Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA EGR Problems

Views : 18131

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2015, 17:41   #1
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Default D4 VEA EGR Problems

Hi All,

Just out of interest how many of the D4 V40 owners have suffered with EGR valve or EGR related problems?

Interestingly our D4 started with just over 14K on the clock going into limp mode, EGR related issues where the cooler had failed all pipework and valve replaced.

I know we have had the XC60 owners but I am uncertain as to how many we have seen in the V40?
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 17:55   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

If it's the same engine, it'll have the same inherent fault regardless of what model it's fitted to.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 16:33   #3
Panther22

Mine had the EGR replacement on the last service. My post is a few down from this one. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=236158

However since its been done the engine maintanance warning notification comes on in the sencus display panel, which im sure is related to another EGR problem. The car is booked in for some other work (upgrades i have ordered) so i will get them to check the EGR then and will post the outcome on these forums.

Car was fine for a few weeks after the EGR replacemnt and tbh I cant tell there is a problem other than the warnining notification im now gettting. No limp mode has showed up.

Last edited by Panther22; Oct 2nd, 2015 at 16:40.
Panther22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 17:56   #4
Brodick
Master Member

Just over 6 months in. Just over 5500miles and no issues
Long may it continue.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 06:26   #5
volvo for ever
Premier Member

if youve had egr and cooler renewed no doubt you will be back in for same job s this isnt a cure not yet ,temp fix only ,,the new cooler being fitted are blocking up aswell....this is happening on all models
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 11:04   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
if youve had egr and cooler renewed no doubt you will be back in for same job s this isnt a cure not yet ,temp fix only ,,the new cooler being fitted are blocking up aswell....this is happening on all models
It's not a hardware problem , there are cars out there which have been fine .. Renault use a very similar U shaped cooler . It is vital the software is kept up to date , it seems to be updated at least once a month at the moment ! The EGR is being used about 70% more of the time than the euro 5 models to comply with euro 6 . There is a flap which can by pass the cooler so maybe they are trying to use this function more . The EGR valve has been improved which has helped a lot .
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 15:31   #7
chiptivo
Premier Member

They should go back to reliable ford blocks rather than these Chinese owned units.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 15:52   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
They should go back to reliable ford blocks rather than these Chinese owned units.
The block looks very similar to the volvo ones used in the S/V40 petrol engines . This is nothing to do with china :-) In my opinion FORD ruined the D5 block in 2008 when they modified it to make it in the Bridgend Factoy !
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 15:47   #9
ACSU

Unhappy D4 EGR Valve

My V40 was new Sept 14 on a 64 plate, problem came after 6-7000 miles, warning light then limp mode. EGR/Cooler/Software all replaced. EGR & Cooler replaced a further two times to the point I was driving around with a Data recorder that filled the back seat. Problem got so bad that Volvo purchased the car back in April 2015. Interesting point is that we have another one at work on a 15 plate that has gone to 10'000 miles before the problem has shown, so it isn't fixed as yet !!!
ACSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 16:00   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It's not a hardware problem , there are cars out there which have been fine ..
I don't think we can say what the problem is with any certainty. My 'Check Engine' light came on last Thursday and the EGR valve was replaced yesterday. Speaking with the dealer they indicated that they have had many D4s with the problem - they were replacing 5 EGR valves yesterday alone.

They also said they have Volvo data loggers installed in a number of cars which have required multiple EGR valve replacements, and that Volvo do not currently have a permanent fix.
techwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote