Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is this part called?

Views : 265

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2024, 15:34   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default What is this part called?

EDIT: I found the name. "Throttle link rod" I just don't know how to adjust it and I'm affraid of breaking it.

I think this "Throttle link rod" is adjusted too short and that's why the idle is too high. No matter how much i unscrew the little adjustment screw the idle does not drop from 1000.
The sensor is clicking and is well adjusted.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 5th, 2024 at 15:37.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 15:40   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I call it the throttle linkage rod, you slacken the little 8mm nuts off and then turn the metal bit in the middle with the flats one way to lengthen it and one way to shorten it. Be careful not to overtighten the nuts as the plastic will be brittle and can easily crack, make sure you are using a guide on how to do a basic idle setting as you don't want to just mess around with it blind.

It's worth pooping the ball sockets off and putting a small bit of grease in them.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 15:59   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I call it the throttle linkage rod, you slacken the little 8mm nuts off and then turn the metal bit in the middle with the flats one way to lengthen it and one way to shorten it. Be careful not to overtighten the nuts as the plastic will be brittle and can easily crack, make sure you are using a guide on how to do a basic idle setting as you don't want to just mess around with it blind.

It's worth pooping the ball sockets off and putting a small bit of grease in them.
I was consulting this guide on brickboard: https://brickboard.com/RWD/volvo/168...djustment.html
The proess you describe is after releasing the ball sockets right? And that is my issue. It looks like you just pop them with a screwdriver and the ball soket will release right? I just don't want to assume and brake them.

Btw, do you agree with my deduction that that is the reason the idle is high? I mean, the throttle lever isn't even touching the adjustment screw and the idle is steady at 1000.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 16:03   #4
SalvadorP
Master Member

you pop these and they open up?
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 17:04   #5
SalvadorP
Master Member

Either I'm missing something in my understanding of this system, or my car has some part that is not mounted/set-up correctly.

I untied the linkage rod and the adjustment screw and the idle did not drop one bit. The throttle lever just remains in the same position, just doesn't drop/close any further. What does this mean?

I don't know if this means anything, but with the car runing, i pinched the inlet hose that goes to the IAC and the idle dropped (don't know how much because I was doing this alone) but the car didn't stall.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 18:03   #6
griston64
Premier Member

Idle is adjusted with the TPS did you check that was ok ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 18:25   #7
Forrest
VOC Member

Yes. You pop the clip on top of the ball sockets up and you can then click the linkage off. They still attach quite firmly even if the clip is broken, so best do this when they are warm to try to minimise the risk of breakage.

If you do break either of the plastic parts then they are still available. They are different and sold individually without the metal threaded rod, which is sold separately.

Right-hand thread (top) 946703
Left-hand thread (bottom) 946704

You adjust the linkage per the attached. It will adjust in situ because of the opposing threads, but you need to undo the lock nuts which are also left- and right-threaded.

You do not use this linkage to adjust idle. However, you do want to ensure that it is properly adjusted before checking idle. The steps to set idle are covered succinctly in this thread on Turbobricks, alas without pictures.

https://turbobricks.com/index.php?th...1/post-2921952

However, before embarking on this bear in mind that none of these settings generally go out unless someone has previously messed with them to try and mask another problem. Erratic or high idle is not going to be due to a sudden conspiracy in these components!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo Throttle Linkage Adjustment.pdf (149.7 KB, 2 views)
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 22:40   #8
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Idle is adjusted with the TPS did you check that was ok ?
You mean the position of the sensor influences how high/low the idle is?
I had messed with the TPS recently and the car was idling bad and very high. I think it was when I tighten the bolts the sensor probably moved slightly and maybe it wasn't clicking. Now it's idling very steady. Although slightly high at 900rpm give or take, but seamingly better than it was before I tried adjusting it the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
However, before embarking on this bear in mind that none of these settings generally go out unless someone has previously messed with them to try and mask another problem. Erratic or high idle is not going to be due to a sudden conspiracy in these components!
Fortunately the plastic seems to be in great shape. Maybe it's not original. I did however realize that the linkage did not indeed need adjusting.
There is still soething about this system I'm not understanding fully.

Grinston said above that the idle speed is adjusted on the TBS. Does that mean depending on the rotation of the sensor the idle will be high or low? This is probably a very stupid question
Does it mean that if I keep rotating the sensor counter clokwise after it clicks the idle will be lower? I screwed it it place right after it clicked.