Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 - MY21 or MY22?

Views : 2201

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2021, 14:00   #11
soupytwister
Master Member

Any closer to your decision? Sounds like delivery could slow, and used car prices could go up if a general slowdown across the global demand for chips.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57105368

Maybe the MY21 is now worth more consideration? The google android stuff is really what it comes down to. I'd probably be in a similar dilemma, but having just bought an MY21 XC90, Sensus is still a very useable system, albeit with a few drawbacks! However, none of us have seen or used the XC60 Android implementation, so it's a bit of a stab in the dark to see if it's actually hugely better....
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 14:07   #12
soupytwister
Master Member

I would say my biggest complaint on Sensus is the fact they decided to incorporate the heater controls into Sensus. I'd rather have them as physical dials as much easier to use while driving.

This won't change with Android. The temperature controls will still be in the display as far as I can tell.

Oh, and the MY22 has hidden tailpipes - that will either float your boat or not

As for electric v fuel heater.....I have a fuel one, and I'd rather have the longer electric range without the electric heating eating into electric range. Horses for courses. OK, it's not as green, but going further on electric only is perhaps more green anyway!

All our electricity in Scotland is from renewables most days, so there's limited CO2 from the electricity generation at source.
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2021, 14:15   #13
Saftlad

Yeah, MY21 is definitely back into consideration, as I can see long delays coming in for all brands. I don't want to be keeping my current car past the end of August as the MOT & servicing dates will be getting much closer (October).

The heater may actually be a non-issue for us, as it is likely to be plugged in overnight anyway, so if it the pre-conditioning is needed it shouldn't adversely affect the battery range.

Typically I sent an email to the dealer yesterday to say we're not going to take the MY21 any further. Time to give him a call and eat some humble pie, he must think I'm a right idiot!
Saftlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2021, 14:24   #14
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saftlad View Post
The heater may actually be a non-issue for us, as it is likely to be plugged in overnight anyway, so if it the pre-conditioning is needed it shouldn't adversely affect the battery range.

Typically I sent an email to the dealer yesterday to say we're not going to take the MY21 any further. Time to give him a call and eat some humble pie, he must think I'm a right idiot!
Not so sure about the heater. It kicks in sometimes during the journey with normal use of the aircon. Which means the electric will be used during the journey too.

As for the dealer, he just sees pound signs whatever you do No humble pie required! He's just a shopkeeper really (no offence to shopkeepers!).

Last edited by soupytwister; May 14th, 2021 at 14:28.
Old May 14th, 2021, 14:38   #15
mannyo1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
I would say my biggest complaint on Sensus is the fact they decided to incorporate the heater controls into Sensus. I'd rather have them as physical dials as much easier to use while driving.

This won't change with Android. The temperature controls will still be in the display as far as I can tell.
I believe they are.

I don't mind the temperature control on the screen, but in the 2 weeks I've owned the car I now use voice control to set the interior temperature.

Press steering wheel button, say "Set temperature to 22 degrees" and bingo without the need to remove hands from the wheel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mannyo1221 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2021, 15:58   #16
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo1221 View Post
I believe they are.

I don't mind the temperature control on the screen, but in the 2 weeks I've owned the car I now use voice control to set the interior temperature.

Press steering wheel button, say "Set temperature to 22 degrees" and bingo without the need to remove hands from the wheel.
I hear a lot of complaint re having to use sensus for all temp controls. And agree that can be very fiddly whilst driving.

But I do it all by voice command now. Heating, fan, heated seats and wheel etc. Works a treat.

Problem is if anyone else in the car is talking at the same time then you have no chance!!!
Old May 14th, 2021, 17:01   #17
soupytwister
Master Member

What's wrong with a good old fashioned knob

You can change temps/fan speed without looking. Voice control is a faff....
Old May 17th, 2021, 10:39   #18
Saftlad

Decision made, I'll pick up a MY21 R-Design Pro on Saturday .

Figured that even if I run it for a year and make sure it is the right car for us, we should be able to then swap it out if the MY22 (or maybe even MY23) is that much better for not a huge amount of money. Fingers crossed the chip shortage will also have passed by then.

C'mon Saturday, hurry up

Last edited by Saftlad; May 17th, 2021 at 10:46.
Saftlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 10:46   #19
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saftlad View Post
Decision made, I'll pick up a MY21 R-Design Pro on Saturday .

Figured that even if I run it for a year and make sure it is the right car for us, we should be able to then swap it out if the MY22 is that much better for not a huge amount of money. Fingers crossed the chip shortage will also have passed by then.

C'mon Saturday, hurry up
Congratulations. I think once you've been in the MY21, you'll probably think that getting an MY22 purely for android UI will probably not be worth it. You never know though.. Save your money for the MY23/24 when I'm sure the XC60 will be due a new model
Old May 18th, 2021, 08:51   #20
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Congratulations. I think once you've been in the MY21, you'll probably think that getting an MY22 purely for android UI will probably not be worth it. You never know though.. Save your money for the MY23/24 when I'm sure the XC60 will be due a new model
Please see my earlier post, the XC90 isn’t getting the Android Automotive system in MY22 - presume this is because the new model is due next year.