Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 106747

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 22:18   #21
johnbV70

Hi Don,

This ETM cannot be rocket science - Magnetti Morelli built it !

Does anyone know how the ETM actually work. Has anyone taken theirs apart. I suspect there is very little inside and we are all being ripped off big time.

If a clean of mine doesnt work (which I suspect it wont) then Im prepared to give it a go if someone can feed me some info. Do we have any contacts at Magnetti Morelli - they need spewed over in this as well.

here is what is happening me if you know of anyone that can help:

My car is a late 2000 V70 2.4 (140 hp) non turbo petrol, faults all started at about 90k miles on the clock and am now at 102k.

when started from cold, the car runs rough and will not rev above 1000 rpm, even if trotlle pushed down all the way. When turned off and immediately back on all is fine and no problems until the next cold start. Ive noticed that when cold if I only turn on the ignition (to II on the switch) then off and then start the car everything is fine. The problem is getting worse the colder the weather gets i.e. in summer no problem then intermittent towards autumn and now every cold start is a problem so the whole thing seems ambient temperature related.
Independent workshop running Volvo’s diagnostics indicates internal fault with throttle body but no more clues. Im not convinced given that the car runs perfectly otherwise. The cruise control quit in Spring in case that means anything.

Volvo UK didnt want to know and had no real interest in helping either. Talk about customer support at it's worst. Ive a good mind to get onto Volvo Sweden directly.

We need to create a stir in the motoring press based on fact that Volvo US recognising the problem but UK being treated unfairly. I write for magazines in N Ireland and am only too glad to help as these people need taught that it is totally unreasonable for the way they are behaving. Guess who will never be buying any sort of Volvo again. Above is just some of a string of issues Ive had.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 22:45   #22
Colvo

Having done a quick search on Google I have come across this thread which makes very interesting reading. My C70 T5 has been "lumpy" for some time now, especially in cruise. At the last service, 72000, my Independant Dealer did not think there was a problem. However 1500 mile later whilst overtaking a lorry this evening the ETS light came on and power was reduced somewhat alarmingly ( vehicles coming in the opposite direction) fortunately it would still go up to 4000 rpm, but it then felt as though a restrictor had been fitted. I only had 4 mile to get home and power was certainly lacking at all revs. Additionally the cruise would no longer function. Got home, turned it off, after some very fluctuating revs at idle, restarted and ETS light now off!!
I got out my owners manual and had a quick check and as you know the solution is "Switch off the ignition and start the engine again, if the lamp is still on contact your Volvo dealer to have the car checked." Were they aware of the problem when the manual was written?

I have a friend who had had his bits replaced after experiencing the no more than 10 mph mode.

Please add my name to any list that may be sent to Volvo, BBC etc..

I await further speed fluctuations, could be exciting on a motorway.

Last edited by Colvo; Jan 6th, 2006 at 22:49.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:32   #23
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default see tech details of the ETM problem

Hi John

Have a look at Don's site, he has put all the technical details of the problem with photos & diagrams on his website see http://home.comcast.net/~donwillson/tech_info.html

In summary....to quote Don - "The final failure mode for the Volvo Electronic Throttle Module, made by Magneti Marelli in Italy and used on 1999, 2000 and 2001, 70 and 80 series Volvos, is the wearing out of the resistor film on the two throttle butterfly position potentiometers.

The time to failure is determined by the repetitive movement of the potentiometer wiper across the softer thick film resistor. Thus, in-town stop and go driving with many throttle movements per mile will wear out the potentiometer film faster than long distance driving with few throttle movements per mile".

Dons Conclusions:
The construction of this potentiometer is obviously not suitable for the application. Considering that in the life of the car there will be multiple millions of cycles of the throttle, the action of the hard metallic finger tips riding on the soft thick film carbon resistor element is a designed-in shortcoming that will result in an estimated 100% or more, failure rate in the life of the Volvo automobile.

Owners of 1999, 2000, 2001 volvos are all seeing the problem manifest itself round about now - my Nov 2000 C70 ETM went at 96K miles in Nov 2005. Mine is an Auto and looking at Dons diagnosis, I wonder if manuals will wear slightly quicker than autos as the throttle is possibly used less ?

I am also awaiting a reply from a written letter that included all details of how the US extended the warranty to 200k miles asking for a refund from Volvo UK and the main dealer who charged me £645.00 to replace my failed Magneti Marelli ETM.

I have also posted a link to Dons site and brief description on the BBC's TopGear website - www.topgear.com - would be great if Clarkson told the nations volvo drivers about the problem in his new series, that might prompt some action from volvo UK, especially as Volvo will be hoping current C70 owners will be tempted to trade up to the new Mk2.

