Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hissing sound when ac is turned on

Views : 1556

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 23:54   #1
Constantinos

Exclamation Hissing sound when ac is turned on

Hi everyone.
I have a slight problem with my air conditioning.
When I press the button to turn it on, there is a hissing sound for a few seconds, until the ac kicks in.
I should also add, there is a slight squeak when turning on the car, probably from the serpentine belt.
I say this because I did some looking and some people said that it might be the ac compressor pump.
However, I couldn’t find anything definitive.
Constantinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 21:40   #2
robinbanks

Basically just before the evaporator (under the dash) there is a component that restricts the flow of liquid refrigerant, after this the refrigerant is released into a larger area to drop the pressure. This is where the cooling process happens, I would be very surprised if this process could ever be totally silent, certainly when you first start the a/c
robinbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 01:08   #3
dambat

There's a recent post on this. It's an early sign of low refrigerant due to bubbles in the expansion valve.
dambat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dambat For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 22:07   #4
robinbanks

Please bear in mind that "flashing" can be caused also by a dirty condenser, so don't just assume low refrigerant in the system. Check the function of the components first. So many times low refrigerant charge is blamed for symptoms in an a/c system and it turns out to be bad house keeping.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 00:23   #5
Constantinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbanks View Post
Please bear in mind that "flashing" can be caused also by a dirty condenser, so don't just assume low refrigerant in the system. Check the function of the components first. So many times low refrigerant charge is blamed for symptoms in an a/c system and it turns out to be bad house keeping.
Hi mate.
It’s not any flashing, it’s just a hiss sound.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 00:24   #6
Constantinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbanks View Post
Basically just before the evaporator (under the dash) there is a component that restricts the flow of liquid refrigerant, after this the refrigerant is released into a larger area to drop the pressure. This is where the cooling process happens, I would be very surprised if this process could ever be totally silent, certainly when you first start the a/c
I don’t remember hearing this hissing sound though until before a few weeks ago?
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 00:25   #7
Constantinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambat View Post
There's a recent post on this. It's an early sign of low refrigerant due to bubbles in the expansion valve.
The refrigerant was refilled about 6 years ago, but it might have gone dry since then
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 09:52   #8
robinbanks

You are dealing with a system that is running refrigerant around it, this is constantly changing from a high pressure gas to a liquid. I haven't seen a refrigeration unit that runs 100% quietly. The refrigerant would never dry up. If your system was "dry" it would have tripped out long ago on low pressure. If you have any concerns about the system please take it to someone who is qualified and registered to work on such systems and is on the f gas register.
The Following User Says Thank You to robinbanks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 19:01   #9
glengibson

had exactly the same issue on mine, it was low on refrigerant gas. I had it re-filled and tested for leaks (none found) but it came back after 6 months

anyway I ended up replacing the condenser as it was looking a little worse for wear, had it re-filled again and its been great ever since (nearly 2 years ago)

so yes, low on gas but you need to find out why there is no gas in the system. I strongly recommend getting someone check it for leaks
glengibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 19:25   #10
Constantinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by glengibson View Post
had exactly the same issue on mine, it was low on refrigerant gas. I had it re-filled and tested for leaks (none found) but it came back after 6 months

anyway I ended up replacing the condenser as it was looking a little worse for wear, had it re-filled again and its been great ever since (nearly 2 years ago)

so yes, low on gas but you need to find out why there is no gas in the system. I strongly recommend getting someone check it for leaks
How can I check for leaks?