Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Volvo Car Press Releases

Notices

Volvo Car Press Releases A selection of press releases from The Volvo Car Corporation

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

At 2.6 Million Miles, Irv Gordon and his Historic Volvo Roll

Views : 3357

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 18:40   #21
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprancingmoose View Post
1320 miles a week. Reckon he should get his back checked out to see if the lumber support works long term.
Volvos of that era were the first cars to have 'medically idealised' seats, which is probably why he has been happy to drive it so much!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 18:59   #22
Letyian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
And not a single stone chip ;o)

I'll be overtaking him soon with my 200,000 850 T5 - I've got a set of axel stands and a brick for the gas pedal
LOL! He may be using the same engine, transmission etc, but I bet he wont be using the same tyres - like you!

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.
Letyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 19:13   #23
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I could not afford the fuel at 1320 miles a week.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:11   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

http://savvytraveler.publicradio.org...20322intv2.ram A few facts about Irv and the car...

Irv Gordon's Volvo has to be a monument to the payoff of proper car care. It has been named the car with the highest mileage by The Guinness Book of Records. Irv bought the car new and has rolled up over two million miles!

After purchasing the car on Friday, he was back at the dealership on Monday with 1500 miles for it's first service. He drove the car back and forth to work, a 125 mile daily trip in the bumper-to-bumper commute on the notorious Long Island Expressway. And that includes treks through winter's salt and slush. Furthermore, Irv parks his Swedish sportster outside exposed to the sun and salt air.

Wait, it gets even better. Irv drives his Volvo cross-country to compete in Volvo Club shows. He has taken several First and Second Places in National competition. So what's his secret? Irv follows the book for recommended service intervals, changing his oil every 3000 miles, and hosing salt off the undercarriage with high-pressure hot water.

At 2.5 million miles some amazing numbers....

710 oil changes
0 false starts
0 replacement engines
cost of car new in 1966 $1,440 and only ever driven by Irv.
99 tune ups
8,285 tanks of fuel
About 100 (25 sets) of tyres according to what he says below

This is what Irv says has been replaced....

Transmission has had the 3rd gear syncro replaced as well as the front and rear oil seals.

Brake rotors have been replaced once and the rear drums are still original.

Clutch and throw out bearing gets replaced approx. every 450,000 miles as needed.

Carburetors get rebuilt and throttle shafts get rebushed every 900,000 miles

One new starter motor

Two fuel pumps (first pump was changed at 1, 251,000 miles)

Three water pumps

Shocks, bushings, tie rods, etc. are replaced as needed...also at very high mileage...usually over 400,000 miles

Front seats have been recovered twice ( I have no garage and the sun has a tendency to dry out the leather after a while). The rest of the interior is all original

Speedometer gets serviced by Smiths Instruments ( Nisonger Corp.) approximately every 100,000 miles...cleaned, lubricated and calibrated)

All gauges are original including the AM-FM radio

Sheet metal is original except for the rocker panels(rust), jacking struts (rust) and the rear panel due to an accident. The chrome has been redone about 20 years ago and the nose grille surround was replaced due to an accident in 1987.

Original radiator was damaged in the same accident in 1987...and I am on my second radiator.

Heater core and control switch have been replaced once.

Tires are replaced about every 100,000 miles and usually I need brake pads at about the same mileage. ( I use Bridgestone Tires)

Oil gets changed every 3500 miles and the rest of the service is done according to the owners manual.

Brake Master Cylinder and Clutch Master and Slave units have been replace twice each.
Brake vacuum Booster has been replaced once.

That is about all I can think of right now. If you have any further questions...feel free to drop a line. Always willing to help out. Many of the parts are still original....doors, fenders, hood, trunk...all locks, switches, wiring, distributor, overdrive, drive shaft, axles, wheels, wiper mechanism, window washer pump and bottle, horn, seat belts, and steering box. Sorry, that is all I can think of at this time.

Hope this helps clear up your questions.

Best wishes,

Irv

Truly Amazing.
Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Nov 25th, 2007 at 02:21. Reason: Add radio interview
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 17:22   #25
mr_roll

I often wonder if I bought a new Volvo today that it could do the same mileage by its the same age with the same routine of servicing...
mr_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 17:24   #26
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I think the answer to that would be a big no.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 22:32   #27
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_roll View Post
I often wonder if I bought a new Volvo today that it could do the same mileage by its the same age with the same routine of servicing...
Try it.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Roy