Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPG Real-life

Views : 3740

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2008, 18:00   #11
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

My 05 2.5T Petrol Geartronic regularly returns 35 MPG on 90 mile each way motorway runs including the M25 Car Park at Junction 5.

Pence per mile seems to be about the same as the Diesels.
So maybe the petrol models aren't too bad in comparsion to the Diesels.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 18:17   #12
akash

Theres actually an interesting "formula" when it comes to Diesel and Petrol
You only notice a difference in cost when it comes to the two if you do a certain amount of mileage with Diesel. We were talking about this at work last week and one of the guys pointed it out - when we worked it out - it added up

I will try and get this from him but you need to do X amount per month/year (cant remember) to really notice the difference

But on the other note, you do tend to have longer service intervals with Diesel compared to Petrol with the potential downside of louder engine - though people like Jaguar are really refining their engines (or whoever owns it). I drove a 2.7l jag S-type and I couldnt believe the petrol tank lid said Diesel - very quiet
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 22:03   #13
br1anuk

We've had our 2.4d se V70 manual for about a week now and we haven't had a chance to give it a long run, but I'm gob smacked that the average mpg is 26.......

Our last car was a Nissan X-Trail which wasn't exactly slow and we always used it in 4wd and that returned high 30's.

It's a good job the price of fuel is dropping.

Does anyone on here have a new 2.0d at all to get an idea of it's fuel economy?

Cheers
Brian.
br1anuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:07   #14
dodgyken
Master Member

If you are stuck in stop-start traffic in town - the V70 diesels (2.4 and D5) are shockingly bad - especially when new.

Mine has taken a while to get better - now at 12000 miles - is starting to get better (even with the remap). A steady 70mph cruise will return 47mpg with a door to door 60 mile run (town (7 miles) and motorway) will return around 45mpg.

With the 1800KG trailer on the back at a steady 62mph it returns 31mpg on the motorway - which is very good.

My problem is I like giving her a good thrash - and have the ideal road between my home and the local IKEA - I use the geartronic and downshift to 4500rpm or so.

I might try a steady cruise this weekend - 65mph to see how it goes - I hate driving economically though.

On the flipside - an XC90 3.2 returns around 15mpg in town!
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:06   #15
dodgyken
Master Member

I did 2 motorway runs at the weekend - down on Friday @ 65mph - back on Sunday at 70mph - looks to have averaged around 50mpg.

I am very happy with that.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 13:11   #16
Almost grown up

Hi everyone. My first post too. I have recently bought a 57 plate V70 2.4 DSE and I have to say I am also dissapointed with the fuel consumption . Figures everyone seems to be getting are certainly at odds with the official published figures.

Did a round trip to Cardiff at the weekend from north Wales for the rugby international - round trip of approx 360 miles - and averaged about 35mpg.
On mixed driving locallyI am barely getting 30 mpg and my local mileage does include some 20 plus dual carriageway miles and careful driving.

All in all - nice car but very dissapointing fuel consumption. Whether or not I keep it we shall see.
Almost grown up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 20:41   #17
T5R+
V70 Fan

The poor fuel consumption has spoilt my otherwise enjoyment of the car. So ****** off that I refuse to figure out the mpg as may decide to sell the car. Sorry, it is the little things that irk me, major issues I take in my stride.

I last had a 320DCi saloon auto and would put in £20 diesel to get from Heathrow to Manchester airport. The V70 D5 manual takes £23/4. Appreciate will consume more fuel during winter months but would have expected the MB auto to have had the inferior mpg? I have racked up 11K miles to date, so hope to see an improvement soon.

Previously had a V70 EuIII and would regularly see 50+mpg (even as high as 67mpg over 2 round trips Heathrow/Manchester i.e approx 840miles). I used the brim-2-brim methodology for my calculations and do not rely on the fuel computer.

Anyone thinking of buying the Generation 3 D5 should seriously consider a Generation 2 EuIII - especially if self funding.
T5R+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 09:53   #18
dodgyken
Master Member

I accept it is not as good as the brochure states - and is now off the pace compared with rivals.

However the D5 - with passenger, fuel, and luggage will come in over 1900KG - which is a lot of car to shift.

I have managed economical runs - but only if I keep the speed at 70mph below on the motorway.

Could be worse - you could be fueling a T6!!
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 17:36   #19
T5R+
V70 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post

Could be worse - you could be fueling a T6!!
LOL - timely comment........there is an ongoing debate within my household.....want to purchase a XC90 T6 with the trimmings as our 2nd vehicle, but SWMBO wants to stick with her "shopping trolley car".

At least with a T6, I am prepared for fuel returns in the high teens or mid-20s.

The XC90 prices have surely got to solidify, they are such bargains at this time, even with the legendary tyre consumption.
T5R+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 08:24   #20
Philthy

The consumption of the D5 doesn't really bother me as long as it's reasonable. I'm getting almost 30mpg in town traffic with the S80 but it drops to around 23/5mpg if it's nose to tail stuff with plenty of pull up/pull off driving. Consumption improves if I switch to manual instead of auto. On a motorway run with two adults I can get 43ish mpg providing I don't go much above 70mph. If I compare the figures to the Lexus IS220d i had, that returned 35 mpg in town and about 45mpg on a run at a steady mind numbing 56mpg. My previous 2.4 S80 returned a wallet thumping mid teens around town and a misrely 22/24mpg on a run.

Use of the cruise control improves the mpg in the D5 and also did in the Lexus.