Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

144s, I'm actually putting it back together!

Views : 6505

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 22:20   #11
940_Turbo

I got a bit done on the reassembly; The first task was to get the new instrument cluster ready to be fitted. This is one of the rare Volvo Rally clusters, the 5 dial, not the slightly more common GT cluster which has 4 dials. To that end I made the two looms for the new instrument cluster It needs one for the rev counter and one for the oil pressure gauge which are not in the factory loom. I also fitted the oil pressure gauge sender.

Those done I fitted the cluster itself. I couldn't resist also adding the new steering wheel. The wheel comes from a Ferrari Testarossa and is similar to the early Volvo R sport wheel. It is also an appropriate diameter for the 144.

Before I could fit the wheel I took all the switches out of the dash so I could change the dashboard face trim. The old one had holes in it where the wood trim used to be fitted. I think it looks good. Mark and I took the deliberate decision not to restore the gauge panel. We;'re not trying to create something that looks completely new, rather it has to look all of a piece and purposeful.

I also dragged some bits off the shelf Mark has bought for the car, the IPD roll bar will go on imminently. Just the front bar, I don't like the handling with an overly stiff rear bar.

The heater valve is leaking, It must be the original so Mark dug deep and bought a new one, I know there are work around solutions but we want the car just right. Waiiting in the wings there is also a 123 electronic distributor to complete the oily bits.

Mark and I thought long and hard and we’ve decided the car will wear Volvo 760 Turbo alloys; the tyres are fitted!

We did t test fit the Kronprinz steels, but we’ve decided not to use them on this car, they’re waiting in the wings for a 133 project...

As you can see the glass is also mostly in. All the drop window carriers have been replaced. They’re easy to fit once you get your head round them. You simply stand the glass up on end, put the carrier with its rubber clamping trip in the other end, but a length of wood on the metal channel and tap it on. If you hit the metal locally you’ll just end up with a C shaped channel.

940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:57   #12
Acme

What a good thread, I don't know how I didn't spot it sooner. Keep up the good work.

I am always envious of some peoples metal work skills. I need to get my hands dirty and learn.
Acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 23:04   #13
940_Turbo

Got a bit more done, it's pretty close to being a car now. It's mostly serviced, all the fluids have been changed, all the glass is in, the drop windows work, the door locks and window winders work.

It is also fully panelled up, though I do still need to adjust the bonnet. The grille is just popped in loosely as it still needs the bottom piece of trim fitting. I've also put the fuirst wheel on the car, I like it!

The next step is a set of new carpets.

The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:34   #14
john h
VOC Member

Looking good!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 23:00   #15
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

Get on with it https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/images/icons/icon7.gificon7.gif
Probley see you Sat or Sun.

Regards Rogerb
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:18   #16
940_Turbo

Fricking thing is going backwards; it broke its bonnet hinge spontaneously yesterday. Anyone want some nice 140 panels? If it keeps this up it'll be appearing on Ebay piecemeal.......
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 19:13   #17
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
Anyone want some nice 140 panels?
Funny you should say that.........
WPR678B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 21:33   #18
Dylan144GT

I dibs the Rallye gauge cluster! Master plan ... I'll sell my little sister into slavery!
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 07:39   #19
john h
VOC Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
Fricking thing is going backwards; it broke its bonnet hinge spontaneously yesterday. Anyone want some nice 140 panels? If it keeps this up it'll be appearing on Ebay piecemeal.......
Noooooo! Don't break it! It's far too good for that. It's just having a little sulk to test your devotion.

Anyway, it's not far from being done. Pleeeease finish it off !!

(But if all that pleading fails and you do break it, can I have first dibs on the steering wheel pls)

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 11:38   #20
940_Turbo

It was a bit tongue in cheek John, but the bloody thing does seem to have become institutionalised. It seems quite happy to be sat in a corner of the workshop; dry and warm with other cars for company. It hasn't yet turned a wheel in anger and has consumed a heater valve, drop window, windscreen wiper rack and bonnet hinge quite apart from the stuff we put on "voluntarily".

We also reckon the lowering springs are just springs; it's far too "tippy toes". It'll be spot on once it hits the road though.

Now where is the nearest banger racing track again.........?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Noooooo! Don't break it! It's far too good for that. It's just having a little sulk to test your devotion.

Anyway, it's not far from being done. Pleeeease finish it off !!

(But if all that pleading fails and you do break it, can I have first dibs on the steering wheel pls)

John
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post: