Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to 240s, need you knowledge!

Views : 706

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 14:45   #1
Classico

Default New to 240s, need you knowledge!

After doing a couple of hundred miles i have some questions for this knowledgeable forum, if i may.

1.- Blower. Works ok in all 4 speeds but when switch off it still seems to be blowing air. It is like roar noise but somehow louder. Is that normal?

2.- yesterday, when pressure washing the car, I got a poodle in the front passenger footwell. Seems to come directly from above the knee ventilation area. Wonder if it is related to point 1. No water ingress on heavy rain though.

3.- Clutch goes like silk, it is very soft and easy with no slippage or judder. Maybe i am too acustomed to harder clutches. Is it normally so soft in 240s?

4.- Planning to do a full service next week. My to do list is:
- timing belt, water pump and new refrigerant. Auxiliary belts if needed
- exhaust soldering. It blows a little somewhere
- oils and filters
- brake inspection
- check all underneath for rust and oil seepage
Car has 160.000 miles and no maintanance records apart from engine oil, plugs , tie rods and pads some 3 years ago. Is there anything else i'm missing

5.- Also doing interior and exterior detailing and getting rid of solar check on back doors and rear glass, a bit concerned about damage to resistance heater though. Any bad experience in this regard, should i remove back doors film only?

Sorry about so many questions and thanks in advance for your help
Classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 16:50   #2
dan 244
Master Member

If the car doesn’t have ac, it will have an air mix slider, that if cold selected it will take air from outside and will come out of the middle two vents. Also it will have air vents from outside to the footwells sort of behind the bottom of the front wings, they should have a leaver to open and close them. Water can come in through them, as the water from the scuttle panel drains around the back of them, you need to check that it drains away, as if debris is blocking the drains it ends up in the footwell.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 18:24   #3
Classico

Thanks Dan.
I forgot to mention that it has aircon
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 18:33   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

[QUOTE=Classico;2376540] when pressure washing the car, I got a poodle in the front passenger footwell.

Sorry, but I really can't resist this one.
Poodles love water, so that is a really good test to see whether you are getting any inside the car.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 20:16   #5
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post
Thanks Dan.
I forgot to mention that it has aircon
I did think maybe it did have due to where you are. I have only ever seen 1 240 in the uk with ac.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 04:26   #6
DW42

The roaring could be the fan clutch -- not the interior blower. I believe that when the fan clutch dies it either gets stuck all the way on and sucks in far too much air, which may be coming into the cabin via the fresh air vents. Or else they get stuck on low and the car overheats.

Here's a thread from Volvo Forums on the topic: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...tch-bad-43973/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 08:07   #7
Classico

Thanks for the hint DW42.

The roar increases with speed and sometimes disappear.
Also the temperature never reaches half way, stays just above a third. Could very well be stuck open I’ll check fan when off to see if it moves too freely.

I’ll be doing time belt, pump and thermostat next week so i’ll change fan clutch as well while there if so.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 16:09   #8
BrianH
VOC Member

Default Classio boil it!

When you have the thermofan off. Find the the centre of the spring at the centre, take a screw driver and see if the centre pin rotates. If not try to free it.
I have boilded these in hot water to free them. If you see oil its no good.
Keep it lubricated its very exposed!
The thermostat is the first to change though.

BrianH 560,000 miles 245 GL 1989 LPG
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 13:21   #9
Classico

I’ve been today in the workshop where I intend to service the car.
Went for a ride with the foreman to asess what is needed. Regarding the roar noise he tells me it comes from the gear level linkage, apparently there is a sound deadening spounge, which is missing, to insulate against road roar coming that way.
He also saw that the steering pump is misaligned making the belt going somehow slightly twisted, strange thing!