Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic Throttle Control Inspection - what a fiasco

Views : 5088

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 20:54   #1
slender

Default Electronic Throttle Control Inspection - what a fiasco

A few weeks ago I received a letter from Volvo advising me that my 2001 S80 may be affected by recent throttle control issues and that I should contact my local dealer for software to be downloaded, the etm to be cleaned and, going from memory, the crankcase to be cleaned. I duly booked my car in to my local dealer and it went in today.

Having dropped it off nice and early, at 8am, I proceeded to ring the dealer at 1.30pm to see if it was ready. A polite lady informed me that it should be ready at 2,30pm but would definetly be ready at 3pm. That was perfect and I duly returned to the dealer at 3pm to collect it. The Service Receptionist went and got my car and brought it to the front of the dealership. I enquired if all was well with it and was assured that it was fine, no problems at all. Imagine my surprise when I put the key in the ignition and immediately an engine/emission warning notice appeared. I walked back and informed the Service Receptionist who apologised and took it away. A few minutes later it was returned to me with an explanation that cleaning fluid residue could have caused a rogue error code and that it had been cleaned and was now fine. Off I went again, and, guess what, the same message appeared again. Back I went to the Service Receptionist who took it away again. After about 20 mins I noticed the receptionist was back at his desk and on the phone. It was immediately apparent that he was discussing my car with Volvo UK. It transpires that my car that went in running perfectly well, was attended to exactly as Volvo UK stipulated, never got so much as an inch off the dealership before the warning message appeared, now needs a new electronic throttle module - the very fault it went in to rectify before it became a problem....and Volvo UK are so far refusing to take responsibility and pay the £600+ bill that now looms! Even the Service Receptionist, who has batted hard on my behalf, is rather surprised at this stance. Volvo UK have quizzed me through him as to how long I have owned the car (3 years), whether I had it from new (no) and apparently this is to create a goodwill payment case. I have since rung Volvo UK to discuss the issue with them and was told I would be rung be back. Four hours later and no return call.

I would be fascinated to hear if anybody else has met with any similar issues.
slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 00:39   #2
Oli
VOC Member

What a maddening turn of events.

I've been complaining to the dealer from which I bough my car just over a year ago of an intermittent problem that causes erratic idle and stalling, since buying the car. Problem was though that it was random and didn't happen that often. Anyway, at the last service the software for the ETM and something else was updated (at a cost of 50 pence I might add), with the claim that this would sort the problem out once and for all.

Since then the fuel consumption has increased by about 1mpg (5%), the car is more sluggish, and the problem is now occurring again. Will be ringing the dealer tomorrow. I want the unit replaced now, and as I reported the fault many times whilst still under warranty, will be making it clear who I think will be responsible for the cost.

Have a read through this very long thread for a long list of posters with similar problems:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=us+etm

Best of luck with getting Volvo to pay. By the way, the action to upgrade the software is being taken on the back of an investigation by VOSA into the issue. Nobody in this forum believes that the action of replacing software is enough. The root cause is in the design and failure of the ETM. You may wish to write to VOSA about your experience of their agreed corrective action.

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:58   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Slender:
You booked your car in to a Volvo Main dealer to rectify an issue that Volvo UK have identified.
You did so in good faith, on the basis that your car would be "repaired" by the main dealer who carried out work as per Volvo UK's instructions.
Your car is now faulty as a direct result of work/repairs/upgrades you were advised were required by the UK importer: Volvo UK.

You see a common train of though appearing here?
As Oli has correctly pointed out, there is a seperate (and very long I might add) Topic on issue relating to ETM's.
Not withstanding the issues and concerns raised there, you have done what you were told to do and now your car doesn't work.

This issue, in my opinion, lies solely with Volvo UK.
Keep your initial contact letter with the instruction.
Keep a log of events.
Log your calls to both you main dealer AND to Volvo UK and the replies/information/response you get.
If need be contact your CAB and maybe even you MP.
Tell Volvo UK, in no uncertain terms, that you will be persuing this through legal avenues.
Advise whoever you speak to that you want all work required to get your car back on the road and working correctly - as it was prior to this fiasco - paid for by Volvo UK.
Get a supervisor or manager to tell this to.
Advise them in the strongest terms possible of the sequence of events, emphasising the fact that it was the initial letter/instruction from Volvo UK that initiated this event and set of circumstances.
Tell them you want satisfaction within 24 hours of your call so the main dealer can release the car to you, working (etc) and that the dealer is fully compensated for any and all work, and you are compensated for any inconvienience and out of pocket expences.

