Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

is this etm fault

Views : 8283

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2011, 15:33   #21
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTV70 View Post
The problematic ETM's were all Magnetti Marelli.(Approx 1999-2001).....on a 2002 wouldn't it be a Bosch unit.?..which were not a problem.
If that's the case I'd look elsewhere.!..MAF sensor.?
Ideally..get the codes read.!

Neil
My S60 has the Bosch unit on it, but did have an uneven tick over and eventually illuminate the management light!
When I took it off (a pretty straight forward job), there was a small amount of crud in there. So a good clean using carburettor cleaner and an old toothbrush, soon had it running correctly and extinguished the management light too.
It wasn't especially dirty, but I think the main issue was probably the crud around the edge of the butterfly!
Old May 5th, 2011, 16:03   #22
littonlad

Default Can I get an opinion please?

I have a 2000 V70 that has what I think is the ETM problem. It's a Marinelli ETM with a white sticker so I don't believe it's been replaced at all.
I get the ETM light on 'only' when the car is in D(drive) and I'm either pulling away slowly or stuck in slow moving traffic at that speed where the auto box can't quite make it's mind up whether to change down or not. When it's on the engine exhibits what I'd call rapid hunting. Sometimes the engine management light will come on, sometimes not. Either way if I stop, switch off, then start again the ETM clears and the car runs fine again till it happens next time. A battery disconnect clears the engine management light.
To circumvent the problem I've taken to driving it like a semi-auto. Instead of using D(drive) all the time I pull away in 3, then change up to 4 and D when necessary. When slowing down I drop it back to 4 and/or 3. It seems to work for me, but I'd like to get the problem fixed once and for all.
Also, I've seen several for sale on fleabay at various prices. One guy is saying that the one he has for sale is 'plug and play', ie for my car/year no programming is necessary. Is this likely to be true?
Any advice most gratefully received.
John
littonlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 16:48   #23
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Have you tried cleaning the "butterflies" as a first step.?..get rid of all the carbon/crud build up.!
(do a search on here to see)
You certainly have the "problematic" ETM (Marelli)..and as far as I know you either replace it..or get it refurbed...either will cost at least £300..more for the replacement I guess as I understand they have increased in price recently. BBA Re-manufacturing will refurb it for you.
It HAS to be "married/programmed" to your specific car if you replace it like for like (main dealer or Volvo Indy) ..if you refurb, it doesn't. ('cos it's the same one being put back).
Have a read of the ETM problems history on here and you will get a good idea of the situation.

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.

Last edited by RUTV70; May 5th, 2011 at 16:51.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 19:21   #24
littonlad

Thanks Neil,

I've looked at the butterflies without taking the unit off the car and they look pretty clean, but I will get it off and give them a going over anyway.

I've been in touch with BBA also and they want £35 to test the unit, if it's faulty then £150 plus vat & postage to repair (but that then includes the test fee), so that seems fairly reasonable if it comes to it. Turn round time will be around a week in total by the sounds of it.

Fingers crossed.........
Old May 5th, 2011, 19:43   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

sounds a good service , why cant volvo uk do this , use BBA to recondition exchange units that volvo supply them ?
Old May 5th, 2011, 20:12   #26
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by littonlad View Post
Thanks Neil,

I've looked at the butterflies without taking the unit off the car and they look pretty clean, but I will get it off and give them a going over anyway.

I've been in touch with BBA also and they want £35 to test the unit, if it's faulty then £150 plus vat & postage to repair (but that then includes the test fee), so that seems fairly reasonable if it comes to it. Turn round time will be around a week in total by the sounds of it.

Fingers crossed.........

good luck, mate..at least it's all "do-able".!!
Let us know how ya get on in the end.

Neil

760 auto...loved it.
Old May 5th, 2011, 21:03   #27
mikealder
VOC Member

Having used the bba service I couldn't fault it, at the price they are quoting it's a bargain, get the fault codes read from the car to confirm it's the ETM rather than the throttle posn transmitter then get the ETM fixed if the codes confirm what's wrong, you get a two year warranty from bba thrown in as well - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:24   #28
littonlad

ETM will be posted to BBA on Monday. Hopefully should have it back by Friday.
I'll update as and when.
The Following User Says Thank You to littonlad For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2011, 18:10   #29
littonlad

Getting it off by the way was a right 'bu**er', the cable was routed behind the starter motor. 2 dislocated wrists and several scratches to my forearms later I managed to remove the starter motor bracket without either taking out the fan or the manifold off. 2 small 10mm nuts and 1 12mm bolt.
Old May 7th, 2011, 19:29   #30
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by littonlad View Post
Getting it off by the way was a right 'bu**er', the cable was routed behind the starter motor. 2 dislocated wrists and several scratches to my forearms later I managed to remove the starter motor bracket without either taking out the fan or the manifold off. 2 small 10mm nuts and 1 12mm bolt.

MUST be a turbo...thankfully mine's not and much easier to "get at".

Neil

760 auto...loved it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RUTV70 For This Useful Post: