Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Liber-T Peage Tag, best location on the XC90 ?

Views : 16820

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2012, 20:35   #1
wadhurstdaisy

Question Liber-T Peage Tag, best location on the XC90 ?

I have just received a Liber-T French Toll tag to help speed my way to the slopes next month and would appreciate any advice from XC90 owners who have used one.

The instructions say to affix it behind the windscreen rear-view mirror but this area has a black coating.

Has anyone fitted their tag in this area and if so has it worked OK or have you had to locate the tag elsewhere.

If anyone is interested I got my tag from www.saneftolling.co.uk (I've no connection to this company whatsoever) and whilst, unlike the Dartford Crossing tags, you don't get a discount you do save time on queuing time on your journey and don't have the hassle of searching for change or credit cards at each toll booth. A friend of mine used one and he reckons he saved almost an hour each way when travelling to the South of France.

Many thanks,

Dave.
wadhurstdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wadhurstdaisy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 14:14   #2
wadhurstdaisy

bump .... anyone ?
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 18:29   #3
hut160

hi
I have one of these and put it just under the black rain sensor, but it didnt work. perhaps its something to do with the solar glass?
in the end I had to hang it out of the window , then it works a treat, good luck!
hut160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hut160 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 23:08   #4
laundryman
The Engineer

Took delivery of a Liber-t tag today & livened it up.
Went for a trawl about user problems and came up with this advice. Hope it helps:
I received my new shape mini-tag from Sanef last Wednesday. First opportunity to use it on Friday.

Not a promising start. Got to the first peage station from Calais, drove to the reserved "t" lane - no joy. Detached it from windscreen mount, tried waving it. Didn't work. Lots of scoffing French drivers making rude remarks as I reversed out ignominiously. Took a manual ticket, handed it in at the pay station at Junction 25 on the A16. However, the device then emitted an ear-splitting beep, almost as if it had decided to come to life. Had a chat with the pay station operator (it was a quiet day). His friendly advice is below.

After that, it was plain sailing all the way. Driving down towards La Rochelle on Saturday, I had a French driver actually jump out of his car and try to wave me away from the "t" lane on my approach. When the thing beeped and the gate opened, he was a little dumbfounded. An excellent result. The best entertainment is watching for the expressions of the locals expecting the idiot Brit driver to get trapped...and then the look of surprise when I drive away. However, not so good is watching tagless fellow Brits follow you into the lane and then get trapped...

Useful advice from the ticket booth guy:

1. Do not try to wave the tag around. It has to be in a fixed position. The old tags could be waved, but apparently the new mini-tags are more uni-directional. They will also not work if left on the dashboard.

2. Left side of the windscreen directly behind the rear-view mirror is the best place for mounting. If your car has the dotted pattern indicating the clear, wire-free area, place the mount there.

3. The mount can be detached and moved once it has been put in place. A flathead screwdriver will help to prise it away from the windscreen, but be careful.

Still investigating about the infra-red reflective coating on the glass. Will report back when I find anything

A Bonne Journey
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laundryman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 15:53   #5
wadhurstdaisy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Took delivery of a Liber-t tag today & livened it up.
Went for a trawl about user problems and came up with this advice. Hope it helps:
I received my new shape mini-tag from Sanef last Wednesday. First opportunity to use it on Friday.

Not a promising start. Got to the first peage station from Calais, drove to the reserved "t" lane - no joy. Detached it from windscreen mount, tried waving it. Didn't work. Lots of scoffing French drivers making rude remarks as I reversed out ignominiously. Took a manual ticket, handed it in at the pay station at Junction 25 on the A16. However, the device then emitted an ear-splitting beep, almost as if it had decided to come to life. Had a chat with the pay station operator (it was a quiet day). His friendly advice is below.

After that, it was plain sailing all the way. Driving down towards La Rochelle on Saturday, I had a French driver actually jump out of his car and try to wave me away from the "t" lane on my approach. When the thing beeped and the gate opened, he was a little dumbfounded. An excellent result. The best entertainment is watching for the expressions of the locals expecting the idiot Brit driver to get trapped...and then the look of surprise when I drive away. However, not so good is watching tagless fellow Brits follow you into the lane and then get trapped...

Useful advice from the ticket booth guy:

1. Do not try to wave the tag around. It has to be in a fixed position. The old tags could be waved, but apparently the new mini-tags are more uni-directional. They will also not work if left on the dashboard.

