Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SPA Phone Wireless Charging Solution

Views : 8561

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2020, 20:42   #31
Wedge0107

I've the same set-up as ma94jcg and to answer your question it is plugged into the USB nearest driver in the storage box, no problems with connectivity and yes it works with no issues while on the wireless charger. I bought mine from CARPLAY2air.com cost me about £99 when converted and took a couple of weeks to arrive from China. Worked straight out of the box with simple instructions. I find it boots up Spotify far quicker on Carplay through the device than the inbuilt Spotify account in car from switch on.
V90 MY20 D4 Osmium Grey Momentum Plus with Xenium Pack | Winter Pack | Heated Windscreen | BLIS | Tinted Windows | Keyless Entry | 4-Zone Climate | Hands Free Tailgate | Mud Flaps | Tempa Spare | Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wedge0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wedge0107 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 11:11   #32
ma94jcg

it works as you say. cplay2air adaptor in the compartment with the USB closed. The iphone can be anywhere (typically on the wireless charger)

As an added bonus, when both my wife's and I have our iphones in the car, we can choose the mobile to connect to in the startup screen, or if we don't it automatically defaults to the last phone that was used
ma94jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma94jcg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 18:04   #33
Lennyboybruce

Hi, just before Christmas I received the cplay2air and had what I thought connected this up correctly. Since then and I don't know what I have done, but Spotify now tells me that it is OFFLINE and I can only play the tracks from my downloads? Checking Spotify on my phone it also says offline (sort of makes sense) but I am certain that I had it playing any track and ONLINE when I first connected it up. I have checked that I am not connected to any other wifi and BT including the car (although I do see VOLVOXC60 appear in the wifi the only phone but this is NOT the name of the SSID in my car?) so I am now at a bit of a loss?

Just an additional note - I have checked the Spotify settings and all is ok, I have absolutely no issues with it out and about when walking nor at home?

I tried to restart the installation, but the results remain the same - clearly, I am doing something wrong, and any guidance as to what would be much appreciated?

Thx
Lennyboybruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 10:53   #34
ma94jcg

hmm interesting. If Spotify works fine outside of your car then must be something do with what happens when you get to the car. Is your phone joining the Volvo car wifi (which may not have an internet connection)? Also worth checking Spotify has access permissions to mobile data

I've not had any issues with my setup, still working great after a month
ma94jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 14:57   #35
Lennyboybruce

I agree, and as I mentioned I turned off all Wi-Fi and BT connections before setting up (for the 2nd time) yet I do see VOLVOXC60 appear on phone under Wi-Fi

Do you know the SSID the cplay2air broadcast name is by any chance?
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 16:35   #36
Lennyboybruce

Ok, so pleased to say that this is now sorted as it was driving me nuts!!.

The problem was that the data for Spotify usage in my phone setting was turned to OFF. I wasn't experiencing the issue away from home as all of my music is downloaded for offline use.

Not sure why this setting is as it was, it is a work phone and we have pretty much unlimited data, I must have done this when going thru everything to get this resolved.
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 23:06   #37
PompeyXC60

With the wireless charger in place, are you still able to use both of the cup holders? Some of the photos I’ve seen make it look like the charger intrudes on the front cup holder…
PompeyXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 09:33   #38
Wedge0107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyXC60 View Post
With the wireless charger in place, are you still able to use both of the cup holders? Some of the photos I’ve seen make it look like the charger intrudes on the front cup holder…
Depends on the size of the cup. The cup holder nearest the dashboard is ever so slightly impacted by the charger. It will still fit a 330ml can perfectly straight, but anything wider is a struggle for that holder.
V90 MY20 D4 Osmium Grey Momentum Plus with Xenium Pack | Winter Pack | Heated Windscreen | BLIS | Tinted Windows | Keyless Entry | 4-Zone Climate | Hands Free Tailgate | Mud Flaps | Tempa Spare | Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wedge0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 13:46   #39
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev60driver View Post
I've never ordered from AliExpress, heard some bad things, do you trust it/the seller? How long did it take to arrive? Where you based?
Been buying from AliExpress for years. Its generally fine but occasionally it goes wrong big style and takes ages to get your money refunded. I'm still buying so it can't be that bad :-)

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 13:48   #40
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
I would add another question asking whether your AliExpress purchase was subject to a customs charge when it arrived here in the UK?

Orders from overseas always look good until you get hit by an HMRC levy and then the Royal Mail charge you an extra £8+(no idea what the latest charge is) to tell you that they have the parcel, it is subject to HMRC and here is our bill for holding it. I'm not sure what the current value triggers HMRC interest but I've always had £15 in my head.
I know I'm going to live to regret this statement, but I've never been charged duty for anything off AliExpress.

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post: