Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Car UK Policy on ETM Replacement

Views : 42252

Replies : 212

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:24   #21
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Keep going Wardair - don't be put off by Savanamans protestations.

If you manage to get a lot of accurate, truthful information and find a powerful source that is prepared to sustain and publicize the issue to arouse the interest of the general public, then Volvo (unless they have a desire to go broke) must address the issue sooner or later.

These big firms (and remember Volvo is now bigger for being owned by Ford) only respond to a sustained campaign - not the odd pin-prick coming from incensed, individual owners.

If you gather enough information, then some car magazines may even start to take notice.

Every effort must be made to push Volvo into becoming defensive, and shedding the offensive gung-ho response they favour at present.

Best of luck - and keep on believing it is only a matter of time before Volvo is brought to heel by the sustained pressure applied by people like yourself.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 22:12   #22
setjett5
setjett5

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardair View Post
Dear Forum member,

Having seen many threads posted regarding the ETM failures I felt it would be appropriate to request some data regarding how this is being managed by Volvo Car UK and their dealer network.

I would therefore like all forum members who have had their ETM replaced to submit a short post to register this giving date and what if any contribution Volvo Car UK offered towards the cost of replacement. Actual costs incurred would also be useful to assertain if pricing policy has changed.

Please also provide basic car data as follows:-

Model, Mileage, Service History and length of ownership.

I intend to collate this data and if as I suspect it shows that Volvo Car UK have been somewhat evasive on this issue (allowing some customers to pay in full for replacement if they are unaware of the issue or not made a fuss) or actually have a policy that results in customers being treated in an inconsistent manner then I will submit the data to BBC Watchdog in an effort to get the matter raised again and everyone treated fairly.

Please advise any other forum members who you know have had an ETM failure.

Many thanks

Wardair
Hi,
I had my V70T5,V Reg.Oct 99 done about 6 months ago at Jacksons Volvo dealers in Jersey.cost £635.Volvo uk refused to give me any discount on the grounds I had not put it in for a service when due but I had done only about a 1,000 miles in it since the previous service,I have a company vehicle and I was trying to use the Volvo as little as possible as I intended to take it to South Africa on retiring but not much chance of me doing that now.Hugh
setjett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:19   #23
V70driver

Hi Wardair,
I previously posted a reply about this situation. I spoke to Volvo UK some months ago, cannot remember the persons name. He concluded that the threads on this forum are scare mongering and that I should not pay any attention to them. When I mentioned that it was not just a couple of threads there was/is a huge amount of activity regarding the issue, he changed his tone. In the end he said he would write to me to offer a free upgrade/inspection of my ETM. Needless to say I am still waiting for the invite. I have also spoken to my local main dealer who at first had the same attitude and added that the probable reason why the ETM's are failing is beacause the current owners do not look after their cars, do not have them properly serviced by Volvo and have exhorbitant mileage. I reiterated what I said to Volvo UK and again the attitude changed.
For your records, I have had my V70 2.4 Classic for about 5 months and have had no problems It came with a full Volvo service record with every service bang on time. There are no references to the ETM in any record of the cars history. It had just had its 66,000 mile service when I bought it so the next one is 78,000 when I shall get the cam belt done too. As this is important I am seriously thinking of having this done at my main dealer. I appreciate Jod's very kind advise that I should have a go, but I know I just do not have the know how or ability to perform this on such a car, I wish I did. (Thanks Jod)
Will be happy to keep you updated should, God forbid, I do get any problems with my ETM
Good luck.
V70 driver
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 17:47   #24
Wardair

Thank you - Volgrrr, setjett5 and V70driver for your encouragement and inputs.

I have been travelling extensively for over two weeks so only just back on the case.

My C70 T5 is going back to the dealer tomorrow. The throttle action is highly suspect since the ETM replacement (my wife is complaining about hesitancy in the cruise, like it is beng switched off and on). The car also will not rev above 4000 rpm (the rev limiter cuts in).

Volvo Car UK have not had the decency to reply to my letters/faxes so it looks like I need to raise the bar with another letter and copy this one to various journals/BBC etc etc.

Regarding Ford (Volvo parent) they are in real trouble financially (currently selling Aston Martin) and this situation must have a bearing on the way these issues are being handled.

Unfortunately of course the new owner is now peddling Ford/Volvo hybrids as Volvos - the new C70 is based on a Focus and the new Ford has a Volvo engine. I can't help feeling that the Volvo company I once admired has gone forever.

