Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking at 144s Good buy?

Views : 4875

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 16:37   #41
marcmarel

An easy and safe method to remove this type of windshield is to cut at least 60 3x4 pieces of thin steel plate, like 1 mm, and wedge these between the metal and the rubber from the inside, all the way around (won't work at the big wide bottom edge, leave that).
Starting from the top corners, push the glass out with your feet. The glass will slide out with no effort at all.
The big vacuum handles that glass fitters use are nice to have.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 19:52   #42
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmarel View Post
An easy and safe method to remove this type of windshield is to cut at least 60 3x4 pieces of thin steel plate, like 1 mm, and wedge these between the metal and the rubber from the inside, all the way around (won't work at the big wide bottom edge, leave that).
Starting from the top corners, push the glass out with your feet. The glass will slide out with no effort at all.
The big vacuum handles that glass fitters use are nice to have.
You know Marc, looking back over the thread and scoping the snaps that arcturus has posted makes me wonder; the trim fitted to both front AND rear looks just like the front trim on my '71 144; however MY car definitely had rubber windscreen seal for the rear (bonded for the front), and the reason I remember it was that the stainless steel trim (on the rear) was separate from the rubber - on the bonded screens the s/s trim and rubber were all in one.

Now if this is the case then the trim is fastened down onto the clips which are embedded in the goop used to bond the screen in place and is, in fact, cosmetic, the weather sealing of the screen being handled by the aforementioned goop; what's your opinion?

Hth, C.A.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 22:30   #43
marcmarel

For the 140 there are at least 2 different windshields, one in rubber with trim held by the rubber too, and one bonded with the trim on steel spring clips that are in the window sill (rust prone). This was carried over to the 240. Later the 240 got the separate 'one piece' trim that is attached on to plastic clips that hook around the windshield (neat solution).
This 240 trim is also found on 140's, probably updated with windshield replacement, leakage problems, etc. I've got one of those on my 144, the trim looks exactly like the 'in rubber' trim, same width, material (I think it's anodized aluminium) and center linking clip.

Rear window has always been in rubber on the 140 and 240 sedan.

I think arcturus' car still has the original windshield in rubber. Should ask him really. Look at the pictures of the steering wheel, you can see the thick rubber at the bottom of the windshield. Bonded screens have a plastic cover there.

His car really is a peach. It looks like it survived effortlessly.

By the way, I would solve the leakage with some sort of rubber/tar caulk, like the original (which has hardened and shrunk by now). I use the stuff made to stop leaks in roofs, rubberized asfalt. Fill up a big syringe (no needle) and fill the empty spaces under the rubber untill it flows out. Don't use silicone on cars.

Last edited by marcmarel; Oct 30th, 2010 at 22:47.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcmarel For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 08:57   #44
arcturus
arcturus

Hi, the screen is definitley non bonded. The reason I will be removing it is that previous attempts to stop the leaking have left the interior side quite messy. Also as I am having a complete respray it will be a chance to examine the framework for corrosion. I will probably do the same with the rear window. I'm willing to take the chance of a new screen. BTW the car is a peach excelent mechanichal condition. The previous owner was a member of the Portuguese vetern volvo club and looked after it. Lots of new parts, Konis for example,bags of power.Its too easy to make the back step out on roundabouts!(not that I want to)
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 08:43   #45
arcturus
arcturus

BTW. My 20B engine has the "fixed" fan. Would it be any problem to convert to viscous whilst the engine is out? Don't want to mess about with electric. Another thing, there's no sound insulation on the underside of the hood, was that normal?

Last edited by arcturus; Nov 2nd, 2010 at 08:46.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 14:02   #46
arcturus
arcturus

Default Work in progress

Well, it's looking a bit sorry for it'self. things allways look worse before they get better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 144work prog 001 (2).jpg (98.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 144work prog 002 (2).jpg (143.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 144work prog 004 (3).jpg (134.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 144work prog 005 (2).jpg (124.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 144work prog 006 (2).jpg (163.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 144work prog 007 (2).jpg (183.1 KB, 7 views)
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 14:12   #47
arcturus
arcturus

one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 144work prog 002 (3).jpg (175.9 KB, 7 views)