Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine hesitation?

Views : 761

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2014, 06:53   #1
nucnik

Question Engine hesitation?

Just got sent here from your American counterparts, so I'm hoping I can get some urgent info

I'm venturing into first gen S40 ownership, and I would like some info regarding the engines in these cars. Now, the cars I'm looking at are dirt cheap, so I don't expect perfection, but there was one thing I noticed when testing two separate - 1.8 and 2.0 petrol - cars, with 135k and 125k miles respectively.

Both ran smoothly and quietly, with no signs of problems, but both hit a brick wall at just over 4000 rpm. I didn't push them all the way to the redline, but it felt like they were really struggling for every rpm above that, completely losing power and getting louder & harsher than before.

Is this normal for these engines?
nucnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 07:18   #2
Gazzer83
Gazzer

Default Hesitation

No this is not normal. I had this on my car and it was the crank sensor. Is the engine mangement kight on when you go to start the emgine and then goes out as soon as it starts. Check the state of the air filter, These car do not light a dirty filter. I change mine every 6 months.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 08:03   #3
nucnik

There was nothing out of the ordinary, unless the "check engine" light went out as well. Is the crank sensor an expensive fix?
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 12:49   #4
Gazzer83
Gazzer

Default Crank sensor

The sensor is cheap enough £34, but changing it took me about 2 hrs start to finish and i have all the required tools and experience to do the job myself.
If you have a small amount of ability and access to tools it is time consuming but not difficult.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 13:07   #5
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Firstly I would check to see if the engines have been correctly serviced, as a bad fuel or air filter can cause a lag in reaching full power.

Another possibility is that both cars have blocked CAT's and because they are expensive to replace, some folks then sell such cars.

If it is not poor servicing or blocked CAT's, then it would be a good idea to get the hidden fault codes checked, as there are quite a number of other potential causes, including a dirty MAF or other sensor.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 20:39   #6
nucnik

Well, I've just bought the 2.0 S40, so I guess I'll figure out what's wrong

One thing I did notice was the engine revved more freely on the longer drive home, after I gave is some gas, so maybe it was just a bit sleepy. The fuel usage also seems low enough to make the cats and exhaust seem improbable. Even got the average below 7 l/100 km on an easy stretch. 8.4 now.

Did develop louder and more noticeable vibrations above 5000 rpm, though, so that's something new. It was shaking and grunting quite a bit.

Anywho, I'll make a proper introduction once I get the car cleaned and take some pictures, but thanks for all the info so far!

Tags
engine, s40