Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine starts but will not run

Views : 4849

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 13:34   #1
woolfie1948

Default Engine starts but will not run

I thought I had solved the problems I was having with the 164 following the dizzy overhaul and was looking forward to seeing if it had solved the pinking problem. I did post that by getting the petrol flowing all was well and engine running.
I went for a drive up to the village but by the time I got there (under 2 miles) I could feel the engine hesitating so parked in the car park. Ten minutes later I came back and it would not start so phoned for SWMBO to bring tools and of course as soon as she arrived it started! There followed a nightmare drive home as every 100 yards the engine cut.
In order to make double sure the electrics were ok I changed points, condensor, rotor arm, and cap.
I still feel it is probably a petrol problem so ordered new pump from Brookhouse and fitted this morning with new petrol pipe from metal pipe to pump and from pump to carbs with new inline filter.
It will now start every time I spin the starter but runs only for 1-2 seconds or sometimes up to 5 seconds then dies. The fuel gauge showed a little above the red but put an extra 5 litres in just to be sure.
Any ideas please?
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 13:48   #2
940_Turbo

Checked the diaphragms in the carbs?
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 14:22   #3
woolfie1948

Thanks but carbs rebuilt by gower and lee not long ago.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 14:32   #4
woolfie1948

Is it possible that they could cause problems so soon, less than 12 months?
Do you think there could be a blockage somewhere in the carbs even with an inline filter in place?
I thought if that was the case it would not start at all.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 18:00   #5
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie1948 View Post
Is it possible that they could cause problems so soon, less than 12 months?
Do you think there could be a blockage somewhere in the carbs even with an inline filter in place?
I thought if that was the case it would not start at all.
It's one of the obvious things to check, and I've seen patten diaphragms fail in under 12 months. With a holed diaphragm the car will start and idle, but it won't rev.

You have to be systematic with this stuff. In essence all it needs is fuel, spark and compession to run. Check each element systematically. Jumping in somewhere in the middle and arbitrarily swapping bits tends to get you into trouble and unnecessary expense.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 18:38   #6
woolfie1948

Thanks for that info. - The car starts but does not idle but I will check them anyway.
If they are ok I would appreciate your opininion on an idea I have just had - to connect a temporary pipe from a can of petrol to the pump and see if it then runs.
The previous owner had a new tank put in July 2009 and I put a new inline filter in when I had the carbs done earlier this year, however it had more muck in than I would have expected today when I changed it, so wonder if they did a second rate job and there is some kind of blockage. Having said that I had no problem today sucking the fuel through the new pump and filter up to the carbs today before trying to start it.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 19:11   #7
940_Turbo

It's possible that there is muck in the tank, or that there is a bit of dirt in a jet or in a float chamber valve. With the air filter off you can see the fuel being drawn out of the jets as you open the throttle. It should look even from carb to carb. The pistons should also lift evenly.

Have you pulled off the fuel cap? One of the other classics is a blocked tank breather. The fuel pump will gradually pull a vacuum in the tank at which point the fuel won't flow. You'll hear a vacuum hiss when you take the cap off after the car has run.

Last edited by 940_Turbo; Dec 22nd, 2011 at 19:14.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 20:21   #8
woolfie1948

I did try taking the filler cap of but still would not run/tick over.
I hope to be given enough time off from my chores tomorrow to check out your other ideas but unfotunately it will not yet run long enough to look at the pistons so need to get to that stage first.
One thing that concerns me a bit is that I could see air bubbles in the petrol in the clear tube that I used when sucking petrol through the pump when I first put it on.
Thanks again for your interest.
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:04   #9
arcturus
arcturus

If you think it's fuel, and air bubles? Yes, try a can with gravity feed. It is possible for a new condensor to fail. It gives the symptoms of fuel starvation. Good luck.
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:33   #10
woolfie1948

Just been out and connected clear pipe from can of fresh 97 octane petrol to carbs and no difference - runs for a second or two then dies. I tried this around 10 times just to be sure petrol was coming through ok.
Taken top off both carbs and can see no problem with diaphrams and pistons moving freely.
I put in new (from Brookhouse) condensor last week - I suppose I could go out and get another locally but seems like a very long shot.
Any ideas what to try next please.