Thanks again

Wardair
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 17:59   #25
gjb71

WARDAIR,

you can add me to the list of etm probs. its not gone yet but the idle is on the go, reving up and down by approx 500rpms. took it to my local volvo dealer stratstone in oldham. service guy was very helpful, put it on diagnostics (£25) and told me yes it was the etm at fault and quoted £632 for a replacement.

mines a t5 2001 94k on the clock, full service history.

he tried the corporate response when i asked him if there was a prob with this part (no probs known) , but when informed of a bit of background knowledge via www he backed down a bit and told me to contact volvo about the issue and he would do the same on my behalf, to see if they would stand the cost of the clean up option or contribute to the replacement part.

this i've yet to do.

power to the people
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 18:28   #26
stoatsngroats

Default ETM on a V70 Classic...?

I'm surprised that this is fitted to a 1997-2000 V7, i thought it was only on the new shape.?

Could someone please clarify this, as my 143,000 ml classic hasn't had ant reference to this being attended to throughout the SH...?

Thx

SnG

SC 802 BULB CHANGE
stoatsngroats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 18:35   #27
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoatsngroats View Post
I'm surprised that this is fitted to a 1997-2000 V7, i thought it was only on the new shape.?

Could someone please clarify this, as my 143,000 ml classic hasn't had ant reference to this being attended to throughout the SH...?

Thx

SnG
I don't think yours is a ME7 though,

Gary.

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 19:10   #28
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoatsngroats View Post

Thx

SnG

Problem only affects later '98 on petrol cars with fly by wire throttle, your car will have a cable throttle and is not affected.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 14:12   #29
maxheavy

Hi,I have a s60 2.0T 2002,65000 miles.
it has the etm problem,i called volvo customer services,they said take it to main dealer,I took it there this morning,they charged me £35.30 to tell me I needed a new ETM, a manifold clean and software update,total cost £930.00,,ouch,
called customer services again they offered to pay a good will gesture of 20%.
I am going to send them a letter including some extracts from the vexed volvo site and see if I can get them to pay more,even if I need to send them a writ.
lets hope and see
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 15:22   #30
lovebuthatem

Default ETM Oh B*!!*R this is going to cost me..

V70 2.4T 2000 119K
Bought 6 months ago at 112k.

Has developed sometimes irratic throttle on idle, hunting to 1200rpm then dropping to almost stall. Has stalled on hitting slow traffic after fast run, then lit up PERFOMANCE REDUCED, subsequently problem disappeared. Occasionally drops out of cruise when selecting +.

Have it serviced by good independent but took to Volvo Dealer with the problem, they cleaned and reseated Exhaust sensor, said there were no error codes shown. But 2 months later problem still there. I have put up with it

Having read this thread and also the info on VexedVolvo would be 99.9% sure its the ETM. Am now going to contact Volvo dealer again, anyone have any tips on approach? Anyone sent the stuff on Don Willson's site to Volvo UK?

Brief update: Contacted Volvo Dealer, they went away to consult, came back to fone and asked me to call VCUK Customer Services because they weren't sure what to advise me.

It went like this-

VC UK: Hello this is ***** How can I help you?
Me: Hello ******, I have a [car details] that is exhibiting all the signs of early ETM failure, I have been told to call you by my local dealer, I know that there has been a problem with this part on these cars and VCUSA has extended warranty to 200k, I would like to know how VCUK are dealing with matters.
VC UK: The Stateside warranty extension situation would not be known by UK Volvo dealer.
Me: I realised that, I said, but given that Volvo coproration has a problem on this part, I want to know what VCUK position is.
VC UK: Book the car into your dealer, there is a FOC clean and software upgrade, up to 200k mls ,if that is diagnosed as the problem on your car.
Me: Thank you, That's all very well but I can't see a clean and software upgrade repairing worn out carbon strips on the potentiometer.
VC UK: Diagnosing the problem and making corrective actions are the responsibility of your Volvo dealer.
Me: Understood, but what if the wear on these parts means that your dealer will be effecting a repair that is at best temporary and very likely to result in customer disatisfaction in a short period of time?
VC UK: The dealer should contact us in the event that the above corrective actions are thought to be inadequate.
Me: Oh good, is there a service note reference I can quote? Only the dealers service department didn't seem aware of the procedure.
VC UK: No sir, there are policies the dealer can refer to, they will know where to access them.

Hmm for some reason I wasn't thanked for calling VC UK.

Anyone interested in the next bit? Any predictions? Post a reply if you want to hear the next outcome....

Last edited by lovebuthatem; Nov 15th, 2006 at 16:51. Reason: updated information