Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted. Top engine mounting.

Views : 602

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2014, 16:19   #1
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Default Wanted. Top engine mounting.

The big circular one, that sits just to the right of the top of the engine

For a P reg V70 2.5 20 valve.

I know I should buy new, but I haven't got access to a press, so buying a complete good one makes sense to me.

Ta people.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 16:46   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

You don't need a press, and chances are a second hand mount will in any event be equally worn out.

If you want it to be fairly easy to do then get a poly bush one. About £25 or less from loads of different sources. It might work fine, or it might prove to be just a bit more 'buzzy' at idle than you'd like.

On our V70 one of these was perfect, but on our S70 it was not so smooth at idle.

You can get an OEM-style bush from Meyle again from various different on-line and local suppliers. The cost again I think is about £25.

I fitted one to our S70 without a press. I found that a little careful attention was needed to the bush itself to slim it down a bit - grinding a few thou' off the outer casing, but it wasn't difficult, it is a very snug fit, and it's been on the car now for years with absolutely no bother.

If I had to do the job again I'd go Meyle and get my little bench grinder cranked up.

I think removing the whole mount assembly would be no less tricky - and you'd still have an old mount!

You could fashion yourself a bit of a home-made nut-and-bolt press, but again, it's not at all difficult to do.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 19:20   #3
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

I do understand what you're saying about buying new etc, but I'm back at work tomorrow, long hours and I don't get online too much, so, has anyone got one of these ingood condition, for sale please?

The Following User Says Thank You to Tetleysmooth For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 08:25   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Fair do's - hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Jack
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 09:12   #5
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

My top mounting is in a fair old state, so I've ordered a powerflex. Will be sorting that on Sunday. Thanks for the replies Jack.
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 10:42   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

The old bush is best cut out using a hacksaw. The rubber bush itself is contained in a steel ring, so you need to cut through this in two places, then the old bush will fall out. Pack a bit of rag around where you're cutting to catch any swarfe.

Also, the dissy cap is very close, and so you might want to remove it temporarily to give yourself a bit more elbow room. I didn't and managed to crack the cap around one of the bolt holes. I was a lucky in that the cap wasn't fubarred, but it could have been. Last thing you want is to be shopping for a new dissy cap at 3pm on a Bank Holiday Sunday!

It can help a lot if you gently chamfer the leading edges of the two halves of the polybush, and then use some copper grease or similar to help the thing slide home.

There's a bit of grunting and cussing involved but it really is a very simple job.

No need to support the engine with the old bush out - just don't try to drive anywhere 'till you're done!

Cheers

Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2014, 20:47   #7
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetleysmooth View Post
I do understand what you're saying about buying new etc, but I'm back at work tomorrow, long hours and I don't get online too much, so, has anyone got one of these ingood condition, for sale please?

I have a used one with 120k miles on it.

let me know if you want it

-Matt
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:10   #8
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixah View Post
I have a used one with 120k miles on it.

let me know if you want it

-Matt
Thanks Matt.

I received my Powerflex mounting yesterday and will be fitting it today.
One of our fitters at work gave me a threaded bar, some big washers and nuts to hopefully press the two halves together.
I'm rather looking forward to the finished job, the inside of the car is quite noisy.