Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine starts but will not run

Views : 4847

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 15:48   #11
VolvoS4

After reading this thread from start to end, it appears that you have eliminated spark & fuel problems.

have you tried removing the air filter and then running the engine? a starvation of air will cause the engine to cut out if the engine requires more oxegen that cant be delivered.

VolvoS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 16:27   #12
woolfie1948

Thanks for that suggestion - I will give it a try over the weekend.
I am however now working on the old addage that if something was working and then stops working look at the last thing you touched before it stopped.
The car was running (but pinking badly) and I took the dizzy off and sent it away to be checked. The only other thing I can remember doing was putting new gaskets between the petrol pump and the block, and since then I have changed the pump, inline filter and flexible pipes, and tried without success to run on a gravity feed fuel supply.
That takes me back to the dizzy itself that had the advance/retard curve modified while away. I have substituted all the bits (points, condensor,rotor, cap) I can think of without success. If the timing is so far out as to cause this (set static of course) then I don't think it would start at all.
So now I am begining to suspect the dizzy itself, after-all the engine was running and car driving before it was modified, but I don't know if there is anything inside it that could give these symptoms?
I was going to try to substitute another dizzy but as luck would have it the one I bought on ebay got lost in the post and never arrived so I will have to wait now till after the holidays to contact the people who did the work.
An alternative is if anyone has a known working dizzy they are happy to sell then please make contact.
I am still open to any other suggestions of course.
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 17:18   #13
davidw6092

Default sparks

I would be tempted to run a spare spark plug loose on the top of the engine and see it sparks o.k all the time the engine is running,arm through window to turn key and closely watch spark.Engine will obviously only be running on 3 cylinders,but look to see if the spark dies before the engine stops.i dont know if there is a ballast resistor in the circuit,but a small jump lead to + on the coil from + on the battery will by-pass any ballast and also rule out ignition switch.I have a distrust of rotor arms at the moment,have you an old one to try?Best of luck dave
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 17:44   #14
woolfie1948

Thanks for your suggestions Dave.
Unfotunately engine will not run with all plugs in for more than 1-2 seconds now.
I have tried 3 different rotor arms.
It does have a ballast resistor (the coil is about six months old) but did not change it when I did the coil and to tell the truth not sure how they affect the engine when running.
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 02:13   #15
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I was going to suggest the coil, I've had them gradually die on me before, check it's the right one to be using with a ballast resistor.
I have read somewhere about someone fitting new fuel pump gaskets that were too thick and this held the pump too far away from the camshaft.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 07:25   #16
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
I have read somewhere about someone fitting new fuel pump gaskets that were too thick and this held the pump too far away from the camshaft.
^^That rings a bell with me from the distant past.

I'm no expert on these things but I'm inclined against the dizzy being the cause. It does give enough spark at the right time for the engine to start, albeit only briefly.

Try starting it whilst someone is spraying easy-start in through the carbs. If that keeps it running, it points towards a fuelling issue.

Keep plugging away at it; you'll get there in the end!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 12:12   #17
davidw6092

Default Ballast resistor

If your car does have a ballast resistor in the circuit that would give you the same symptoms you have if it has failed.The ballast resistor is by-passed when turning the key to the start position.Hence trying hot wiring directly to the battery to eliminate that possibility.dave
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 13:01   #18
woolfie1948

Thank you DAVIDW I am happy but baffled!
My engine runs!
How this ballast resistor failed while the car was sitting waiting for the dizzy to come back I do not know - but it must have done!
Thanks again I do not think I would ever have found this without your help and must admit felt very dubious about trying it.
I suppose I now have to find a new ballast resistor or Iseem to have a memory of a vauxhall viva about 30years ago having a faulty coil on a Sunday and the only one available was a non ballast type so the mechanic did something to make it work.
Any suggestions on best way to proceed now appreciated, and my thanks to ALL who responded - it really is a boost to know others are willing to help when you are standing out in a cold garage completely baffled.
Jonathan
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 03:13   #19
940_Turbo

Personally I'd do away with the ballast resistor and fit a 12 volt coil. I'm amazed your car still had one, most of them got removed decades ago.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 09:12   #20
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
Personally I'd do away with the ballast resistor and fit a 12 volt coil. I'm amazed your car still had one, most of them got removed decades ago.
I agree. A good Bosch high performance coil will give a nice big fat spark.