Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 S80 ETM issues & screenshots

Views : 2478

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 14:38   #1
PhillB

Default 2001 S80 ETM issues & screenshots

Hi, This post is predominately for Lukas, or infact anyone who may be able to help.
Had the ETM rebuilt by the main man named above, fantastic turn around and excellent workmanship. Even beyond what was required as he also sorted out the poor wiring id managed to create.

Anyhow yes he is good

I have refitted the etm, and it ran good for two days. Yesterday it started playing up again. Seemingly random being cold or warm, missing badly at idle then touch the throttle, bam, 3k rpm. Then it starts its fluctuating between 2k and 3k rpm for 4 or 5 cycles, before settling down to a rough idle. Will not rev beyond 3.5k ish.
No errors stored when scanned with VIDA.
The thing im most pleased about is, it went wrong whilst VIDA was connected!
Upon switching off and back on again it runs fine. Ive managed to grab screen shots of VIDA whilst the engine was running like this. I shall attach them to this post. Hopefully.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s80 when running bad at idle.jpg (57.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg s80 at full throttle when running bad.jpg (58.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg s80 after switch off and restart idling.jpg (57.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg s80 2k rpm.jpg (57.9 KB, 24 views)
PhillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 01:00   #2
spokoluzik
Trader

Hi
Thanks for posting screenshots. It helped me to give you few suggestions.
Seems like butterfly doesn't move at all regardless to engine revs.
It could be caused by several things.
1. Throttle body circuit board get fried. It could be intermittent at the beggininig and was ok on bench but after couple of days went out completely. (Can't avoid that)
2. Etm mechanically can't close completely on start and ecu doesn't find 0 angle then throttle body can't be activated. If that's the case something may block butterfly.
3. Earth connection is bad or battery voltage supply is too low. In this case again throttle body won't be activated and will stay on 27ish degrees.
All you need to do is simple check.
Ignition pos II
Disconnect TB and reconnect it back.
It should shut itself for couple of sec and then should make kind of buzzing noise.
If it try to close but just clicks and not buzzing after you can check earth and power supply with multimeter.
Then check for physical blockage.
If throttle body stays quiet and doesn't move after you reconnect cable probably it's 1st option, but it's with checking everything on bench again.
Let me know once you run tests on it.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 11:37   #3
PhillB

Hi and thanks for the reply

I'll get onto those tests right away.

Incidentally are there any tests i should do when its experiencing fail conditions and running bad?
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 13:19   #4
PhillB

Hello again,

Right first round of tests complete. I even filmed the throttle body.

Test 1.

Initial conditions.
Throttle plate slightly open at power off.

Ign switch to pos2.
Reconnected ETM at its multi-plug.

Initial click as throttle plate shut abruptly, followed by a high pitched tone/whine (sounds similar to stepper motors) accompanied by the throttle plate "twitching".
This lasted for about 10 or so seconds, after which the throttle plate sprung back to slightly open.
Operating throttle pedal did not operate the throttle plate after the throttle plate closes back up.
Indicated battery voltage 12.1v at multi plug, and at front engine bay power terminal & also at battery.
Earthing 0.2ohm resistance.

Test 2.
Connected 16amp battery charger to provide a good power source to run systems.
Initial conditions as before.
Ign to pos2.
Initial click as before, followed by the high pitch tone/whine & throttle plate "twitching".
This condition now continued indefinitely.
Operating throttle pedal now operates throttle plate.

Left battery to charge at 2 amps.

Will conduct tests again once battery has had time to charge.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 14:34   #5
PhillB

Right, Day 2....

Apologies in advance, this is a bit long winded but id prefer to get every detail down to help diagnosis.

Battery was charged over night and sitting at 13.1v after disconnecting from charger and resting for an hour.

Re-fitted, and started car.
Ran ok so popped out on errand. During the return trip at about 70mph it started slowing down, no response from throttle. Crawled back at 15mph (lots of hills).

No warning on dash, no lights, nothing.

Very rough idle, touch throttle and it starts its revving up and down for 4 or 5 cycles, before returning to rough idle.

Connected VIDA and the DiCE. DiCE no longer works. Not happy.

Checked battery voltage 13.9/14.0 at battery & engine bay terminal.

Cycled ignition switch, pausing for the ETM to do its 15 second click and whine. Then restarted. Ran ok for 30 seconds then reved up by its self and started running rough, touch throttle, rev up and down as its usual problem.

Cycled engine start again. Immediately ran badly. Switched off.

Warnings on dash and engine check light now illuminated.

Left for few mins, ign to pos2, no sound or click from ETM.
Off.
Pos2, again no click or whine from ETM.
Off
Pos2, click and whine, let it do its thing, then started. Ran well for 4 mins, so started tapping throttle, rev it a few times to 3k rpm. Slight miss develops from 2.5k rpm upwards (inline with how it runs when its gone wrong), lift off and it carries on revving up and down then rough idle.
Off
Pos 2 no click or whine.
Off
Pos2 click and whine, started within 2 seconds. Ran ok for 10 secs, then failure as above, again.
Off
Pos2 click and whine, started. Within 70-80 secs it started running rough, Unplugged ETM whilst running, no change.
Unplugged AFM, no change.
Reconnected AFM, no change.
Reconnected ETM click and whine engine revs dropped, almost stalled, then returned to normal smooth running idle.
Revved engine, slow response, then missing develops, then carried on with revving up and down as per normal failure condition.

Im pretty screwed now as my DiCE has died.
It started flashing its self test light and wont do anything else. No comms or anything.

Im up the creek here, please Help!
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 14:51   #6
PhillB

The problem has deteriorated further, the car will run from cold for about 20 or so mins, then this etm problem occurs.
then it keeps on re-occurring each restart and is repeatable.

I don't know what to do now. the S80 is due road tax and mot in july and it certainly wont pass the way it is.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 15:08   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillB View Post
The problem has deteriorated further, the car will run from cold for about 20 or so mins, then this etm problem occurs.
then it keeps on re-occurring each restart and is repeatable.

I don't know what to do now. the S80 is due road tax and mot in july and it certainly wont pass the way it is.
Time for a New ETM i am afraid :-)
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 16:27   #8
PhillB

Does it look like its the ETM for sure?
I was hoping the repair would work and hadn't banked on it failing.
Which i guess means the dealers, which would mean £378 i was quoted on top of the etm repair. i really am at a loss with this vehicle.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 16:31   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillB View Post
Does it look like its the ETM for sure?
I was hoping the repair would work and hadn't banked on it failing.
Which i guess means the dealers, which would mean £378 i was quoted on top of the etm repair. i really am at a loss with this vehicle.
The price of the ETM has been up and down the last 5 years or so , as volvo get new batches made i guess , but the most recent price earlier this year was about £200 , make sure you are being quoted the proper retail price .
It will need programming , so you could fit it outside the dealer then crawl in on idle and let them do the software which shouldnt cost more than 20 mins labour .
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 13:10   #10
PhillB

Well, just to cap this thread off, i managed to find an independent willing to sell me a new ETM without the core charge, £225 delivered.
Also got a local independent to program up the new ETM for £40 (after i fitted it on their forecort to save an additional £65!!)
After about 20 or so miles the car is now running very well, initially it was a bit odd and not easy to drive, must have been re-learning the new throttle positions etc.
But yes, now it is fine and dandy.
Plus point is its doing an additional 5 mpg too.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhillB For This Useful Post: