Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1984 240DL Auto for sale

Views : 2192

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2010, 18:36   #1
MSW

Default 1984 240DL Auto for sale

Owned by my mother from new (September 1984) - as she is now 80 we've suggested she downsize! Her pride and joy and she has now reluctantly agreed to sell.

It is immaculate for its age - it has been well looked after - hand washed and garaged for most of its life.

Mileage 102,486 (Automatic). Taxed to 31.10.2010, MOT to 04.11.2010. Slight rust spots on lower part of doors as expected with an almost 26 year old car. Radio does not work and aerial broken! Rust on rims as can be seen on photographs. Slight wear to driver's seat and carpet, but not torn at all.

Difficult to part with, as it has been a part of our family for so long.

£500.00 ONO - please phone on 07980 885865 - if no answer please leave message and I will ring you back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1984 Volvo 240DL (1) Auto.JPG (62.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 1984 Volvo 240DL Auto (2).JPG (64.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 1984 Volvo 240DL Auto (3) JPG.JPG (56.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Dashboard.(4) JPG.JPG (64.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Front interior (5).JPG (67.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Speedo. (6)JPG.JPG (41.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Interior (7)JPG.JPG (53.8 KB, 127 views)
MSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 09:03   #2
MSW

Smile Further Information

Sorry, I got the date wrong - purchased new in August 1984. Also it has been converted to unleaded. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 13:34   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Smile 240 for sale

Smart 240 you have there!

Worth letting this run a little bit on here. Half-six on a Sunday night is a bit late in the day for many folk to have picked up on this as yet. Hopefully if you give it a day or two then you'll start to generate some interest.

Anticipating some of the questions that may crop up, the big enemy of any older car - even Volvos - is rust. 240s attract the tin worm around the rear wheel arches, in the spare wheel wells in the boot, along the door bottoms and door sills, and around the front and rear windscreens. Apart from the bits you've mentioned on the doors, is there any other rust appearing? Honesty is the best policy.

Are there any fluid leaks at all from the engine, gearbox or rear axle? When was the cambelt last changed?

At the last MoT were there any advisories issued?

Can you shed a bit more light on the work done for the unleaded conversion?

Does the gearbox function smoothly?

The engine is probably the B21 2127 cc carb model (with a choke) and the 3-speed autobox, but it would be good if you could confirm that.

Thing is that slightly older pre-1982 244 cars (as you'll have seen on here and on Ebay) tend to command £500+ price tags, but the 'newer' post 1982 cars can sit in the doldrums a while. A smart grey 240 B-reg manual sold quickly on Ebay only last week. An auto gearbox can hinder things a bit. Your car is not quite old enough to be deemed a 'classic', but a bit too old-fashioned and thirsty to be a car for daily use.

I think it would be good if you could add a pic or two more of the interior and the engine bay. The more likely buyer for your car will be thinking in terms of possible prizes at the various VOC meetings. Illustrating it's current state in some detail might spark someone's desire to acquire, polish and show off! It's less likely that anyone will want it as a daily driver quite frankly.

Good points are the provenance, low mileage, MoT and tax. Bad points are the colour (white is like Marmite - you either love or hate it!), the autobox and the 'in-between' age. £500 might be a tad ambitious, but you have added ONO!

Hope these few pointers are helpful. Persevere a while - it looks to be a good car.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 14:36   #4
MSW

Thanks Jack - much appreciated.

I "am my mother's daughter", and have inherited from both parents an interest in cars - I had a 1978 Volvo 242 in California from new and mother took it over when I came back here in 1981 - and she had to have one here when she returned but the two door wasn't available! Shame we didn't buy a higher spec though.

I have not assessed all the very relevant questions you pose. I will attempt over the next 48 hours to answer each one. I don't believe there are any leaks, but will carefully check the garage floor and under the bonnet. I'm sure we have all relevant paperwork, so will dig that out also.

Appreciate your comments re age/auto, etc. Very much appreciate all your comments. Will get the "menfolk" to make sure I answer correctly!

PS we are flexible on price, our main concern is for it to go to "A good Home", not somewhere where it will be "trashed".