If that doesn't get you somewhere, I'll go look for a hat...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:27   #4
volvo2
Master Member

Slender,

Yes, I agree with Oli. This is disgraceful! Please describe what has happened to VOSA. The contact is Jeffrey Sweeting. (e-mail: Jeffrey.Sweeting@vosa.gov.uk)

I am now having second thoughts about the software upgrade.

M Smith
volvo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 00:05   #5
slender

Default Into battle

Thanks for your replies and advice, folks.

Basically the dealer contacted me this morning to advise that the technical report they ran at Volvo UK's request confirmed what they knew yesterday - the electronic throttle module is now broken following the work done to the car by them at Volvo UK's direction. Volvo UK are still refusing to pay ANYTHING towards this. I have rung them twice and they have failed to ring me back twice. It really is very poor. The dealer has been excellent and I have no axe to grind with them. Just before I collected the car they again rang Volvo UK to attempt to get some reimbursement for me. Sadly, they failed. As a goodwill gesture they knocked 10% off the bill. I have paid them as they have done everything asked of them and I do not want to alienate them. I am now in possession of the faulty part and a receipt for a £515 bill.

So, tomorrow I shall contact Volvo UK again and will speak to someone to make them clearly aware of the timeline of events and how I will be robustly pursuing this matter using all avenues open to me.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 00:33   #6
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your - continued - difficulties..

Make sure you document everything that has happened up to this point.
Make a call to Volvo UK again - and insist on holding or speaking to whoever they try to put you through their manager, and their manager if not available.
Time the call - if is an expence - if you don't get itemised bills.

Visit or call your local CAB and your local Trading Standards and initiate action with both.

I can understand your appreciation of your local dealer, and it seems that they have done nothing wrong. It again points to Volvo UK and their beligerence on this issue (and I think this may come from Volvos masters - fud)...

And the best of luck too...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:36   #7
slender

Default Volvo UK finally answer the phone!

I've just come off the phone after a calm, constructive, conversation with a pleasant lady at Volvo UK. She has heard my concerns, updated Volvo UK records which say my car has not been near a dealership since 2003 - wrong, it was serviced at a main dealer in 2004 and recalled/MOT'd in 2005 at a main dealer - and will now speak to her manager about this. I've stressed that the car was fine before it went in and that the fault occurred immediately after the recall work was done and never moved an inch. She seemed surprised to hear that I had immediately paid the £515 bill. I pointed out that I could not afford to be without my car, like most of the population, and had no axe to grind with the dealership who had been efficient in rectifying matters. So, now I wait. If I'm honest. I'm not hopeful that the manager who has consistently refused any financial assistance at the request of the dealership is going to budge an inch for me.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. Such a shame that ownership of a well-maintained, beautiful car, is blighted by an unsavoury incident such as this by a respectable manufacturer who trades on safety and responsibility.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:15   #8
volvo2
Master Member

I have been trying to convince VOSA that there is a problem. Why not at least let VOSA know of Volvo's poor behaviour?
volvo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:45   #9
slender

Default Vosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2
I have been trying to convince VOSA that there is a problem. Why not at least let VOSA know of Volvo's poor behaviour?
I will do. I'd rather present a full case in due course rather than a piece-meal story. Whatever happens I will post here for the benefit of all.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 14:43   #10
slender

Quote:
Originally Posted by slender
I've just come off the phone after a calm, constructive, conversation with a pleasant lady at Volvo UK. She has heard my concerns, updated Volvo UK records which say my car has not been near a dealership since 2003 - wrong, it was serviced at a main dealer in 2004 and recalled/MOT'd in 2005 at a main dealer - and will now speak to her manager about this. I've stressed that the car was fine before it went in and that the fault occurred immediately after the recall work was done and never moved an inch. She seemed surprised to hear that I had immediately paid the £515 bill. I pointed out that I could not afford to be without my car, like most of the population, and had no axe to grind with the dealership who had been efficient in rectifying matters. So, now I wait. If I'm honest. I'm not hopeful that the manager who has consistently refused any financial assistance at the request of the dealership is going to budge an inch for me.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. Such a shame that ownership of a well-maintained, beautiful car, is blighted by an unsavoury incident such as this by a respectable manufacturer who trades on safety and responsibility.
Volvo UK failed for the third time to ring me back resulting in me ringing them again this morning. They are still refusing to budge an inch but have agreed to reconsider a goodwill payment upon receipt of proof of maintainance. I have had one service done outside of the dealer network (although it was done with Volvo parts and by a Volvo trained technican with full access to VADIS. I am not hopeful of an about turn but have obviously got to take every step as necessary and give Volvo UK every opportunity to reconsider upon provision of new documentary proof of responsible ownership.