Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Picked up and washed the new car

Views : 1633

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2013, 16:26   #1
smeems

Default Picked up and washed the new car

Well, mentioned on another thread I picked the car up yesterday.

Really liking it and getting a surprising amount of people stopping to talk about the car, seems its a hit with others too! Strangely more people have spoken to me about this car today than our restored classic mini!

Before collecting the car I had asked them not to wash it, I didn't want any additional swirl marks or scratches being washed into the car... dealer was a bit taken aback by the request but I explained I love to wash cars (its a hobby/obsession/gets me out of the house) and I'd rather reduce the risk of any more imperfections on our new car....

Now all cars come from the manufacturer with some amount of swirling, they'll be washed at some stage before delivery to the dealer and mine shows a slight but definitely within reason bit of swirls but nothing to worry about, I can correct it next year. - you might gather I find cleaning cars a bit of an obsession!

So this morning, after picking the car up last night, it sat soaked after a downpour and I figured bo**ocks I wont get to wax it but then the sun came out, it was time to run out and give it a wash and wax.

I gave it a quick snowfoam, more out of habbit than necessity then washed and dried before applying a coat of fk1000p all over. The car was bought to help hide swirls and scratches (what I cant easily see I can easily ignore!) but trying to wax a white car is a challenge when the wax is transparent!

Anyway the photos, sorry if they look bad this monitor is not geared up to editing photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8103.JPG (291.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8104.JPG (266.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8109.JPG (199.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8106.JPG (239.1 KB, 117 views)
smeems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 17:08   #2
Brodick
Master Member

Looking very smart indeed. Congratulations on your new baby

I saw a new V60 in white the other day and didn't like it but
the V40 does seem to suit it.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 19:13   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

You are better with spray sealants on white in my view owing to the above. Technically if yo are good enough you should not see wax or paste sealant on any colour.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 21:27   #4
smeems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
You are better with spray sealants on white in my view owing to the above. Technically if yo are good enough you should not see wax or paste sealant on any colour.
I thought the spray might be the way to go but I only had the fp to hand and I love it, mind, I love it because I hate sprays on dark cars. Once this coat runs out (hopefully should last a good few months) I'll look at some g2 or similar

As for white, its a bit of a marmite colour but I really liked the v40 in white so went with it.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 22:20   #5
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Looks lovely

Nice to see that even the D2 in R-Design has 2 pipes at the rear.

Some interior pics would alse be very nice
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 14:21   #6
smeems

Well a week in and 600 miles later its time for a bit of an update (which will try to update at points in future).

Driving and performance
The car is really nice to drive, the power is more than adequate but it is never going to set land speed records.

Overtaking is more a case of passing than hoofing it and pulling back in. The car is very well suited to the life of commuting, ie good around town and good on the motorway.

Steering is good, it doesn't feel remote and is nicely weighted... you at least know which way the wheels are pointing and turn in is good. Handling is also good, much better than you could hope for in a car of this class. If you are wanting a go-kart this car is not for you and it seems pointless to comment on sporty handling.

So far I managed an average MPG of 56 combined, hopefully this will improve over time but the real time trip stats is a great tool to see average mpg either per minute or 10 minute segment.

The controls are very easy to use but not the best for ergonomics. They are not difficult in any way to figure out but there are some interesting quirks that take too many button presses - eg to turn off voice guidance on Nav but there could well be hidden shortcuts yet to be discovered by me.

Driving position/comfort
There is no doubt the car is very comfortable but I am finding getting used to the seats is taking a while - I will caveat this as it always takes me a long time to get comfy. I have a twisted pelvis/displaced hip so I don't sit naturally square. Also cars with so many adjustments always take a while to find the right position.

There is enough adjustment in both seat and sterring rake/reach to suit anyone though I am finding the r design seats sometimes a little intrusive with the leg bolsters. Again, its about taking time to adjust.

Road noise has been mentioned by the press, I find it no better and no worse than others. Having previously owned a Jag XJ I have been spoilt as they were whisper quite with no noise intrusion, in the v40 you are aware of some surface noise but it is more than acceptable and doesn't cause intrusion to conversation or cause discomfort.

Cabin

Personally I haven't noticed any wind noise - get that out of the way first. The cabin is a very nice place to be. We have the mood lighting (not sure if standard) and its a nice feature to change colours. Quality and fit is very good.

Audio

We don't have the top spec but middle spec audio and it is bloody good, really good in fact. You wont win a sound off at the local McDonnalds but the quality is certainly there to hear. I don't have an iDevice/pod/whatever so use the USB for MP3s and it is very easy to use.

The DAB and FM radio is also very good, and the added EQ settings mean you can really get the sound style you are after but remember it isn't a £30000 top line system, its just a bloody good factory fit.

It is annoying that I cannot change to my preset radio stations when using the sat nav (unless I use the wheel controls to skip up down). I sometimes want to go from preset 1 to 9, perhaps this is user error and more reading of the manual required.

Sat Nav
Very good system and really like the route avoidance for any traffic alerts. I like how the voice doesn't cut out the background radio/music but simply reduces its sound level.

However, the route avoidance can be very annoying too. Perhaps a user education issue but it just blocks the whole view until you click accept change or cancel.

Route planning is interesting at times too, such as the other day the A420 between Oxford and Swindon simply was not chosen by any of the 3 options (fast, easy or shortest). It kept trying to take me off the 420 down the country back roads. Again satnav is really only an aid to getting you there and this system is really good (just as I know the 420 it was interesting to test it out vs local knowledge) - this is a quirk of all systems but overall this is a very easy to use system.

Voice Control/Telephone
The voice system is bloody good. Really good, it actually has a unique difference from all others I have used.... it works and it understands my northern tone.

Voice number dialling is very good, recognises the word double, triple for numbers making life easier - though I am anti use of phone whilst driving it is there and it works.

The best thing about the system is that the person on the other end of the line cannot tell you are on a car phone. It is very clear and the same as having it hand held (based on feedback and my test). This was whilst doing 70 on the motorway with rain... it wont be used much as I said I don't believe in even using hands free when driving but nice to test out.

Boot space
Its more than big enough even for a family. The issue is as all cars have got bigger so have all the crap a family believes it "needs" when taking kids out. It accommodates our travel system and bags, it can fit both our dogs (Dalmatian, Springer), it can fit a load of work gear, I folded the seats and moved furniture. Its got enough space but if not, there is the roof loading system.

Conclusion
One week in and very happy. Love the looks and the feel of the car. Hope to see mpg improve with time and obviously need to sort my seat out but I am nearly there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smeems For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 00:08   #7
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeems View Post
Well a week in and 600 miles later its time for a bit of an update (which will try to update at points in future).
Great write up on your V40xx but some readers who have not read your previous threads will not know what model your are referring to.........