Regards,
Sue
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 19:31   #5
MSW

Answers to Capt Jack's questions:

Engine is B21 2127 as he suggests.

No leaks - I have checked garage floor and looked for any obvious leaks in engine compartment - can't see any.

No advisory notices on the MOT of 12/10/09. All MOT's from 1990 are available.

Was converted to Unleaded on 10 November 1999 by Drayton Motors Volvo in Chester. Unfortunately other details.

The auto gearbox we think is smooth, but let's face it they've come a long way since 1984, but it does feel much as it has always done.

Rust - the front bit of the rear wheel arches - I have tried to take photos, but they are not very good, but you can see the rust. Also, the rust on the bottom of near side rear passenger door. I couldn't lift out the tyre, but I couldn't see any rust at the side. The interior is in very good condition, it has been well looked after.

Passenger side rear view mirror is cracked.

In 2008 the offisde front & rear lower and nearside rear suspection arms were
coroded and therefore repaired for the MOT.

Now the bad news - I cannot find anything out about the cam belt. Mother recently had a tidy up and throw out, and appears to have thrown out all bills older than 2007, (Except the original invoice for the car from Hindle & Walker in Bolton). The full Volvo History was kept up to 93,000 miles (and serviced by Volvo), which possibly means that the cambelt would have been changed at the appropriate time. However this last Volvo service was in 2001. The car has not reached its next due service, although it has been to independent garages for various service and repairs.

In view of Jack's comments (for which I am grateful) and the above, we are now prepared to reduce the price and are open to serious reasonable offers. Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Mobile 07980 885865
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior.jpg (46.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Front passenger door.jpg (54.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Rust on Wheel arch rear nearside.jpg (31.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg view of rear window no rust.jpg (46.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Engine.jpg (54.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Engine 2.jpg (73.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Engine 3.jpg (67.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo Rust on door.jpg (30.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Small dent near front passenger door handle.jpg (24.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Interior 2.jpg (48.9 KB, 70 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to MSW For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 20:23   #6
skidje
Master Member

would have tought this to be a 4 speed autobox when talking about 1984. But indeed the OD knob ssems to be missing on the stick (drivers-side!) Or is this picture a bit unclear?
Nice car btw..
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 20:41   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Autobox

I'd be pretty certain it's a 3-speed autobox, as this was standard UK spec on the 1984 DL and GL models with the B21A engine. The 4-speed autobox was available in 1984, but only on the GLE and GLT models with the B23A engines.

When our first baby became imminent we went all safety-conscious and bought a 1984 240DL exactly like this white one, and that had a 3-speed autobox. Our car became affectionately known as 'Big Jessie', and it was a superb car in many respects. The boot swallowed up tons of shopping plus buggies, changing bags and all the trappings and trimmings of babyhood. But it was never a really happy motorway cruiser, unlike the 1987 740 2.3GL 5-speed manual we also had at the same time.

Of course if you could find a good later-model donor car it would not be impossible to swap the engine, box and rear axle for something to give a bit more of a relaxed cruise.

Just as late 1970s 'flat front' 244s are becoming more sought-after now, my hope is that in a couple of years time cars like this one will become more desirable. I've no connection with the vendor at all, but it would be a shame if this car was lost to the banger racers, or broken for spares. I hope that an enthusiast on here does take the car on.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 19:18   #8
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

whats the brown stuff on the inner wing - is it waxoyl or the remnents of a water leak ?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:40   #9
MSW

Sorry, I haven't a clue and as it is has been my mother's car and she's now 80, I'm not sure I will be able to determine. However, we'll try and I'll post comments over the next few days.

MSW
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 21:12   #10
Downton

Default Still For Sale?

Hi Just wondering if this is still for sale?...Also is there a towbar fitted?....Not owned a 240 for a while and looking to find another as my car for weekend trips...Good home given by mechanic who hates modern technology and is tired of towing our dandy trailer tent at the helm of the better halfs Purple Rav 4 toyota with a pink and yellow daisy on the rear door....The Rav is great but the looks I get are starting to give me a complex..In stoke-on-trent so could view at convenient time to suit,weekend pref,when its light..and the kettle is on..!! Thanks Wilf..
Downton is offline   Reply With Quote