2. Left side of the windscreen directly behind the rear-view mirror is the best place for mounting. If your car has the dotted pattern indicating the clear, wire-free area, place the mount there.

3. The mount can be detached and moved once it has been put in place. A flathead screwdriver will help to prise it away from the windscreen, but be careful.

Still investigating about the infra-red reflective coating on the glass. Will report back when I find anything

A Bonne Journey
Didn't see your reply until I had got back from my journey ...

My experience is that it worked 1st time 90% of the time and on the two occasions it didn't ( incidentally at the same Peage albeit travelling outbound then a week later inbound ) as soon as I detached it from the mount it worked.

Like you I mounted it at the top of the windscreen behind the passenger visor on the basis that if you drive a left hand drive car that would be the side it would normally go, and, I don't have to look at it ! There is also some dotted windscreen all along the top edge ...

Considering that 5 mins delay when travelling at 80mph means that by using the tag you are 6.66 miles further up the road than someone who has to stop and queue. For them to make up such a distance they would not only be exceeding the speed limit but also using significantly more fuel.

Can't say I had any foolish Brits try to follow me though a few 'locals' did wave their arms either in polite warning or with aggression expecting us to get stranded at the barrier with other cars queued up behind before we could escape. Obviously their concerns were unfounded.

To conclude, at the very top of the screen in front of the left front seat appears to be the best location, it saves significant time. The only downside is the initial setup cost and the fact that each toll is NOT discounted. Taking all this into account it is still in my opinion worth the cost.

Hope this helps anyone who might be considering getting a Liber-T tag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wadhurstdaisy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 21:10   #6
Hopwood

Default Sanef Tag

Hi I have been in email conversation with Sanef about where to position the tag on my V60 as there is no mottled area behind the rear view mirror. The City Safety sensor fills that area and I have an electric heated windscreen which stops the sensor working. Their reply was as follows:

The issue will be due to a heat reflective windscreen, the metallic coating on heat reflective screens blocks the signal to toll road tags. The mottled area is always free from metallic coatings, the tag must be placed in there to work.

I can see from the photos you have sent in that Volvo have not left any mottled area available for toll tags, you need to ask your dealer if you have a heat reflective screen.

If you do then you need to ask Volvo where in the car they advise the tag should be positioned so it can be read correctly as they have not left any mottled area available.,

Not a lot of help really, does anyone have any suggestions?
Hopwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 21:53   #7
wadhurstdaisy

Hi,

Just to let you know that the mottled area at the top of the windscreen border where I've placed the tag is probably less than 1cm wide.

Hope this is helpful by way of comparison to your screen.

Dave.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 00:32   #8
laundryman
The Engineer

Just back from France. Car behaved faultlessly down & back to the Dordogne. Despite driving the 500 odd miles in a day, I was amazed at how comfortable it was and good I felt at the end.
The best bit was using the LiberT tag. Travelling on Satudays the traffic was heavy especially approaching Paris, with cars 15/20 deep at the Peage. A quick nip into the T lane (usually empty) & straight through. Saved well over an hour overall.
Mounted unit just to the left of the mirror on the tinted glass strip. Worked every time without a problem! No, I dont have a heated screen.
Cheers
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laundryman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 16:55   #9
Beej Webster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopwood View Post
Hi I have been in email conversation with Sanef about where to position the tag on my V60 as there is no mottled area behind the rear view mirror. The City Safety sensor fills that area and I have an electric heated windscreen which stops the sensor working. Their reply was as follows:

The issue will be due to a heat reflective windscreen, the metallic coating on heat reflective screens blocks the signal to toll road tags. The mottled area is always free from metallic coatings, the tag must be placed in there to work.

I can see from the photos you have sent in that Volvo have not left any mottled area available for toll tags, you need to ask your dealer if you have a heat reflective screen.

If you do then you need to ask Volvo where in the car they advise the tag should be positioned so it can be read correctly as they have not left any mottled area available.,

Not a lot of help really, does anyone have any suggestions?
Hi

I have also been in discussion with SANEF regarding my XC60, also with city safe. They have said to mount it on the black plastic trim behind the city safe camera. has anyone else tried this?
Beej Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 15:17   #10
Wandsworthwalker

I've also just bought a tag from sanef tolling uk. They have told me that it will work if stuck on the black plastic rain sensor cover behind the rear view mirror. Has anyone tried this?
Wandsworthwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liber-t, toll tag