Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Volvo Car Press Releases
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Volvo Car Press Releases A selection of press releases from The Volvo Car Corporation

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

City safety bonus

Views : 2701

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 18:55   #1
Clan
Experienced Member

Default City safety bonus

VOLVO'S CITY SAFETY TECHNOLOGY DRIVES DOWN CHAUFFEUR COMPANY'S AT FAULT REAR IMPACT ACCIDENTS BY 28%

Volvo's City Safety technology helps chauffeur company, Tristar, improve customer safety and reduce vehicle-off-road costs
Tristar's rear impact accidents, where the driver was at fault have decreased by 28% in the first six months of trialling City Safety
From Spring 2012, it is planned that all of Tristar's Volvo fleet will be fitted with City Safety*
Volvo has helped high profile chauffeur company, Tristar Worldwide, meet its goal of improving customer safety and driving down vehicle-off-road costs by dramatically reducing its at fault accident rates and associated costs in the first six months of trialling Volvo's revolutionary City Safety technology.

The award winning technology, which acts as an additional pair of eyes in heavy traffic, helping drivers avoid collisions at low speeds, has contributed to a 28% drop in Tristar's rear impact accidents, where one of its drivers has been at fault - and that's just since September 2011.

Tristar's newest V70, XC70 and S80 models are all fitted with City Safety as standard and help keep its Virgin Atlantic Airways' Upper Class customers safe when chauffeuring them to and from the airport.

The chauffeur company has been so impressed with City Safety, it believes it has the potential to further decrease its rear impact statistics by up to 50% once all its models are fitted with the technology.

City Safety works by keeping watch on vehicles in front with the help of a laser sensor built into the windscreen at the height of the rear-view mirror. The technology works at speeds of up to 19mph and will make the car automatically brake if the driver does not respond in time when the car in front slows down or stops.

Dean De Beer, Tristar's Group CEO said: "We have been incredibly impressed with the improvement City Safety has made on our rear-end impacts in such a short space of time. While the majority of rear-end collisions occur at relatively low speeds, this type of accident can be costly, as it can involve personal injury. Our drivers do a lot of inner city driving, and City Safety helps them stay alert in heavy traffic, avoiding costly accidents and keeping our passengers and those around us safe."

Tristar chauffeurs 115,000 Virgin customers to and from airports annually, and having now successfully trialled Volvo's City Safety technology, it is also keen to adopt other technology, such as Volvo's BLIS system.

BLIS is Volvo's award winning Blind Spot Information System, and works by helping detect vehicles in the rear blind spot on both sides of the car. With changing lanes causing 12.8% of Tristar's accidents, Tristar is keen to utilise Volvo's safety technology to further reduce this statistic.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 09:25   #2
kenny37

Would it not be cheaper to hire drivers that drove properly and leave the correct room in front!!! Yes i know, no one does and this would only work in a perfect world. Would also like to know now that they can stop quicker how many times have they been rammed from behind ?
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 09:58   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny37 View Post
Would it not be cheaper to hire drivers that drove properly and leave the correct room in front!!! Yes i know, no one does and this would only work in a perfect world. Would also like to know now that they can stop quicker how many times have they been rammed from behind ?
the car doesnt stop any quicker in fact it is left until the very last milisecond before the brakes are applied so the accident is JUST avoided or at least minimised . The advantage is that the camera is devoting 100% of it's time looking for obstructions , whilst with a human this just isnt possible for ANYONE . what if you sneeze for example, or look at a road sign or the speedo or in the rear mirror etc ... you just dont care about being rammed from behind do you if you avoid hitting someone or thing .
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 02:56   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Isn't this the same system they tested publicly and drove the car into the back of another vehicle...?

As Kenny says, it is easier to either slow a little or increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front if you know you need to check a mirror, roads signs, satnav or even sneeze you can accommodate for this in your driving.
I certainly don't need my car stopping me when I don't need it being done (system fault?) and prefer to know how to drive correctly. I would prefer it if other road users were also suitably trained/educated rather than the dumbing down that seems to be happening.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 07:01   #5
pagan8c
Master Member

It is fitted as standard in my soon to be delivered S60 so it will be an assistance for me.I mentioned I had the driver assistance package on the car to the insurance people which resulted in a £25 discount so I am happy.The car is new to me but is 9months old so I have not paid for it as an extra it was just fitted on the car .
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:42   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Isn't this the same system they tested publicly and drove the car into the back of another vehicle...?

As Kenny says, it is easier to either slow a little or increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front if you know you need to check a mirror, roads signs, satnav or even sneeze you can accommodate for this in your driving.
I certainly don't need my car stopping me when I don't need it being done (system fault?) and prefer to know how to drive correctly. I would prefer it if other road users were also suitably trained/educated rather than the dumbing down that seems to be happening.

Des. . .
Yes thats the one , that happened due to a human error in setting up the test display , very bad i know but it doesnt happen in practice of course out on the road , look how many volvos there are out there now , have you heard of any accidental activations? It won't stop you without it needing to happen . It's not about training , good or bad drivers , it can easly happen that you or anybody else can run into the back of the car in front or kill someone walking in front , from the most minor of distractions , we are all human . Remember City Safety is calculated to work at the very last moment of no return , when there is nothing to loose and everything to gain which will either prevent any damage or bring down the speed enough to result in only a minor impact .

Richard Branson's volvo fleet has had a 33% reduction in his drivers running into the back of cars since buying city safety equipped volvos last september .

Last edited by Clan; Apr 15th, 2012 at 13:24.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 21:13   #7
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

volvos always have been known for safety

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 22:38   #8
adham

this is great saved me a couple of times from crashing!
adham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 22:43   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the car doesnt stop any quicker in fact it is left until the very last milisecond before the brakes are applied so the accident is JUST avoided or at least minimised . The advantage is that the camera is devoting 100% of it's time looking for obstructions , whilst with a human this just isnt possible for ANYONE . what if you sneeze for example, or look at a road sign or the speedo or in the rear mirror etc ... you just dont care about being rammed from behind do you if you avoid hitting someone or thing .
Its not a camera. Its just a beam, that senses the car in front.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 22:55   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Its not a camera. Its just a beam, that senses the car in front.

Regards
yes a lazer sorry i am getting mixed up with pedestrian detection ....