Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water ingress from right side of boot/tailgate

Views : 390

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2024, 11:59   #1
IWantedADiesel

Default Water ingress from right side of boot/tailgate

After power washing the car, I noticed quite a bit of water had leaked onto the load cover.

Water was also leaking from behind the trim piece pictured.

When it rains it doesn’t appear to leak.

Presume the culprit is the rubber trim pictured?

Old Mar 8th, 2024, 15:38   #2
rabbituk

I think I read of someone glueing that back into place.

How supple are the gaskets around the boot hinge? I found mine to be quite hard upon inspection and so applied a rubber care product (Gummi Pflege). If that gasket doesn't flex properly then it won't seal. I use this product on all my foam/rubber door seals.
rabbituk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rabbituk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 20:32   #3
bob12
bob12

As ^^^. Unfortunately, I found it impossible to enlarge photos quickly ... but, I had the same problem on my V70.

The solution was to liberally wipe the large/thick rubber pad on the visible hinge and, other seals in the vicinity where the tailgate hinge closes on to the car frame, with a generous amount of silicone grease. No more problems!

This all happened/was fixed after replacing dead tailgate struts. You might also find there is a tailgate wash pipe connection behind the pillar (near the speaker) which has failed rather than the connection under the cargo floor.

Some cars have two rather than a single one-way valve fitted to the tailgate wash/wipe. One behind the pillar trim and the other in the tailgate frame immediately behind the visible jet.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 17:03   #4
IWantedADiesel

Thanks both. The gaskets seem to be fairly supple but I shall definitely try out the Gummi-pflege.

Is there a product you’d recommend for sticking that wayward rubber trim back in place?
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 19:22   #5
bob12
bob12

Just realised what the 2nd pic shows! Yes, my strip-seal was also like that as I seem to recall. I think I may have fitted it back but, I am unsure until I look as I have a feeling after thinking about it at the time it might need to be like to chanel any water away downwards. Who knows but, I have a look tomorrow!!

Bob.
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 13:45   #6
bob12
bob12

Having looked I now recall that I re-attached the short top length of the seal where the original factory sealant had failed using a short run of superglue gel and then smearing the outer side of the join with silicone grease.

It doesn't appear to be a true seal but something to divert water down and away via the outer side of the tailgate opening. The real seals are those on the tailgate itself and the large square'ish ones fixed on the hinges. A decent coating of silicone grease on the hinge seals fixed my leak which as said only happened after I replaced the gas struts.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70 Tailgate Inner Seal.jpg (290.6 KB, 15 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 02:00   #7
phatboy130
1999 V70 XT Auto

Might be worth checking the rear lights are secure, I had a small leak like this on my previous V70 caused by a slightly loose light unit.

740 / 850 / V70 / 440

Current: 1999 V70 XT Auto
phatboy130 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phatboy130 For This Useful Post: