Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Volvo Car Press Releases

Notices

Volvo Car Press Releases A selection of press releases from The Volvo Car Corporation

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo auto brake fails during demo

Views : 3395

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 17:19   #11
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The reason this happened was the battery went flat the night before the test , they charged it in the morning and started the car and there was a crash dummy in it .. the people doing the test failed to see the message in the instrument panel that said the Auto-Brake system was disabled .. predumably some fault codes due to the flat battery needed clearing ..
They have done this test 400 times at the factory , so it was human error , and if a human was driving they would have seen the message .

Actually, thinking about it more, I'm not sure the explanation - even if true - justifies the accident. Would the warning light make any difference?

My logic is this: if a particular driver actually needs the system (and would otherwise have hit the truck) he or she is incapable of:
  • Driving at a safe speed
  • Noticing a stationary truck ahead
  • Lifting foot onto brake pedal & pressing

Therefore, it's surely unrealiastic to assume that the same driver could or would:
  • Drive at a safe speed
  • Notice a warning light
  • Notice a stationary truck ahead
  • Lift foot onto brake pedal & press

So, my thinking is, you either don't need the system - or you would hit the truck anyway.
(Unless of course, you did notice the warning light and the sight of it made you stay at home. In which case, should you have a licence?)

John

Last edited by john h; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 17:25.
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 22:56   #12
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

I don't think the presence of the warning light is the issue and the stationary truck is only one possible scenario - yes you should always stay alert, but how many times have we been distracted and suddenly realised that the car in front has pulled up suddenly! Year ago I rear-ended an Austin Princess (got to be very careful how you phrase that!) at low speed because another car was trying to push ahead driving on a chevroned part of the road and I was trying to avoid him, and in doing so failed to notice the Princess had stopped - OK the accident was technically my fault but had I had the Volvo braking system then I wouldn't have hit the car - just too much going on in that moment.

As I see it, this system is an aid to driving - we all make mistakes every so often - it applies braking in such a situation without the reaction time needed by the driver - and if it reduces accident claims & keeps premiums down it can't be such a bad thing.

Agreed if people rely on this and therefore drive carelessly then they shouldn't be on the road - for years us Volvo drivers have been accused/stereotyped of driving badly because we know we're in our safety cells, but personally although I am fully aware of that fact, I'd rather not drive in a way that may lose me my licence, car or life...

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 21:36   #13
john h
VOC Member

Judging by its performance on Volvo's formal press launch and demonstration, would you feel able to rely on it?

Not something you could test out really, without risking a hefty repair bill!

John

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 22:31   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Judging by its performance on Volvo's formal press launch and demonstration, would you feel able to rely on it?

Not something you could test out really, without risking a hefty repair bill!

John
yes of course you can , they have spent £ millions developing this over the last 5 years and had 400 sucessful operations in tests since it left the factory .. remember it is a continued develpment from the active cruise control , from 4 years ago its been steadily developedfrom the city safety in the XC60 ..the reason has been explained why it didnt work , there was a fault message in the instrument panel saying it was disabled and unfortunatly dummies cant read ! and it seems the operative setting up the test didnt look either !
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 21:17   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I'm very impressed with the way the crumple zone absorbs the energy in the crash, even if a technician mucked up the demo.

My sister in law drove into a stationary skip at 30mph so I could see the auto braking system being a very good thing to have on a car.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 21:39   #16
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes of course you can , they have spent £ millions developing this over the last 5 years and had 400 sucessful operations in tests since it left the factory .. remember it is a continued develpment from the active cruise control , from 4 years ago its been steadily developedfrom the city safety in the XC60 ..the reason has been explained why it didnt work , there was a fault message in the instrument panel saying it was disabled and unfortunatly dummies cant read ! and it seems the operative setting up the test didnt look either !
Depends whether or not you believe their story! Perhaps it simply did not work?

John

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 14:52   #17
Ben Hur

The battery went flat the night before the test so the system needed a reset to work.

My thoughts are what made the battery go flat on a new car? Has this been explained?
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 16:00   #18
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
The battery went flat the night before the test so the system needed a reset to work.

My thoughts are what made the battery go flat on a new car? Has this been explained?
Could be something as simple as leaving the sidelights (parking lights) on?

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:05   #19
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
That is their story. Do you believe it?

Could it, perhaps, be nothing to do with the battery, just a failed system? Maybe this was just the best story they could come up with afterwards to hide their embarrassment?

I can't be sure one way or the other. Perhaps what they say is true, but I'm not aware of any evidence to substantiate it.

John

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 23:03   #20
adam020290

didnt see no airbags go off either lol

if i had that auto brake system in my car id turn it off, for the simple fact that if i wasnt concentrating enough to press the brake when something stops infront of me then if my car braked by itself it wud make me jump and id probly swerve into oncoming traffic or something anyway

Last edited by adam020290; Jun 24th, 2010 at 23:08.
adam020290 is offline   Reply With Quote