Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Difference between the Nivomat and standard spring

Views : 1509

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 16:03   #1
galiiiva

Smile Difference between the Nivomat and standard spring

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well?

My car is Volvo XC90 2011 2.4 AWD 185 BHP

One of my rear shock absorbers has leaked oil and it appears that this is a Nivomat shock absorber (I know that they are different to the standard shocks).

I have been looking online for a replacement and it appears that those are very costly to replace especially when you want to replace both which is the right thing to do.

I have tried to purchase 2 separate shocks SACHS 317 350 but have been told that they do not match the vehicle and the seller refused to sell them to me.

I have found that kit (not affiliated or trying to advertise them at all - just to point as a reference) - https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...oducts_id=9981. It looks like the shocks are the same as above?

I am struggling to understand why I have to replace the springs as well.

Looking at my springs and the ones in the kit I cannot find any difference and also when I spoke with the company they said the kit only include 2 shocks and 2 springs - no rubber mountings, beds, washer etc.

I'd appreciate if someone has gone through the same trouble and have replaced the rear shocks to explain/advise what is the difference.

I am interested not because I don't want to spend the money but the job will take way more time than if I replace the shocks only and at the moment I just don't have it.

I am not using the car under heavy load and probably have 7 passengers - 4 of them children only once a year for a birthday party - but that is all.

Any comments appreciated

Regards

Last edited by galiiiva; Jun 10th, 2022 at 18:03.
galiiiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 16:17   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

The springs fitted with Nivomats are basically softer than those fitted with standard dampers. This is because the Nivomats take some of the load. If you replace the Nivomats with standard dampers but don't replace the springs with standard springs, the back end of the car will feel very bouncy and will roll excessively through corners.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 17:45   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiiiva View Post
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well?

My car is Volvo XC90 2010 2.4 AWD 185 BHP

One of my rear shock absorbers has leaked oil and it appears that this is a Nivomat shock absorber (I know that they are different to the standard shocks).

I have been looking online for a replacement and it appears that those are very costly to replace especially when you want to replace both which is the right thing to do.

I have tried to purchase 2 separate shocks SACHS 317 350 but have been told that they do not match the vehicle and the seller refused to sell them to me.

I have found that kit (not affiliated or trying to advertise them at all - just to point as a reference) - https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...oducts_id=9981. It looks like the shocks are the same as above?

I am struggling to understand why I have to replace the springs as well.

Looking at my springs and the ones in the kit I cannot find any difference and also when I spoke with the company they said the kit only include 2 shocks and 2 springs - no rubber mountings, beds, washer etc.

I'd appreciate if someone has gone through the same trouble and have replaced the rear shocks to explain/advise what is the difference.

I am interested not because I don't want to spend the money but the job will take way more time than if I replace the shocks only and at the moment I just don't have it.

I am not using the car under heavy load and probably have 7 passengers - 4 of them children only once a year for a birthday party - but that is all.

Any comments appreciated

Regards
The one observation I would have is that Volvo do not recommend replacing in pairs (some one correct me if wrong).

The is not another Volvo more pampered than mine and I would not hesitate to replace a single Nivomat based on my understanding.

Naturally mine has 4 matching tyres which I rotate, I only use Volvo parts even at 120k and the auto box fluid, Haldex fluid etc etc has all been changed. But even I would change individually.

Also…. This discussion may hVe merit on a V70. However the 90 was never available without Nivomats so now we are into the realm of replacing it with cross referenced parts.

Honestly, bite the bullet and purchase a single one and replace it would be my advice.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 18:02   #4
galiiiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
The springs fitted with Nivomats are basically softer than those fitted with standard dampers. This is because the Nivomats take some of the load. If you replace the Nivomats with standard dampers but don't replace the springs with standard springs, the back end of the car will feel very bouncy and will roll excessively through corners.
Thank you Dancake, I thought that might be the case but never anticipated it will be as bad as it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The one observation I would have is that Volvo do not recommend replacing in pairs (some one correct me if wrong).

The is not another Volvo more pampered than mine and I would not hesitate to replace a single Nivomat based on my understanding.
Thanks XC90Mk1. I have always so far replaced most parts and especially shocks and tyres in pairs. My understanding is that while the other shock is still ok and performing, it is the original one and very likely the years have left its mark on it. This is why I am trying to understand the difference between the springs and will it be as bad as it sounds but I assume it might be
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 19:46   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you Dancake, I thought that might be the case but never anticipated it will be as bad as it sounds.

Thanks XC90Mk1. I have always so far replaced most parts and especially shocks and tyres in pairs. My understanding is that while the other shock is still ok and performing, it is the original one and very likely the years have left its mark on it. This is why I am trying to understand the difference between the springs and will it be as bad as it sounds but I assume it might be
I have always replaced in axle sets, tyres, shocks, springs, discs etc.

And I would replace the front shocks and front and rear springs in axle sets. But I understand there never was a requirement to do nivomats in pars.

The quality of nivomis high and end of life for one doesn’t mean end for other. They also don’t degrade as such. They simply work or don’t.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 21:14   #6
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Re the Nivomat springs vs the std non self levelling suspension, I believe the Nivomat compatible springs are much softer and a different length, so are totally incompatible with non Nivomat suspension setup, and vice versa.

Also don't rely on internet threads from American forums, many of the US spec'd cars didn't have Nivomat setup. All UK cars were 7 seat and supplied with Nivomat self-levelling suspension.

I also concur that there is no reason to replace both Nivomats if only one has failed. Second hand from a breaker should be fine, but remember the non-UK upgrade kit had 2 x springs and 2 x Nivomats for about £450 from a Volvo dealer, should the need arise (much cheaper than buying a single new Nivomat.)

Hope it helps

Last edited by TruckbusUK; Jun 10th, 2022 at 21:36.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 21:48   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post

Naturally mine has 4 matching tyres which I rotate, I only use Volvo parts even at 120k and the auto box fluid, Haldex fluid etc etc has all been changed. But even I would change individually.

Also…. This discussion may hVe merit on a V70. However the 90 was never available without Nivomats so now we are into the realm of replacing it with cross referenced parts.

Honestly, bite the bullet and purchase a single one and replace it would be my advice.
Yes that is correct , they dont seem to wear out but something fails in one or the other so replacing just one is fine.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 20:08   #8
galiiiva

Thank you all, appreciate your feedback.
I have ordered today a conversion kit and what I will do is will try to fit the shocks first to see if there is a difference in ride height and also will see if there is any difference in the softness of the springs.

I didn't want to go for 1 nivomat only.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 20:31   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you all, appreciate your feedback.
I have ordered today a conversion kit and what I will do is will try to fit the shocks first to see if there is a difference in ride height and also will see if there is any difference in the softness of the springs.

I didn't want to go for 1 nivomat only.
That’s interesting to hear. It’s not a route I will take as I use mine for load carrying but I would be interested to hear how you get on.

I imagine the springs will be stiffer and dampers suppler.

In theory, given the way the nivomats work it will be less ride height and more ride stability, I.e if you lod very heavy the nivomat will remain usual height where non novo shall drop.

Good luck with the install.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 20:38   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

nivo mat shocks carry abt 20per cent of the weight of the car .you will need the springs aswell. your car will sit abt 4in low at the rear without the correct springs. . ask me how i know i also tried what you are thinking on an 850 it made the car look like a speed boat
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: