : 1507

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 17:40   #1
Pastymunchingxc70

Default Xc70 2006 rumble from haldex

Soo guys thought I'd post here too, since I got the car 2minths ago I've had what can only be described as a wheelbearing rumble.
At 1st thought it was the front as when I touch the brake pedal it stopped.
So I put the car on a ramp and all 4 wheels turn when in drive.but same again when it gets to 30mph exactly the rumble starts.when I pulled the handbrake it stopped.not a wheelbearing as 1st thought....only thing was rear end.so after a bit of digging I thought haldex. Now here's where it becomes odd the fuse 7.5amp was in it holder with a jumper wire on it.fuse is fine. Pulled it all out and now no rumble at all.why would a jumper wire be in the fuse.goingbto replace the fuse tommorow and see what happens.
Pastymunchingxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 17:09   #2
100K+
Premier Member

This may not be correct, but I ran a V70 R AWD and had haldex issues. I read lots much now alas forgotten, but IIRC the haldex pump has issues with the filter getting blocked ( certainly earlier variants and even later ones if the filter has never been changed) this caused the fuse to blow as the pump was overloaded, and AWD to cease.
Looks like someone has decided to "force" the pump to continue to work when it wanted to blow the fuse by adding extra wire. This extra current caused the pump to "complain" which was the noise you heard, and you may find the fuse is now blown, or did you pull that too - thats why its quiet???

Cheers
Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 18:40   #3
Pastymunchingxc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
This may not be correct, but I ran a V70 R AWD and had haldex issues. I read lots much now alas forgotten, but IIRC the haldex pump has issues with the filter getting blocked ( certainly earlier variants and even later ones if the filter has never been changed) this caused the fuse to blow as the pump was overloaded, and AWD to cease.
Looks like someone has decided to "force" the pump to continue to work when it wanted to blow the fuse by adding extra wire. This extra current caused the pump to "complain" which was the noise you heard, and you may find the fuse is now blown, or did you pull that too - thats why its quiet???

Cheers
Bob
Thanks for the reply the fuse was fine, when I get time and £££ iam going to pull out the pump and filter and have a look as I also bet it's all blocked up.
As for the fuse I pulled both and all quiet on the haldex front for now.
Not a job iam looking forward to as they didn't make it easy to do.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 18:41   #4
Pastymunchingxc70

With the fuse and jumper wire in the AWD worked which I was shocked at all 4 wheels turned when off the ground.