Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic Throttle Control Inspection - what a fiasco

Views : 5046

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 00:54   #21
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Not really the most acceptable of resolutions. Better than a poke in the eye, but not by much...
Particularly when you have to buy a new car within the next 12 months...

I am surprised by the recommendation from TS though.
It is TS taking manufacturers to court because of issues like that (which are ultimately down to a badly made item) for and on behalf of consumers...
Given the mounting evidence that is already available on this maybe TS have lost their teeth??

God luck with whatever you decide on this...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:24   #22
slender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Not really the most acceptable of resolutions. Better than a poke in the eye, but not by much...
Particularly when you have to buy a new car within the next 12 months...

I am surprised by the recommendation from TS though.
It is TS taking manufacturers to court because of issues like that (which are ultimately down to a badly made item) for and on behalf of consumers...
Given the mounting evidence that is already available on this maybe TS have lost their teeth??

God luck with whatever you decide on this...

Des. . .
I fully agree with you, Des. I'm sure Trading Standards have my best interests at heart and I have been impressed with the way they handled the case. They were always quick and efficient writing on my behalf and always contacted me siftly with any updates or in response to my communications to them. They really were adamant that to go to Court would be a waste of my money and that I would lose based.

Anyway, whilst it is annoying it doesn't really cause much of a ripple in this great ocean we call life. And if Volvo seriously think I'm going to be forced into spending a few thousand to get back a few hundred they are seriously misguided. What is more likely to happen is I will remember this incident, the initial complete refusal to assist, the effort it has taken to get this far, and then buy another marque when I finally change my car. If Volvo continue to treat the majority of their customers in this way they can look forward to becoming another unprofitable division within the crumbling Ford empire.
slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 14:16   #23
Muscas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I fully agree with you, Des. I'm sure Trading Standards have my best interests at heart and I have been impressed with the way they handled the case. They were always quick and efficient writing on my behalf and always contacted me siftly with any updates or in response to my communications to them. They really were adamant that to go to Court would be a waste of my money and that I would lose based.

Anyway, whilst it is annoying it doesn't really cause much of a ripple in this great ocean we call life. And if Volvo seriously think I'm going to be forced into spending a few thousand to get back a few hundred they are seriously misguided. What is more likely to happen is I will remember this incident, the initial complete refusal to assist, the effort it has taken to get this far, and then buy another marque when I finally change my car. If Volvo continue to treat the majority of their customers in this way they can look forward to becoming another unprofitable division within the crumbling Ford empire.
Vote with your feet and move on !
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 21:19   #24
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by slender
If Volvo continue to treat the majority of their customers in this way they can look forward to becoming another unprofitable division within the crumbling Ford empire.
Thanks
Yes, I quite agree with you and the conclussion you arrive at...
Whilst I am saddeddned to lose a Volvo fan, you are not wrong in going elsewhere for the service, reliability and quality we normally expect from Volvo.

I think this is a result of fud now being in charge.
So you can give jaguar a miss too in your new car hunt..
An overall sad state of affairs...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 16:04   #25
slender

Default The final chapter

Well, I gave it one last shot and sent Volvo a letter suggesting that to meet in the middle with no strings attached would be the fairest solution to this matter. I pointed out that they may have to reimburse me £400 if I did buy another Volvo in the next 12 months or they may not. I also intimated that reimbursing me an extra £150 now could go a huge way to keeping a good customer of a number of years standing. I wasn't greatly surprised when the suggestion was categorically rejected and a firm line drawn under the offer by Volvo. I have accepted the offer made but written back to make them fully aware that whilst I have accepted I am not happy and will think long and hard before I buy any product from the Ford automotive stable. I'm sure this will not worry them too much but they really are heading for a huge fall if they continue to treat customers in this way. I enjoy driving my Volvo car but I have ceased to enjoy being a Volvo customer. I have no intentions of cutting my nose to spite my face but I cannot be sure if the attributes that attracted me to Volvo ownership in the first place are sufficient enough to keep my long term loyalty. A used Lexus has never looked so good and I know from my fathers experience of owning a used Lexus that customer care is exemplary. Customer care and reliability, that's a combination that looks hard to beat right now.
slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 05:12   #26
Zota

Default ETM Failure

Slender,
As I have an S70 with this problem I have read your posts.
In your earlier post you said they cleaned the ETM.
If they cleaned the potentiometer track that is what probably put it over the cliff. If they cleaned it they probably wiped the last of the damaged part of the carbon track away and you now have a total failure.

A new etm if they have new ones, is your only hope.

Barry
Zota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 08:14   #27
Oli
VOC Member

I think it's the crankcase ventilation that is cleaned, as to clean the ETM would require a few hours of labour, and once you've got the unit out to clean it, then it would be more cost effective to put a new one in, although there must now be a finite number of these available - would be interesting to know how many, as again, if the stock is high compared to other key components of the car, then that's further evidence of a bad unit/design and an action to lower thier guilt.

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 08:15   #28
Oli
VOC Member

Posted twice by mistake
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 13:17   #29
Muscas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I think it's the crankcase ventilation that is cleaned, as to clean the ETM would require a few hours of labour, and once you've got the unit out to clean it, then it would be more cost effective to put a new one in, although there must now be a finite number of these available - would be interesting to know how many, as again, if the stock is high compared to other key components of the car, then that's further evidence of a bad unit/design and an action to lower thier guilt.

Oli
I agree, it is highly unlikely they cleaned the tracks as the ETM is a sealed unit.

Patrick
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote