Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission oil change cost

Views : 12973

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2022, 23:50   #61
Quaffwine

Oh dear!!

I saw your troubles in a couple of earlier posts. Absolute rubbish really, yet still I’m fully hopeful of getting a good 200k out of my D5 before I think about giving up. Haven’t parted with much cash yet at least (79k miles)

I had a look at the aisin website and yes it does look like they recommend it. I toe occasionally but v little mileage wise so it’s difficult to say.

I find when I do tow it’s either about 800kg or nearly 2t so perhaps I really ought to as the small miles done are on highland single passing place roads….

I will ask at my Scottish dealer next week and update.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 01:31   #62
neilgorin

Any point changing the oil on a manual?

Mine (v60 D4 2019) has just hit 90k.

I cracked open the filler plug, oil seep from it suggests it's full and the oil was clean. I've never bothered before on any manual unless it played up. Box feels no different to when the car had 50 miles on it.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 23:06   #63
Volvocano

Unlike autos manuals don't have clutch packs or anything else that is expected to wear to the point of contaminating oil. I'd only change manual transmission fluid if the car was driven through deep water regularly.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvocano For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 00:01   #64
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
Any point changing the oil on a manual?

Mine (v60 D4 2019) has just hit 90k.

I cracked open the filler plug, oil seep from it suggests it's full and the oil was clean. I've never bothered before on any manual unless it played up. Box feels no different to when the car had 50 miles on it.
With a manual the oil is there simply to lube, it doesn't get contaminated by combustion or the red hot to stone cold factor so unless it's leaking it's best left alone, it also never goes near the clutch unless there is a leak, hth.

With dual clutch as Cano mentions the oil provides hydraulic assistance and cooling to the clutches in them if they're wet clutch boxes, a dry clutch dual clutch are known to overheat and warp the plates, hth.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote