Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Failure......or not ?

Views : 1518

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:38   #11
penninepullman
VOC Member

The reference made to MOT re-tests being free as long as car is re-tested within 14 days no longer applies. The new computerised MOT has resulted in changes. You only have until end of next working day, and only then for certain items.

Here is an extract from the Department for Transport website:

The current requirements for MOT retest procedures can be found in the MOT Testing Guide (see the VOSA website for further information at http://www.vosa.gov.uk/. Every Vehicle Testing Station (VTS) must have at least one up to date copy of the guide and the Fees and Appeals poster. The poster must be displayed on the official notice board in the reception area of every VTS.

Currently if a vehicle is removed from a VTS following the refusal to issue an MOT certificate the subsequent re-examination falls in to 2 categories.

1. If the vehicle is returned to the same VTS and retested before the end of the next working day on one or more of the following items only.

Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) warning, boot lid, brake pedal anti-slip, direction indicators/hazard warning, doors, dropsides, emissions, fuel filler cap, headlamp aim, horn, lamps, loading door, mirrors, rear reflectors, registration plates, seat belts (but not anchorages), seats, sharp edges or projections, steering wheel, tailboard, tailgate, vehicle identification number (VIN), windscreen, windscreen wipers/washers, wheels* and tyres*.

(* excludes class I & II)

Only a partial re-examination is required with no additional fee.

2. In any other case a full examination is required and an amount up to the maximum full fee may be charged.
penninepullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:30   #12
jetronic63

Default re: MOT Failure......or not ?

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies, some useful info in there. Although the car stops nicely without any vibes or pulling left/right, I am going to change the discs alround (and pads) mainly for peace of mind but also as I think it will definately fail on the rears. The previous owner didn't use the car very much and I think the rears have just suffered from low use allowing corrosion to get a hold.

All I've got to do now is work out what type of discs are fitted - according to Haynes there are two types and you can work out what ones are on the car by a code on the VIN.

.....sounds like a recipe for ordering the exact opposite of what I need

Steve
jetronic63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:39   #13
october37

Exclamation Mot Test

I am amazed at the interest shown by members, in getting your car through its mot without any suggestion of just putting the faults right.
Most of us who are genuine Volvo enthusiasts want our cars to be in perfect mechanical condition, and are prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve that. We wouldnt dream of driving around with duct tape holding our cars together.
Lets face it, the whole idea of the not test is to avoid faulty and sometimes dangerous vehicles from being a hazard to all who use the highways.
The repairs to your Volvo probably wouldnt cost more than a couple of hundred pounds, and a lot less if you did the jobs yourself, so why not repair the thing instead of listening to ways round the faults in order to pass the mot test. Second hand parts including brake disks and rear lamp lenses are quite cheap from CP Motors.
However, good luck with the test.

Keith
Previously over the years, 340, 4 x 240s, 850 T5, S70, V70 Classic, Now V70 Mk2
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:31   #14
charlotte001

Never had a disc fail yet even if the rears aren't all shiney. I never knew they would fail on Discs other than if they were totally stuffed.

Charlotte
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 15:30   #15
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've had a car fail because the disks had surface rust from standing a long time. I cleaned them up with sandpaper on a block and then it passed.

Steve, I think you will find the only difference between the disks is that some are solid, others are thicker with a vent in between the two surfaces.
It's immediately obvious which are which.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 19:13   #16
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Just as a bit of information, if you are looking for brake parts, discs, pads etc, I had a look on thos site recently, and was very surprised at how low their prices are:-

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 21:44   #17
jetronic63

Default MOT Failure........maybe not !

New Brembo discs and pads all round, refurbed calipers - at least the brakes should pass !

Now, where's that Swarfega )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1531.JPG (113.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by jetronic63; Jun 21st, 2006 at 21:49.
jetronic63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:53   #18
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by october37
Second hand parts including brake disks and rear lamp lenses are quite cheap from CP Motors.
Based on what you said above, I presume you are suggesting second hand rear light lenses and not second hand brake discs?!

Pete
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:23   #19
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

My policy with things like disks, which are exposed for a visual inspection as well as just a performance test, is to clean them up and remove any ridges well before the MOT. Never leave anything that might draw attention. Once he starts having doubts about how rusty is rusty, and decides to fail it, you have no choice then but to buy new components. Just saying at the retest, "Oh, I found some old ones and cleaned them up a bit" doesn't sound very convincing.
But do it beforehand anyway, and if they work properly it will sail through.

With care you can remove the outer ridge with an angle grinder. Then go round in a circular motion with fine emery on a pad. Check each piston will retract easily, and replace any worn or unevenly worn pads. Then drive it for a few weeks BEFORE the MOT so that the pads wear in nicely and any sanding marks on the disks are smoothed out.
Disks will last 345,000 miles (so far) given care.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote