Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Diesel Conundrum

Views : 2712

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2017, 08:50   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

That balancing is another headache im talking about massive amounts of extra tera watts
That needs to be generated green? solarpanels? and distributed ? garanteed baseload?
Hydropower is such a small percentage and the balancing part even smaller
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 08:59   #12
Oil Burner

Many thanks for the replies and a Happy New Year to all.

Some very interesting points have been raised in this discussion, especially regarding hydro lakes. Never knew that.

I personally was just concerned with new car choice. I will leave 'brand' out of this and just keep to the 'technology'.

It seems that Diesel is the 'in thing' with car manufacturers and I have no real preference to Diesel or Petrol. The car gets me from A to B and thats all I care about.
I know that modern Petrol cars have their issues, but Diesels are leading the tables with their amount of 'problems' notably DPF's, DMF's

People seem to be sold these cars on poor advise, from the dealers and also with the notion of 'cheap motoring' i.e. more mpg and less road tax and to be honest thats all the modern 'consumeristic' society is after, something for nothing or as cheap as possible.

But they are oblivious to the 'potential' costs involved. People buy cars for their own reasons, mainly as a means of transport, but more so today it is 'brand image' and not what I actually 'need' the car to do i.e. a practical choice on vehicle size, specification and usage.

Anyway, I am rambling off topic now.

I was just trying to gauge opinion on taking the Diesel Risk, or go back to Petrol.

A nice V40 T2 would suit me perfectly, but I also have reservations about the engines. The older V40 petrols will be variations on the Ford EcoBoost I believe and the new ones will be Volvo's in house new power unit, of which little has been written reliability wise as they are so new.

My next MOT test will be in August this year, and I have no reason to expect my S60 to fail on anything significant, but this does leave me with several months to gather more information on the subject in order to make the right choice of newer car.
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Burner For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 09:08   #13
5cilinder
Premier Member

But why change cars if this one is good? changing cars always costs money
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 18:35   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Hydropower is such a small percentage and the balancing part even smaller
Depends on where you are.

In my current country of residence hydro is 56% and nuclear is 54%

I laugh at all the greenies driving around in their 54% nuclear-powered electric vehicles
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 18:57   #15
5cilinder
Premier Member

Yes locally hydro can be very big and its a good thing its being used . but globally its a very small percentage
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 22:10   #16
Desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Yes locally hydro can be very big and its a good thing its being used . but globally its a very small percentage
Think of V2G though, now that is a huge amount of storage to balance the grid, decarbonize transport and improve city air quality, win win win.

I think it will happen faster than a lot of us expect.

Desp
Desperate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 22:43   #17
Scooser

I have a 58 plate MY09 V70 D5 with only 48k miles

I've driven it from new and average 5-6k miles per year.

I don't have DPF problems and in 8 years had the soot filter warning messsage up twice, which was sorted by a subsequent blast along the motorway.

So no problems with DPF and low mileage for me
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 22:47   #18
Scooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would try the new petrol turbo engines , With just about all new engines being GDI now Mpg is not too far from Diesels . GDI injects petrol directly into the combustion chamber just like a diesel and compression ratios 13:1 very close to modern Diesels .
Amazing really as diesel has an unfair advantage, as the energy density of diesel is 15% greater than petrol
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 03:53   #19
xco
Premier Member

Seems the only crime our diesels commit chaps is emissions. ....surely some bright spark can come up with a better idea than the dpf or at least a more efficient version of it.

My 185 D5 falls in the £500.00 road tax band and only gives me 32 mpg average on a run and having come from an MY04 V70 D5 163 which returned 52 mpg average on a run is nearly half....but I would be very upset to have to get rid of it as it has been very good in the 2 years I've owned it and I like it very much.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 09:32   #20
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

If you have dosh to spare, get a diesel hybrid. They do have a DPF, but are a lot less problematic in terms of oil contamination. Some stop-start diesels are also OK, IF they have a more modern DPF that uses a seperate injector or cleaner fluid. Also make sure you get a good extended warranty that includes a new DPF.
If you do have the sense to buy another diesel, the pre heat burner option is a good one, as it heats the engine up, which is good in main block wear terms AND keeps the DPF clean.

I don't like driving around with a fuel tank that has flammable petrol in it, as cars can catch fire in a bad crash.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote