Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 P3 Bonnet latch sensor fault

Views : 708

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 18:00   #1
hindol

Default V70 P3 Bonnet latch sensor fault

Funny old world, just had car in a Somerset dealer needed a new sensor, on collecting the car told sensor on bonnet latch had failed and fitting a new one was £155.00. Otherwise warning light on dash would remind of fault.

Typing the fault on the internet I found several people have reported the same thing and also reported a possible cure. The cure being lubricating the two latches. The near side was really stiff the offside not bad. Plainly neither had been oiled and were both dry and rusty. Did the deed and two days later hey ho it works.

No where on the service list does it mention oiling the latches or the door hinges, or the boot yet my 1964 Triumph 2000 which I service has it done annually!

I stupidly thought it would be included, instead I get a video of the underside of my car sent to my email. I imagine that oiling the latches would take less time and be more beneficial.

My only reason for using the main dealer was the addition of Volvo assist as some years ago it was a godsend with a previous Volvo. The car is a 2013 model which I intend to keep as a tow car, but I have decided to follow forum members to use an independent service garage, I have spoken to them and they seem to be very much down to earth so whilst we still tow a caravan they will get my business.

When will large dealerships learn, never whilst they can get away with less than excellent service.
hindol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 23:39   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindol View Post
Funny old world, just had car in a Somerset dealer needed a new sensor, on collecting the car told sensor on bonnet latch had failed and fitting a new one was £155.00. Otherwise warning light on dash would remind of fault.

Typing the fault on the internet I found several people have reported the same thing and also reported a possible cure. The cure being lubricating the two latches. The near side was really stiff the offside not bad. Plainly neither had been oiled and were both dry and rusty. Did the deed and two days later hey ho it works.

No where on the service list does it mention oiling the latches or the door hinges, or the boot yet my 1964 Triumph 2000 which I service has it done annually!

I stupidly thought it would be included, instead I get a video of the underside of my car sent to my email. I imagine that oiling the latches would take less time and be more beneficial.

My only reason for using the main dealer was the addition of Volvo assist as some years ago it was a godsend with a previous Volvo. The car is a 2013 model which I intend to keep as a tow car, but I have decided to follow forum members to use an independent service garage, I have spoken to them and they seem to be very much down to earth so whilst we still tow a caravan they will get my business.

When will large dealerships learn, never whilst they can get away with less than excellent service.
I don't know of any dealerships/manufacturers/independent garages that lubricate hinges or latches. You might get a wash/valet after a service, but that'll be about it. So yeah, it was a silly thought!

Do the same to your Volvo as you do with your Triumph (do it yourself). Don't expect a dealership or any garage really to lubricate your hinges/locks because its highly likely that they won't even bother. As you said, its not on a service bulletin, so why would they? Staff follow specific procedures & from my understanding, greasing door latches isn't one of them.

As the saying goes, "if you want something done right, do it yourself". Its not hard to buy a tin of spray or grease & give the doors etc a squirt every now & again.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 23rd, 2021 at 23:54.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 00:14   #3
ferg55

I think Hindol was saying he is disappointed that it isn't specified as part of a Volvo schedule service, rather than expecting someone to do it anyway. I agree with him, it should be part of the service, especially as the bonnet latches are a known weak point. Its an example of dealership servicing being little more than an oil and filter change and some visual checks which mostly get performed at an MOT anyway.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 16:00   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
I think Hindol was saying he is disappointed that it isn't specified as part of a Volvo schedule service, rather than expecting someone to do it anyway. I agree with him, it should be part of the service, especially as the bonnet latches are a known weak point. Its an example of dealership servicing being little more than an oil and filter change and some visual checks which mostly get performed at an MOT anyway.
Hence why I don't go near dealerships.

Lots of things should be part of the service schedule, but aren't... Transmission fluid changes are a perfect example of this. Volvo specify that the transmission is "sealed for life" & the fluid only needs to be changed if the vehicle is used for towing or as a taxi. That doesn't mean you don't change the fluid though if you don't use the car for towing or as a taxi!

So yes, lubricating locks/hinges should be part of the service schedule, but it isn't for whatever reason. I do it myself, as I know a dealership wouldn't bother. There's lots of things they don't bother doing to be honest... the only thing they do remember to do is overcharge for a basic service.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 25th, 2021 at 16:27.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 01:03   #5
pritchie

Looks like I will need to try oiling my bonnet catches as I am getting that error message of the bonnet open when it is not. I am also now getting the alarm going off randomly. Does anyone know is this likely to be linked to the bonnet open error issue? Thanks
pritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 01:06   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchie View Post
Looks like I will need to try oiling my bonnet catches as I am getting that error message of the bonnet open when it is not. I am also now getting the alarm going off randomly. Does anyone know is this likely to be linked to the bonnet open error issue? Thanks
Could be, as when you lock the car, it thinks something is still open.

It could also be the batteries in your alarm siren. These can be replaced, but you have to split the alarm siren open to do it. If you open the siren & you see corrosion on the circuit board, then batteries won’t solve your problem. You’ll need a new alarm siren then (whole unit).

I’d suggest attending to the bonnet latches first. If the alarm keeps going off randomly after you sort that issue, then its probably what I’ve mentioned above.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 01:08.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 22:09   #7
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchie View Post
Absolutely. My alarm goes off randomly and I also get the open bonnet warning. It's a common scenario on older P3's.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 15:38   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

You can spoof the circuit to accept the bonnet is closed using a paper clip as a jumper across the contacts in the latch switch connector while you allow the penetrat5ing fluid to slowly work its way in and free up the seized action. See: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279884 for more information.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:42   #9
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Funny this thread appeared, I had that issue, I found the remnants of an old swirl flap linkage jammed in mine on the drivers side. Extracted it, lubed it up, now it's fine!
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 03:52   #10
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I'll chime in again. Mine jammed up and I needed to extract the grille to get at my catches.
Long and short of it, the remnants of the remnants of the swirl flap linkage prevented my bonnet from being released.

Drivers side headlight houses the microswitch for the driver info/ecu.
2 x 8mm bolts hold a panel that covers the latch. Also holds the latch in place.
A screwdriver can pop off the plastic cover underneath the latch assembly, There will be the microswitch, obviously you can press it to test it. If it doesn't respond, then the switch could be replaced. I didn't look for its harness connector as I was more focused on why my bonnet wouldn't open.
The hinge looks like it will easily make contact with the microswitch so any issues with it should purely be electrical.

Hinges? I soaked mine in petrol to degrease, then soaked in oil to lube them back up.