Last edited by scoffbelly; Jan 8th, 2006 at 19:54.
scoffbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 16:29   #24
PunkDebutante

After a 3 day long battle between Marshall Volvo, Volvo UK and me, Volvo UK has stated that they have no intention of footing any of the bill and have never done so for any Volvo client out of warranty. They admit the ETM failure and are telling me that if I do not pay the £742 my car will not run. Also, I paid Volvo £150 for a thermostat replacement last week which was apparently the first fault code to appear after the ETM failure (and it is apparently Volvo's policy to treat the first fault code only and then take it from there). So in the last month, I have paid out £1400 for a car that I have lost complete faith in.

I think the real downfall is that there is no third party in the UK to force a recall or product investigation like there is in the US. Volvo UK is taking the **** with its consumers and they obviously care more about the American market than they do the UK market. I guess we must have more money to pay for ingrained faults that lie with Volvo than the US clients do.

I will never own another Volvo again. Their customer service is appalling and I have every intention of voicing my opinion loudly to anyone that will hear. I bought Volvo due to their reputation for being a safe and reliable car and they are neither. Volvo UK has made it abundantly clear that my safety and that of my children isn't important simply because I chose to live in the UK versus North America. Shame on you Volvo.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 23:57   #25
nickdirtyd

Exclamation ETM - Expected To Malfunction

It seems at 90k miles my dads ETM was in the veteran years of its life... However when *PAYING* a visit to the local volvo dealer to replace the part we were welcomed with the always exciting phrase. Hello Mr Brown it seems we have a 'little' problem. The replacement ETM we have recieved is also faulty. Faulty you say? Yes faulty, the data that has to be installed... well it just wont install. So is this another common problem with the ETM? No not really a common problem but we recieve a few. Oh OK so do you have more than one in stock? Yes however one is currently being fitted. : ) and the other it would unfortunately appear is also damaged. We were actually told at the fitting centre by a mechanic that the fault is extremely common (hmmm well it almost went unnoticed).
What I would really like to know is, are these parts still being fitted to current models of Volvo cars rolling off production?
If so does this mean Volvo are producing and selling cars which they know are not suitably fit for their intended purpose.
I think my dads experience justifys his name being included 3 times!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 20:38   #26
setjett5
setjett5

Default Lts Lights

Hi,
I have just spent over £250 trying to find out what was causing this all to no avail I,m kicking myself for not checking out the site first,I have a 1999 V reg and its done 53,400 and I have had this problem for about six weeks now,the fact I live in Jersey and being up and down the gear box as you do in a small island explains why it,s happened so soon.I have come across a site where they say they can remanufacture the ETM,it,s called BBA-reman.com based in Kent,anyone know of them?
setjett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 22:52   #27
AGB

I have a 2000 Volvo V70 T5 and the diagnostic indicated a faulty ETM. Volvo UK weren't interested in the USA situation, the customer mis-service rep. stated it wasn't the same component as used there and they would contact owners if they thought it to be necessary! Faced with a car that was dangerous to drive it needed to be repaired.
The Volvo dealers quote was £380 for the ETM, 2 hours @ £80/hr, software download @ £25 (all + VAT) = £665. However I also found that BBA-reman.com offered a remanufacturing service. They charged £250 and repaired the unit in 24 hours. The car seems to run OK and I recommend them to anyone who may need this service.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 13:53   #28
volvo2
Master Member

Hi

Do you know if the repair is to the same specification, i.e. will again fail prematurely. I wrote to them asking this and received no reply.

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 20:19   #29
ian_w

Just had my ETM replaced today at the main dealers under a used car warranty. Was expecting to have to kick up a bit of a stink as I saw a bill for £600 on the desk but the guy just gave me my key back and said everything was covered.

I had previously mentioned about the US 'recall' and got the std "they are different in the US" answer.

I have seen BBA selling on EBay, they charge £150 for a recon.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-Marelli-...QQcmdZViewItem
ian_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 21:55   #30
sierraman

Angry Another Unfortunate Volvo Owner

Hi

I have a Volvo v70 classic 140 which was first registered on 28/04/2000. Having owned the car for only a month i have been advised that it is now showing the first symptoms of etm failure. My only hope is that a "strip down and clean" may delay replacement for a while!
What a joke.This "Luxury"car has only done 83000 miles and it appears that it is going to cost me nearly £700 to rectify a manufacturing defect! How are Volvo being allowed to get away with this and is'nt it Ford who are ultimately responseable?

I have always wanted a Volvo and it is the most expensive and most luxurious car that i have ever owned. Someone who buys this type of car expects to receive a higher class of service and be treated with respect. I recently phoned THREE Volvo dealers and all THREE were unable to let me speak to someone inorder for me to book my car in for a service+ belts etc etc. All 3 promised to get someone to phone me back but didn't (and this was before i learned about my etm problems)This whole situation is a disgrace.

It appears to me after only a month of Volvo ownership that i have made a costly mistake. Volvo should be falling over backwards to remedy this situation and they urgently need to sort the dealers out as well.

So please put my name is on the list to ensure that Volvo treat uk buyers of their cars fairly.
sierraman is offline   Reply With Quote