Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1996 940 Classic Estate - 2.3 LPT

Views : 681

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2023, 10:26   #1
darkyoung1000

Default 1996 940 Classic Estate - 2.3 LPT

Volvo 940 Classic Estate – 2.3l Low Pressure Turbo – (B230 FK) – Manual 5 – speed
104, 330 Miles – MOT until October 2023

Bought in July 2022 as a stopgap to attend a family memorial service in Scotland, it made an excellent alternative to a camper van. The previous owner had it for 12 years and kept it garaged, only using it for local trips to move fitness equipment around schools where he was a coach, which explains the relatively low mileage for the year (102K when we bought it, with a couple of thousand added since).

My wife and I having done an 800 mile round trip to Perthshire and back via the Yorkshire Dales, then used it for occasional light duties and a subsequent longer trip to Anglesey for a week’s holiday.
It is fitted with a tow bar and electrics (although the previous owner didn’t use them), but we have confirmed that the electric work and have briefly towed an empty horsebox. I believe the payload capacity is 1600kg and we had intended to get a motorbike trailer for longer trips to Scotland.
For a ‘stopgap’ it has been with us far longer than originally intended, as we both grew up with estates and love having it, however, on-street parking and the imminent return of another car that has been undergoing restoration means that we have taken the hard decision to move it on.

It was not without issues when we got it, and we have had the following work done since buying it:
ABS Sensors (ABS light now out)
Timing Belt (precautionary measure)
New radiator as the old one was leaking
New Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) ancillaries (oil trap, flame trap, silicone hoses) as it was idling too high (1600+ RPM) due to sludge build up in the oil trap.
2 new rear tyres - A-rated for wet weather grip.
Oil Change September 2022
New exhaust mid-box pipe to back box and new back box November 2022
New HT leads February 2023

If you wanted to extract more power, my understanding is that the difference between the LPT and the HPT is the amount of boost they are running (3psi for the LPT, 7 psi for the HPT) – the engine internals are the same. The car will be sold with a boost gauge and manual boost controller which I had purchased for just this purpose, but not fitted. This apparently boosts fuel economy as well as power if online reports from people that have done just this are to be believed....

As you’d expect, the bodywork has some minor scratches but overall the paintwork is in excellent condition, with a minor rust blemish in the near side rear window surround and a small section of rear near side light missing (but not letting water in)

The cassette player doesn’t work but the radio is fine – I have been using a Bluetooth adaptor plugged into the cigarette lighter to stream DAB/music/Audio Books etc. through the stereo which is tuned to receive this signal.
The interior black velour is in good condition; however, the door cards have wrinkled in places as appears typical! New custom mats have recently been fitted.
As a member of the Pistonheads online community – our ownership and a timeline of works can be found in the ‘Reader’s Cars section, under the heading ‘Moving Stuff is my (9)Forte’

In summary, it’s been a delight to have this car for so long, and if space was not an issue, we’d be keeping it.

It comes with a raft of previous MOTs and history of work carried out since we bought it. It also comes with a Haynes manual and service parts I’d not got round to fitting yet (gearbox oil, fuel filter etc.)

The price is £2,750 and the car is located in York.
darkyoung1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 10:27   #2
darkyoung1000

More photos….
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 10:29   #3
darkyoung1000

Final photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5877EBE3-B61E-4586-AB7B-9214E7892E13.jpg (123.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg FB9614FF-5073-47AD-A3D7-3851ABF8A0A5.jpg (109.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 32ECE37D-3D38-46DF-8903-668A109C672B.jpg (187.3 KB, 10 views)