Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Say hello to Olga the 144

Views : 8687

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2017, 17:56   #11
john h
VOC Member

Hi, a little more to report

I fitted the new master cylinder with new seals, and replaced the original reservoir, cleaned thoroughly

The mounts for the air filter box had become bent over time, so I made a simple tool to allow me to press them back to the right shape in the vice without crushing the lip around the edge

I am fitting period Volvo accessory wheels, made by ATS. They've been refurbished by the company Ste work for; I'm pleased with the result. (I have the correct centres on order from VP in Sweden)

Modeled on James's 164!

I wanted to stay with 165/80 tyres. Various reasons, but I wanted Olga to have nice steering feel - and the 'tall and spindly' look which always makes me smile when I'm driving in convoy with with Ste's 164.

Also, my partner (not a car person at all) has shown more interest than usual in this one, so I want him to be able to drive Olga without being put off by super heavy steering.

I researched what's available in 165/80 15 - obviously much less choice than with with modern sizes. The vintage pattern Michelins and Pirellis are nice, but hugely expensive. I was leaning towards Continental, when I found these Vredestein T-trac 2. The size, speed and load ratings are right, and they have a B grade in the wet grip testing - much better than any other 165/80 15 I could find available. (I find that most reputable tyres can do a reasonable job in the dry; it's wet grip where the big differences between good tyres and rubbish show up).

I'm also encouraged by their fairly poor economy rating, which in my experience tends to mean a softer, gripper compound. Price was reasonable at £43 each. I'll see how they perform and report back.

More updates soon

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:04   #12
Billy Smalls
Master Member

The bonnet hinge areas are incredibly tidy, as are the wheel wells....interesting that the original owners preferred the (recently introduced?) black on yellow rear plate.

Great project....well done!!
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:47   #13
Triple-S
How Old?

Agree Billy: the first thing I did when I bought my '70 144 was bin those most-inappropriate plastic number-plates and get some period ones. Whilst I agree with those that go on about "see and be seen" one never sees a proper vintage or veteran car wearing plastic. Totally spoils the originality IMO.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 12:07   #14
Billy Smalls
Master Member

I can only imagine an over-zealous MOT tester failed the period plates and modern plastic was the cheapest option...

Of course, in France (and I dare say other countries) you have to change the plate depending on where the car is registered, so often you'll have a beautifully finished Citroen DS for example with a hideous EU flagged plate....they don't even have the department flag on them now...
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 12:35   #15
john h
VOC Member

The number plates on Olga now are not plastic, they're aluminium with riveted on plastic digits.

I think the original owner fitted reflective plates as a modernising upgrade early in the car's life.

The later holiday photo, with the reflective plate, was taken in the very early 70s.

The front plate is damaged, so as a temporary measure to get her legal and mot'd, I have ordered some cheap pressed black plates from eBay. Eventually I will fit the riveted type, but as yet I haven't decided whether to go for black or reflective

J

Old Jun 15th, 2017, 14:24   #16
Billy Smalls
Master Member

mine are mirror line and are probably on the border of legal; the rear one is perished and the front one is held together with pop-rivets....it's passed MOT at several strict testers

personally I like the look of a well restored / polished classic with it's original knackered plates....
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 14:24   #17
Billy Smalls
Master Member

mine isn't a well restored / polished classic )
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 22:41   #18
john h
VOC Member

Any photos of yours Will?

Old Jun 17th, 2017, 18:02   #19
john h
VOC Member

A mini-update...

Olga's radiator recored and ready to be fitted

Not urgent, but I found this nice new old stock intermittent wiper kit on eBay

Carbs cleaned inside and out, and fitted with new pipes and gaskets

I fitted new rubbers to the cool original Anco wiper blades

More soon, John

The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 17:15   #20
john h
VOC Member

This is a test post to check if my photobucket account is working properly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post: