Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trying to decide between models

Views : 3983

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 12:24   #1
Will2222

Default Trying to decide between models

New here and trying to decide on what model to get. I'm looking at either a 2.0 D4 R design Lux nav or a 2.4 D5 SE Lux nav but I'm also torn between manual and auto.

I have drove the auto and to be fair I wasn't too impressed with it. As autos go it was a bit slow to change and didn't really know what was the best gear to be in.

I usually go for manuals but then they have nearly been cars, at the moment I have a VW CC with 178bhp TDi and I have driven a 2.4 D4 SE Lux but I'm going to try get a drive in a manual.

What are the pluses and minuses with both models? If I do order one it will be with the winter pack, panoramic roof, keyless, 20" wheels and some other options.

I'm no boy racer but I do like to have power when needed. Also I prefer the front of the R design but the rear of the SE so is it possible to change the rear of the R design to the SE and sitting in both I prefer the seats in the R design I think from the short time I was sitting in it in the showroom. Decisions decisions!

Thanks in advance.
Will2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 12:39   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

not a lot of similarity between the models - one is FWD and the other is AWD and hat is before you choose auto or manual. The D5 has a very good 6 speed auto box, the d4 has an even better 8 speed auto box.

very different to give a comparison as other than the body shell there are so many differences - but that the art of car sales

My view is that the D5 engine with the AWD give an excellent ride and the economy isnt that different given the additional power that you get with the d5 - and it is a known, reliable engine - whereas the d4 does seem to be having a few issues these days.

Last edited by wimorrison; Nov 3rd, 2015 at 12:41.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 12:43   #3
Warkman

I can only comment from my own perspective.
I looked at the D5 SE Lux and the D4 (5Cyl) R Design Lux, both in automatic.
TBH I had no problems whatsoever with the gear boxes, smooth and changed at the right time, both quick to pick up and relaxing in town traffic
I eventually went for (and surprising myself) w2ith the R Design Lux.
The reason was that the seats felt more comfortable than the SE Lux!
The Se Lux seats seemed short and being a large gentleman, I felt I was sitting on the edges. the R design which I expected to be worse with the shaped bolsters, actually was more comfortable!

Cant speak about manuals, I wont drive one tbh
Warkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 13:09   #4
Kev78

I was in a similar position and chose the D5 manual.

The auto felt dated in the D5 and I prefer this type of car with AWD.

Don't regret my decision and love the car so far.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 13:18   #5
Will2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warkman View Post
I can only comment from my own perspective.
I looked at the D5 SE Lux and the D4 (5Cyl) R Design Lux, both in automatic.
TBH I had no problems whatsoever with the gear boxes, smooth and changed at the right time, both quick to pick up and relaxing in town traffic
I eventually went for (and surprising myself) w2ith the R Design Lux.
The reason was that the seats felt more comfortable than the SE Lux!
The Se Lux seats seemed short and being a large gentleman, I felt I was sitting on the edges. the R design which I expected to be worse with the shaped bolsters, actually was more comfortable!

Cant speak about manuals, I wont drive one tbh
I'm fairly large as well and that was also what I found with the seats, with the R design it felt as though I was sitting in the seat as opposed to setting on the seat of the SE seats.

As for the auto box I will have to have to give it another go but to me it felt like an old school auto. I didn't know they had different auto boxes and the salesman didn't say there was a difference but he was more interested in the car I was driving(my brothers) than he was in selling a car. I will try a different dealer next time.

I have read that the 2.0 D4 is smoother than the 2.4 5 cylinder engines.
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 13:38   #6
Kev78

Last edited by Kev78; Nov 3rd, 2015 at 13:38. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 14:05   #7
mordred1973

I am biased.....the D5 suits the car so well....

slightly rough at low revs, sounds great at higher revs, adds huge character to the car, has enough go (just)
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 14:07   #8
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2222 View Post
I'm fairly large as well and that was also what I found with the seats, with the R design it felt as though I was sitting in the seat as opposed to setting on the seat of the SE seats.

As for the auto box I will have to have to give it another go but to me it felt like an old school auto. I didn't know they had different auto boxes and the salesman didn't say there was a difference but he was more interested in the car I was driving(my brothers) than he was in selling a car. I will try a different dealer next time.

I have read that the 2.0 D4 is smoother than the 2.4 5 cylinder engines.
First choose your dealer. Then decide if you need AWD or FWD. Auto or manual is a personal choice, but be aware the new 8-speed box has longer legs than the older 6-speed box. One specific point. Do you really need 20" wheels ? The cost of these would pay for more interesting options if your budget is fixed. They look nice, but the ride can be compromised, tyre replacements are more expensive and there is an increased risk of kerbing. It depends where you will be driving.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 14:08   #9
emjga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
whereas the d4 does seem to be having a few issues these days.
I would echo the D4 issues EGR Valves / Cooler problems.
If I had known then what I know now not sure I would have bought a D4
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 15:18   #10
Will2222

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't really need 4WD, the 20" wheels I think look better. Budget wise I'm not fixed on an amount.

My neighbour had a D5 V50 that sounded like my old Audi S2 albeit a little rougher but I think he had a SS exhaust on it but you could really tell it was a 5 cylinder engine.

Other options I would consider is the active suspension and definitely I will get the active high beam.